The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

2 hours ago, Eligius said:

lt.jpg

I am not sure intelligence is the most important attribute for a politician.

Animal-cunning and a ruthless streak wins every time.

Narcissistic personality disorder:

Inflated Ego.

Lack of Empathy.

Need for Attention.

Repressed Insecurities.

Few Boundaries.

Ay, caramba!

She seems well qualified for the job.

Edited by MakemineVanilla
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I am not sure intelligence is the most important attribute for a politician.

Animal-cunning and a ruthless streak wins every time.

Narcissistic personality disorder:

Inflated Ego.

Lack of Empathy.

Need for Attention.

Repressed Insecurities.

Ay, caramba!

She seems well qualified for the job.

Few Boundaries.

Sure, they invariably have all that. But they still need intelligence. Thatcher was an evil cow, but she wasn't stupid. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Not sure why you're all wound up about this, makes no difference who in charge they're all the same! 

The way that it works, is that hating the guts of one party while ignoring the faults of the other, offers the chance of believing that the system is basically just, or could be.

The alternative is to conclude that it is all a big sham which has kept the same people in power for centuries.

Ordinary folk just like to have something to believe in.

Self-delusion is Man's greatest gift.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

The way that it works, is that hating the guts of one party while ignoring the faults of the other, offers the chance of believing that the system is basically just, or could be.

The alternative is to conclude that it is all a big sham which has kept the same people in power for centuries.

Ordinary folk just like to have something to believe in.

Self-delusion is Man's greatest gift.

Can you suggest a workable alternative? 

33 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Not sure why you're all wound up about this, makes no difference who in charge they're all the same! 

21 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Assuming you're not on the wind-up, no they aren't. 

Labour very probably would be shit - but they'd be shit in a different way. The lesser of two evils, by some distance. 

It’s possible Rob meant it doesn’t matter which Tory is in charge. But in case he means it doesn’t matter which party is in charge, my high brow and well thought out analogy is Labour are horse manure. The Tories are dog shit.

I wouldn’t particularly want to find a tonne of either left on my doorstep, but horse manure is inherently less disgusting and toxic.

• Haha 1

On 04/09/2022 at 11:08, markavfc40 said:

More cancel culture from these snowflake libcucks in the tory party. 

https://inews.co.uk/news/media/bbc-reset-laura-kuenssberg-show-joe-lycetts-live-tv-ambush-truss-incandescent-1833395

Comedians will be prevented from ambushing politicians on the BBC’s flagship Sunday morning show, after Liz Truss’s team were said to be “incandescent” that her interview with Laura Kuenssberg was hijacked by Joe Lycett.
The debut edition of Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg was derailed by the guest panellist, who used his platform to sarcastically praise the incoming prime minister.
There was concern within the BBC that the edition, which reignited criticism of the BBC’s impartiality among Conservative MPs, could have long-term consequences.

“Team Truss was incandescent afterwards. She agreed to give a significant interview after blowing out Nick Robinson,” an insider said. “It confirmed all their prejudices that the BBC is left-wing and just a bit silly.”
Truss is expected to push ahead with a review designed to produce an alternative to the licence fee.
The controversy couldn’t have come at a worse time for BBC Director-General Tim Davie, who faces a grilling by MPs on Tuesday.
Kuenssberg told viewers she wanted her new show to be “fun” but appeared unprepared for Lycett, who is known for his stunts. The comedian could be heard whooping after the Truss interview, telling the presenter: “I’m actually very right-wing and I loved it.”

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Assuming you're not on the wind-up, no they aren't. 

Labour very probably would be shit - but they'd be shit in a different way. The lesser of two evils, by some distance. 

Labour were awfully shit before the tories took over. The early labour blair years were good until the war the credit crunch (that labour totally made a mess of) 

I would say they they would be shit as well but probably not as bad as this curtent conservative party. Since Cameron left its got worse and worse.

Edited by Demitri_C

30 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

That's the problem, we are stuck with it and the people who run it are not likely to give up their self-interests lightly.

But we should not get sentimental about it either, because the idea that the government are an expression of the will of the people, is fanciful to say the least.

There definitely seems to be a discrepancy between public opinion as revealed by opinion polls and the actual policies of the government of the day.

9 minutes ago, Jareth said:

A big offer from Truss on energy might change a few minds. She'll be able to say she solved the crisis - and who cares about the £150 billion it'll cost, that's someone else's problem. 

She’s gonna go big early, Boris has his “got Brexit done”, Triss will have saved Christmas with her cost of living crisis averted.

We’ll be hearing about it for years. So Liz, the ambulance waiting times have doubled since you took over and it’s on average 7 months to see a GP… LT: well as you know I ensured millions of people had warm homes. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jareth said:

A big offer from Truss on energy might change a few minds. She'll be able to say she solved the crisis - and who cares about the £150 billion it'll cost, that's someone else's problem. 

It is, and it isn't. I agree a massive bailout will see her popularity shoot through the roof. It'll be like Sunak and furlough all over again.

The first time the majority of the country has heard of her, and it's to be told that she'll save them from their number one cause of panic? Elections have been won on less in the past.

But it's still her problem. Because she has to do it to stay in power for popularity reasons. But she's won the job solely because she currently has the support of the "lower taxes, sink-or-swim, no handouts for the lazy poor" bit of the party. So by immediately betraying them, she scuttles the (already limited) authority she has amongst the MPs and members. 

Zugzwang. 

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

A council made up of actual leading experts in the various sub-fields of government that rotates in personnel regularly? 

Would probably make it tougher to get things done but at least it would remove the need for career politicians.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Why is a bail out of energy companies necessary? They are in profit? 

Surely cap the price to operating costs/inflation profit increase?

Something I’m missing? 

From a Tory perspective I understand they wouldn’t want to stop their mates making massive profits at the expensive of the average Jo, so would bail out and then make them pay anyway via budget cuts on services. Seen that many times before. 

Â