The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

9 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

So Liz dodges the urgent question because she’s got something super important and super secret that no one can know about. Turns up for the speech by her new chancellor, answers no questions and quickly exits before any can be asked back to the super secret bunker.

Any amusing guesses what the super secret and super important “thing” is?

It could be like the wizard of oz but she’ll need “all of the above” won’t she? Courage, a brain and a heart!

Reuters :detect:

British Prime Minister Liz Truss met earlier on Monday with lawmaker Graham Brady, who heads up the committee in charge of running Conservative Party leadership contests, The Guardian reported, citing sources from Truss's office.

"Truss was with Sir Graham Brady during Labour's urgent question in HoC (House of Commons) - as per No 10 sources," Guardian Political Editor Pippa Crerar said on Twitter.

4 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

Yeah, you're right about the standing charges going up a lot. But while the costs for bailing out all the energy companies are passed onto the surviving ones that that will factor into the rises, apparently companies just get to choose what standing charge they want to charge people and this sits outside the standard cap. So it varies heavily from provider to provider.

Standing charges are a daily fee for gas and electricity customers and are added to your bill regardless of how much energy you use. Ofgem does not set a limit on this part of your bill – it is down to suppliers how they break down unit and standing charge prices below its overall cap.

That article is not right. Standing charges are currently laid out by ofgem, same as unit charges

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/information-consumers/energy-advice-households/check-if-energy-price-cap-affects-you

Customer with typical usage, paying by direct debit* 

Energy Price Guarantee - From 1 October 2022 

Electricity 
£0.34 per/kWh
 Daily standing charge: £0. 46

Gas

£0.10 per kWh
 Daily standing charge: £0. 28

So, in terms of the government, I really don’t understand the determination not to levy an increased windfall tax on the likes of shell and BP and the others who are reaping huge profits for no extra effort, while at the same time the government is recovering money from poor people in the form of these standing charges, for energy distribution companies going bust.

Here's my prediction.  

In the coming weeks Truss will miss a few meetings and a replacement will stand in for her.  The official explanation will be urgent official business.  

Then she will announce that she is suffering with an illness for some time.  This unspecified illness has become much worse recently and she needs to step aside for health reasons.  

The Tory Party will reluctantly accept her resignation and rally round her whilst she bravely recovers from the serious but unspecified illness.  

• Like 3

The complete irony is how she modelled herself on Thatcher, The Lady is not for turning was even cited I think, than has turned faster and completely on pretty much everything. 

The Lady most definitely IS for turning. 

26 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Here's my prediction.  

In the coming weeks Truss will miss a few meetings and a replacement will stand in for her.  The official explanation will be urgent official business.  

Then she will announce that she is suffering with an illness for some time.  This unspecified illness has become much worse recently and she needs to step aside for health reasons.  

The Tory Party will reluctantly accept her resignation and rally round her whilst she bravely recovers from the serious but unspecified illness.  

I think the same 

31 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Here's my prediction.  

Feigning illness will be so undignified. Surely cant happen but can see it exactly as you describe.

1 hour ago, desensitized43 said:

So Liz dodges the urgent question because she’s got something super important and super secret that no one can know about. Turns up for the speech by her new chancellor, answers no questions and quickly exits before any can be asked back to the super secret bunker.

Any amusing guesses what the super secret and super important “thing” is?

It could be like the wizard of oz but she’ll need “all of the above” won’t she? Courage, a brain and a heart!

She'll be in Ukraine tomorrow. Or a freezer. Can't remember which one works the best. 

9 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

She'll be in Ukraine tomorrow. Or a freezer. Can't remember which one works the best. 

If she's terrified of Keir Starmer, I'd probably not recommend down-town Kiev at the moment.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Here's my prediction.  

Interesting take. I think you may be spot on here.

I still can’t get my head around the facts,

1) Truss promised to slash taxes if she was elected as Tory leader / PM.

2) Truss was elected Tory leader / PM

3) Truss slashed taxes.

4) Everyone lost their minds (rightly)

5) Markets tanked

6) Truss attempts to fix it, and fails

7) Truss sacks the Chancellor who was following her orders.

8 ) Truss position is hanging by a thread

9) Truss appoints a new Chancellor who’s first task is announcing all the tax cuts are being scrapped as they were a terrible idea.

The key issue here for me was the tory members who voted for her to be leader, when she had such an idiotic plan. It looked a disaster from the start. It’s on them.

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Hunt did a much superior job at explaining things than the useless chancellor before and the even more useless PM

He is just a polished performer. Of course he is also the man that laid the chickens that have been coming home to roost in the NHS.

Replace the first letter of his name with a C as that is exactly what he is.  A grade A one.

• Like 2

Â