Aston Villa Home Support

Gary Thomas

On 13/03/2018 at 12:35, Stevo985 said:

Yep,

It's one of the reasons I said in the Bruce thread earlier this season that it was a shame that some people couldn't look past their dislike of the manager and just enjoy a season where we're winning football matches.

I think we're at that stage with most people now though.

I'm actually saddened to read posts like this Stevo - you and I don't see eye to eye on much but that's ok - but we are talking about Aston Villa - in my opinion we should not be talking about enjoying games in the championship opposed to struggling along in the prem - the reality is Aston Villa should be trying to break the top six/four season on season - maybe I'm lucky I have seen us win pretty much everything - and find it difficult to acknowledge that we have to settle for enjoyment of the championship.

i should say Stevo this post is not a pop at you - moreover the mismanagement of our great club 

14 hours ago, Dave J said:

I'm actually saddened to read posts like this Stevo - you and I don't see eye to eye on much but that's ok - but we are talking about Aston Villa - in my opinion we should not be talking about enjoying games in the championship opposed to struggling along in the prem - the reality is Aston Villa should be trying to break the top six/four season on season - maybe I'm lucky I have seen us win pretty much everything - and find it difficult to acknowledge that we have to settle for enjoyment of the championship.

i should say Stevo this post is not a pop at you - moreover the mismanagement of our great club 

I really don’t know what you’re on about again, Dave. 

I agree that we should be in the top 6 in the prem. Nobody is suggesting we should be settling for life in the Championship. 

I just said it was fun to win football matches. 

I actually think losing the mentally of where we ‘should’ be helps enjoy life in the Championship. 

We are where we deserve to be and until that changes we’ll stay there. May as well accept that and enjoy the good times like the win against Wolves. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I agree that we should be in the top 6 in the prem.

I don't. We'd like to be, who wouldn't? but "should be" not in a million years.

Man City and Utd. Chelsea and Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool all have a better case for "should be" in the top 6. Then there's the likes of Everton and a few others who have a better case than championship Villa.

I do know what you're getting at, but I think it's currently unrealistic in the extreme to say that we should be. To be honest there's very little prospect of anyone breaking into the top 6 any time soon.

You could make a better case perhaps to say we are where we are because of mismanagement over a long period and had that not occurred our level would have been somewhere around the top 8, with occasional ups and downs around that sort of position.

Until or unless we get out of this division, stay up and build, like you say, let's just enjoy winning more than we lose.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, blandy said:

Man City and Utd. Chelsea and Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool all have a better case for "should be" in the top 6. Then there's the likes of Everton and a few others who have a better case than championship Villa.

I do know what you're getting at, but I think it's currently unrealistic in the extreme to say that we should be. To be honest there's very little prospect of anyone breaking into the top 6 any time soon.

You could make a better case perhaps to say we are where we are because of mismanagement over a long period and had that not occurred our level would have been somewhere around the top 8, with occasional ups and downs around that sort of position.

Until or unless we get out of this division, stay up and build, like you say, let's just enjoy winning more than we lose.

Obviously I didn't mean now. I meant that's where the club should be aiming to be.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’d rather us be a Championship team battling for promotion every year than a Premier League team having their arses handed to them most weeks. 

We won’t be challenging each season we don’t go up next year. It be tougher and tougher the longer we stay here

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I really don’t know what you’re on about again, Dave. 

I agree that we should be in the top 6 in the prem. Nobody is suggesting we should be settling for life in the Championship. 

I just said it was fun to win football matches. 

And once again for whatever reason - you appear to have missed the point.

But that's ok.

43 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

We won’t be challenging each season we don’t go up next year. It be tougher and tougher the longer we stay here

I think we’ll always be there and there abouts for playoffs. Once finances are in order we will still be one of th wealthiest teams in the league in term of income generation. 

44 minutes ago, Dave J said:

And once again for whatever reason - you appear to have missed the point.

But that's ok.

I totally get where you are coming from. I never saw us win the league or lift the European cup but still for the majority of my Villa supporting life we have at least been a mid table Premier League team occasionally challenging top 4 and winning odd league cup. 

As time goes on we could easily become an established top end Championship team with the occasional promotion / relegation. Like Newcastle almost. 

I think we need to accept this. 

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think we’ll always be there and there abouts for playoffs. Once finances are in order we will still be one of th wealthiest teams in the league in term of income generation. 

