The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

11 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

I suspect though that the Brexit Party will take a sizeable portion of the vote away from the Tories

Nah not in Brecon and Radnor. UKIP rarely got 1K its a remain seat

10 minutes ago, bickster said:

Nah not in Brecon and Radnor. UKIP rarely got 1K its a remain seat

Ah fair enough! Still surely enough nut jobs in the area as with the rest of the country that votes against its own best interests? I mean, he got elected in the first place. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Ah fair enough! Still surely enough nut jobs in the area as with the rest of the country that votes against its own best interests? I mean, he got elected in the first place. 

Farming country and country towns. Used to be a Labour seat until the mid '70s  but the demographics have shifted a lot since then

• Like 1

I assume it's actually a damning indictment on the shallowness of the Tory bench in the constituency (The Brexit Party might not win many votes, but if all the potential Tory candidates are now supporting them, there's no one else to choose from). 

Or maybe his constituency party just really, really like him. Probably that. 

2 hours ago, cyrusr said:

Actually I was wrong, its a leave seat but very marginally, leave won here by less than the overall result, there is plentyof polling evidence (and election) that it has swung back to remain.

But my UKIP comment was correct, they got less than 600 votes last time.

Also someone has told me that the Tories feared the NF Party and Davies himself standing as an Independant Tory splitting the vote three ways (in effect he was blackmailing them here).

Add into that Con to LD voter defections because its a by-election and another de facto EU referendum (Plus Lab to LD too for same reason) I think the LDs must be favourites

• Like 1

These are our national values, apparently.

A HOMELESS Taunton man has been jailed for 20 weeks for sitting on the ground "without reasonable excuse".

Haydon Mark Baker, 33, who was staying at a homeless hostel at the time, pleaded guilty to a total of three similar offences when he appeared at Taunton Magistrates' Court last week.

He admitted sitting on the ground, which he was banned from doing under a Criminal Behaviour Order, outside Greggs, in North Street, on April 28; outside tReds, in East Street, on May 2; and outside McDonald's, in East Street, on May 5.

He was sent down for 20 weeks (concurrent) on each count, which were contrary to the Anti-social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014.

He was also ordered to pay a £115 victim surcharge, but there was no order for costs due to lack of means.

The court heard there was considered to be a high risk that he could be seen to be begging and that his deliberate actions were the latest in a line of deliberate breaches of the order.

The Act under which he was prosecuted comes almost 200 years after the Vagrancy Act 1824, which was repealed as this new law came in.  The 1824 Act was aimed at discharged servicemen from the Napoleonic Wars, who were causing a nuisance by begging in public, displaying their wounds and so on.

How little we have progressed.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, peterms said:

The Act under which he was prosecuted comes almost 200 years after the Vagrancy Act 1824, which was repealed as this new law came in.  The 1824 Act was aimed at discharged servicemen from the Napoleonic Wars, who were causing a nuisance by begging in public, displaying their wounds and so on.

How little we have progressed.

It appears to be an increasingly common occurrence.

Man banned from begging in Malvern

A PERSISTENT, homeless beggar has been issued with an order banning him from certain parts of Malvern.

The order is designed to tackle the most serious and persistent offenders whose behaviour has brought them before a criminal court and it is designed to curb anti-social behaviour.

Andrew Lane, 36, of no fixed abode, failed to attend a hearing at Worcester Magistrates Court on Tuesday June 18, where the Criminal Behaviour Order (CBO) was granted in his absence.

Lane is prevented from loitering in any place with the intention of begging, including doorways of shops or houses within the Malvern district.

Breaching a CBO is an offence and could result in Lane being arrested if he fails to comply.

The article itself refers to earlier comments made by members of the public and shop owners in the area a couple of months ago who questioned the accusation of 'aggressive begging' laid against the guy. On the occasions that I've walked past him, he's been nothing other than very polite. People often stop to talk to him, often bring him something to eat or a hot drink. I think my mother has referred to him having a sign next to him sometimes asking for work.

Maybe one person caught him on a bad day, maybe one person just complained because they can't stand the sight of someone homeless or maybe no one complained and they just issued the guy with the police notice in April as they knew that he wouldn't be able to stop and they'd be able to follow through with the Criminal Behaviour Order (were these what were formally CRASBOs?) and eventually they'd have him off their hands?

Call me a cynic but surely this would have nothing to do with the fact that two homeless people have died in the town in the last year, there has been a 'task force' set up (with local councillors and others) and perhaps, just perhaps, they're trying to move people on so that they become someone else's problem.

This is not weird in any way whatsoever.  Not his posture, not his body language, not his speech pattern, not the content of his answer and certainly not the activity he's describing.  It's equally un-weird whether it's true OR made up.

NOT.  WEIRD.

Clear?

• Haha 1

After Boris Johnson claimed that Sadiq Khan was responsible for £17m of the Garden Bridge funding, LBC looked into whether he was correct. Here's what we found.

During Boris Johnson's LBC phone-in with Nick Ferrari, the former Mayor of London was asked about the controversial Garden Bridge, in which over £50m was spent without even a brick being laid.

He said: "Actually, it was an excellent project on which the current Mayor lavished £17million and then decided to cancel it when there was ample private funding available to continue with the project."

When asked if the project could have gone ahead, he responded: "Yes of course it could. I don't seek to understand why he decided to cancel it, but there was ample private funding."

LBC's Political Editor Theo Usherwood investigated his claims and found what he said was not correct.

Speaking to James O'Brien, Theo said: "There are two points there. The first is that Sadiq Khan spent £17million on the Garden Bridge. That's not correct.

"The construction contract that was rushed through before Boris Johnson left office in February 2016 in order to keep the project afloat was £21m. The £17m is a chunk of that that was signed off by Boris Johnson.

"But that money was spent during Sadiq Khan's tenure. That's what he's trying to get around with that one.

Boris Johnson made a claim about the Garden Bridge that LBC checked. Picture: Heatherwick Studio / LBC

"The other thing is that there was ample private funding. But there was never private funding to complete the project and that's what Sadiq Khan always said to the Garden Bridge Trust - if you want to build this bridge, then you need to have money that goes all the way to the end of the project, so that we don't end up with a half-built bridge across London."

LBC

Oh look, the fat rocket polisher lies through his teeth when he's put on the spot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

This is not weird in any way whatsoever.  Not his posture, not his body language, not his speech pattern, not the content of his answer and certainly not the activity he's describing.  It's equally un-weird whether it's true OR made up.

NOT.  WEIRD.

Clear?

I'm ok with weird. What I'm not okay with is lies. He's making that up. As if he paints buses, it's something an 8 year old would say. 

Boris can't open his mouth without lying. 

20 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Jeremy word removed has said that the next PM must be "trustworthy" in order to deliver Brexit. 

That's both of them ruled out, then. 

Given that they're both Tories, a party that would sell their granny if there was a profit in it, I think we can rule out the entire blue team on this basis.

3 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

NOT.  WEIRD.

Clear?

Neither "true" nor "made up" really apply here.

More like "drugs".

Â