Pre-match thread

NulliSecundus

Not liking this stomach bug stuff. 

Looking at the training pictures uploaded today I think the main players I didn't spot were Grealish, Gil, Veretout, Gabby, Westwood and Sanchez.

Edit: I think I can see Sinclair in the background but it might be someone else. Adama also isn't there but we knew that from Sherwood's comments.

Edited by Fab

Would like to see Sanchez at DM, in place of Gana or Westwood, its a hard call but for me it would be Westwood to sit this one out, we need a change in midfield.

Grealish, Gabby and Sinclair to start up front.

Have a feeling we may be getting our annual  penalty 1_0, we win . UTV

Would like to see Sanchez at DM, in place of Gana or Westwood, its a hard call but for me it would be Westwood to sit this one out, we need a change in midfield.

Tinker - Sanchez, Gana, Grealish, Gabby and Sinclair, four at the back and a keeper - who's your other one?

coming up with my son for our first game of the season, hoping to extend him being a lucky omen.

So far 14 games attended won 12 drawn 2.. hoping for for 13 and 2 :)

The team has totally changed since our last game Liverpool at Wembley so I am really looking forward to seeing the new signings up close for the first time.

3-1 Villa win!

• Like 2

Doing some simplistic detective work and looking through the training pictures on the villa site today the noticeable absentees are; Grealish, Gill, Gabby, Westwood, Veretout and Sanchez.

Admittedly they may have been out of camera shot but you'd tend to expect photos of a couple of these at least. That would explain why TS didn't want to name names, I hope I'm wrong but if we have no Gill or Grealish then Sunderland can park the bus and get a point as we may have trouble unlocking them without these players.

The back 5 are all pictured along with Gana, Sinclair, Kozack and Gestede

coming up with my son for our first game of the season, hoping to extend him being a lucky omen.

So far 14 games attended won 12 drawn 2.. hoping for for 13 and 2 :)

The team has totally changed since our last game Liverpool at Wembley so I am really looking forward to seeing the new signings up close for the first time.

3-1 Villa win!

What a record. Sign him up for assistant manager

• Like 1

Tinker - Sanchez, Gana, Grealish, Gabby and Sinclair, four at the back and a keeper - who's your other one?

Whoops, Veretout or Gil

• Like 1

Need to go with as much pace as possible. It worked well enough at the stadium of Light in March. Would take out Gestede for this as people like O'Shea will want to be heading balls out all day rather than players running.

Not sure on who is ill but if they're all o.k I'd go with....

Guzan

Bacuna

Richards

Clark

Amavi

Westwood

Gana

Adama

Grealish

Gabby

Sinclair

If Adama isn't fit to start I'd bring in Gil but think Sherwood would start Gestede. 

Think the team will be this, assuming these players are healthy:

Guzan

Bacuna Richards Clark Amavi

Gueye Sanchez Westwood

Grealish

Sinclair Gestede

Think he will have all of Traore, Gil and Gabby on the bench and I have a feeling we'll need them in what will be a frustrating afternoon. The rest of the bench Bunn, Veretout, Baker, Ayew.

Not confident of a clean sheet which is worrying. On paper we should win this but unless Sunderland crumble in the first half I suspect this will be difficult.

I'm not convinced we play the right sort of football for Gestede just yet. We haven't adapted well enough yet to incorporate more crosses into our game. We will get there with this though. I'd be tempted to stick with Gabby up top on his own if only because he should cause O'Shea a nightmare, and if he can't score himself he would hopefully at least create a yard for someone else. I do agree with most though that Gestede and Sinclair will get the nod for this and he will drop out.

1-1

I reckon the attendance will be around 34,000.

I shall be in attendance with my mate and this will be the third villa/sunderland match we've gone to. Previous times were the memorable 0-0 draw under Mcleish and last December's enthralling 0-0 game.

We either break our goalless streak or Sherwood gets his first 0-0 draw.

I fancy us for the win, but I also think there will be a scare along the way, 3-1 to the Villa.

(But 0-0 is also a distinct possibility, so apologies in advance)