The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Do you have the figures of how many mps donated their pay increase and where?

There is a thought that really MP’s salaries should be massively increased to similar levels as directors of private companies so that it attracts more real world people into government.  It might also mean that a £10-100k donation isn’t going to sway them in their decision making for the country.

• Like 2

Just now, bickster said:

Going back to the MPs Pay distraction. Your bog standard MP is underpaid for what they do.

They need to be paid a lot more IMO but remove any form of second income. This is the only way to get talented people elected with as little corruption as possible

Complaining about MPs pay is a distraction that always happens every year and the issue isn't the pay rise.

You beat me too it, I was just typing the same thing.  

Good point about all the other bits of income they get - pay them £1m each but no other income and expenses scandals etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

Obviously. I don't see how my post relates to that though.

I’m not having a go at you.The post you quoted was “ featherbedding the retired at the expense of the young”. A typical attempt to incite resentment from the young towards the older generation, when the true blame lies in Downing Street. It’s what they do, it’s what they’ve always done. It’s a political black ops tactic. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, AshVilla said:

Energy price cap going up by an extra £500 is going to wound a lot of people considering many can't even afford to pay at the current rates.

We have to adapt. Rather than put heating on I tend to use low electric blankets, throws which are cheap to run. 

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

You beat me too it, I was just typing the same thing.  

Good point about all the other bits of income they get - pay them £1m each but no other income and expenses scandals etc.

I would still be concerned that politics in general seem to attract the type of person who use the system for their own aims and pockets, however much you pay them.

38 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

I would still be concerned that politics in general seem to attract the type of person who use the system for their own aims and pockets, however much you pay them.

It's more likely to happen the less you pay them and it's more likely to happen the more people see MPs getting away with it

3 hours ago, bickster said:

Going back to the MPs Pay distraction. Your bog standard MP is underpaid for what they do.

They need to be paid a lot more IMO but remove any form of second income. This is the only way to get talented people elected with as little corruption as possible

Complaining about MPs pay is a distraction that always happens every year and the issue isn't the pay rise.

This is one of the few things I utterly disagree with you about.

They're not underpaid, in the main. An enormous amount of them are lobby fodder. They simply do what "the party" says they should do. Party first, constituents second. Their allowances, expenses, wages, pay-offs, pensions...compared to what they "produce" are at best " commensurate with the work they put in" and less charitably a **** disgrace, given their contribution.

There are, I accept, many, or some, examples where the opposite might be the case. But overall, no. They're overpaid for what they do. If they were more free from the party system, more independent, more representative and more engaged, then I'd agree. But I don't see it like that.

• Like 2

That video is heartbreaking but thank God for people like that amazing lady in it Pam. It struck home what she said that they work all hours because they care about the community. Those words should have come out the mouth of the local Tory MP who should have been shoulder to shoulder with Pam. Instead all she had to say was that people chose to trade there as a preference to other places around the world and as the video showed that was deluded, total bullshit. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

Â