Pre-Match Thread

ismail-villa

Meanwhile for them.

McCarthy, Ward, Delaney, Dann, Souare, McArthur, Cabaye, Zaha, Puncheon, Sako, Murray.

No Bolasie.

For all the praise that Palace receive for the squad they have built, (correctly so) I believe our match day squad is at least on a par (I actually think it's better)

1-2 Gabby & Gestede.

For me the biggest problem with Villa for the last many many years (and looks like it will be this year too) is that I can never figure out what formation we are playing and what our philosophy is (long ball or passing or wing play or central play), we always have a bunch of players playing out of position which makes our starting eleven very messy and unbalanced. We have no idea what tactic we are playing today,we might be playing a 433, 4231, 41212 or 4312 and I bet we will be no wiser when the match is finished, if you look at all the good teams in the world you can look at their starting eleven and know exactly how they are playing and who is playing where (ofc they are also fluid and players are allowed to roam out of position) .

Therefor I feel Palace's squad look a lot stronger, they play a simple 4231, quick wingers creative and flamboyant cam with a strong striker. Simple but effective.

odd post. so because you can't figure it out, the players don't know?

It very often looks like the players don't know, most often it looks like we don't really play a formation but we just have 11 players on the pitch. Usually when we use wingers we use strikers who drift all over the place (gabby, Ayew this season). It usually just looks messy. Every strong team has one preferred formation and we don't seem to have one.

First two games this season we were short of options upfront due to the fitness/injuries, I think now we'll start to see more obvious shape. Sherwood even said as much that he's happy we now have options. I do agree though under Lambert it was hard to see the game plan, although how much of that was down to the lack of instruction, effectiveness of the game plan and the players ability to execute it I'm not sure. Probably equal measures.

Very open team from palace, Pardew's dropping of Jedinak annoys Palace fans.

Our 3 man midfield can hopefully control things.

dropped Jedinak? is that a bit of an arrogant move, thinking they don't need him to control our midfield?

Well he hasn't been starting this season, not just today.

ah ok, fair enough. Their first XI doesn't really look fantastic to me.

I think Sherwood is giving Gabby his chance to prove himself. Could be his last chance saloon.

His last chance number 437.

Just think the focus is on him now as we have much better players in the squad. Somehow I think Sherwood has an issue with Gabby, thinking that if he drops him altogther the fans may react negatively towards him, when really I think the it will be a morjority opposite.

I think it's a bit of a combination of two things - Gabby and Gestede up top makes sense without Grealish - you can lump long balls up to Gestede and hope Gabby picks up the scraps - if we're playing Grealish as a no. 10 then Gestede's lack of movement and Gabby's lack of intelligent movement put a lot of pressure on Jack.

I've a feeling Gabby won't be up front next to Gestede and will have more of a roaming role.

Meanwhile for them.

McCarthy, Ward, Delaney, Dann, Souare, McArthur, Cabaye, Zaha, Puncheon, Sako, Murray.

No Bolasie.

For all the praise that Palace receive for the squad they have built, (correctly so) I believe our match day squad is at least on a par (I actually think it's better)

1-2 Gabby & Gestede.

For me the biggest problem with Villa for the last many many years (and looks like it will be this year too) is that I can never figure out what formation we are playing and what our philosophy is (long ball or passing or wing play or central play), we always have a bunch of players playing out of position which makes our starting eleven very messy and unbalanced. We have no idea what tactic we are playing today,we might be playing a 433, 4231, 41212 or 4312 and I bet we will be no wiser when the match is finished, if you look at all the good teams in the world you can look at their starting eleven and know exactly how they are playing and who is playing where (ofc they are also fluid and players are allowed to roam out of position) .

Therefor I feel Palace's squad look a lot stronger, they play a simple 4231, quick wingers creative and flamboyant cam with a strong striker. Simple but effective.

It very often looks like the players don't know, most often it looks like we don't really play a formation but we just have 11 players on the pitch. Usually when we use wingers we use strikers who drift all over the place (gabby, Ayew this season). It usually just looks messy. Every strong team has one preferred formation and we don't seem to have one.

with so many new players that is to be expected.

Meanwhile for them.

No Bolasie.

1-2 Gabby & Gestede.

First two games this season we were short of options upfront due to the fitness/injuries, I think now we'll start to see more obvious shape. Sherwood even said as much that he's happy we now have options. I do agree though under Lambert it was hard to see the game plan, although how much of that was down to the lack of instruction, effectiveness of the game plan and the players ability to execute it I'm not sure. Probably equal measures.

Hopefully, I would rather see us play players who fit our formation instead of us playing a formation to fit our players(if that makes any sense). But you are right though that last season under Sherwood we played the Christmas tree formation quite consistently. Hopefully he has an idea of how and what formation he wants us to play regularly from now on. 

I my self am a sucker for proper wingers, I really hope Adama is a good as he looks on youtube, as we are quite lacking in quality there  :)

(I must apologize for my poor English as it is not my first language, so it can be quite difficult for me to get my point across ;)

Edited by Chicken Field
  • Like 1

The team is just about right apart from Gabby, although he's presumably starting due to the fitness of other attacking player (Traore and Gil) not being up to scratch and Ayew looking out of sorts against United.

Hopefully Traore comes on in the second half.

Veretout being replaced with Sanchez is a great call, we're going to have to be more solid and defend in this one and Veretout hasn't looked up to the pace as yet.