Not when relegated teams come down with massive parachute payments. Teams like Bournemouth with their capacity of 53 will be able to massively outspend us. 

Premier League isn’t happy with just making itself a shit league. Wants to ruin the lower leagues too. 

Edited by blunther

1 hour ago, blunther said:

Not when relegated teams come down with massive parachute payments. Teams like Bournemouth with their capacity of 53 will be able to massively outspend us. 

Premier League isn’t happy with just making itself a shit league. Wants to ruin the lower leagues too. 

Didn’t help the likes of Sunderland, Hull, Norwich and Boro too much. 

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Didn’t help the likes of Sunderland, Hull, Norwich and Boro too much. 

Hasn’t helped us that much either unfortunately with how much has been wasted. Just saying that we won’t be able to outspend everyone in the future. 

On 17/03/2018 at 20:06, blunther said:

Again this with parachute payments, it isn't just the FA going "ah you poor souls getting relegated, here's £40m to help you bounce back", the money spent by even a shit PL team is astronomically higher than a Championship team, and the parachute payments are there to help with the running costs (infrastructure/wages/staff etc etc) so there isn't such a drastic cut off and huge overhaul straight away. It helps the business keep ticking over until the club can be run on a more even level. If it wasn't for those payments getting relegated would absolutely ruin teams as they just wouldn't be able to cut costs fast enough, especially these days when there's such a massive financial difference between the two leagues. 

The advantage relegated teams have is they are likely to have 1 or 2 higher profile players that can command Prem level transfer fees which should give them a little more money to play with, the downside being they will inevitably lose their best players and have to rebuild, which is rarely a smooth transition 

On 3/16/2018 at 20:42, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’d rather us be a Championship team battling for promotion every year than a Premier League team having their arses handed to them most weeks. 

Not for me. Villa belong in the top flight, not down in the lower leagues with the filth like SHA. Alright if we do get promoted we are just going to make up the numbers in the premier league but seeing huddersfield/brighton/bournemouth/etc. in the premier league and Villa down in the Championship just isn't right.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, villa89 said:

Not for me. Villa belong in the top flight, not down in the lower leagues with the filth like SHA. Alright if we do get promoted we are just going to make up the numbers in the premier league but seeing huddersfield/brighton/bournemouth/etc. in the premier league and Villa down in the Championship just isn't right.  

No sorry it is right. They have been well run clubs getting good managers and good players in. Until this season Villa have been a utter clustef**k of a football club this entire decade and the way we stunk the prem league out for 5 years before dropping down the plug hole, we truly deserved what we got.

• Like 3

On 22/03/2018 at 18:49, The Fun Factory said:

No sorry it is right. They have been well run clubs getting good managers and good players in. Until this season Villa have been a utter clustef**k of a football club this entire decade and the way we stunk the prem league out for 5 years before dropping down the plug hole, we truly deserved what we got.

This is absolutely correct, however if Villa had appointed any of those managers of those clubs or signed any of the kind of players they have signed, the fans would have been in uproar about the lack of ambition.  So we get a name like Lambert or Sherwood instead of a lesser known manager who has actually got what it takes. Or we sign Joe Cole etc. 

But yes, when we did try unknown cheaper foreign brigade instead of uncovering hidden gems we got dross.

Edited by sidcow

On 17/03/2018 at 12:54, blandy said:

Nothing happens anytime soon but we were Spurs equals until we imploded. Man City are where they are through a massive investment by a foreign owner. It was always the top 6 then for a while with the champions league it became a top 4 and we were just outside the elite group. IF we went up and invested wisely we could easily be looking at the group below the top 6 in no time then the hard work starts. In my lifetime we’ve been up and down and none of it happened quickly. Having a Chinese owner could be a great thing if we get challenging as that’s where the markets are but those fans generally follow success. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mocking Taylor for his awful shot ( though he is awful, he really is)

Screaming for Thor to shoot every 2 minutes. 

After pumping in 50 balls the last 2 home games resulting in zero goals, we work the ball and score from the edge of the box. We try to do similar and everyone screams to put the ball in the box.Taylor puts the ball in the box, it is cleared again and everyone goes **** mental.

3-0 up game is done we are working the ball around, nothing silly, no injuries, save yourselves. Reading are happy just to let us see out the game. Everyone goes mental for not breaking like 08/09 Man United.

Far too many tired miserable people in midweek. Gives me a headache.

Â