Pre-Match Thread

ismail-villa

Meanwhile for them.

McCarthy, Ward, Delaney, Dann, Souare, McArthur, Cabaye, Zaha, Puncheon, Sako, Murray.

No Bolasie.

For all the praise that Palace receive for the squad they have built, (correctly so) I believe our match day squad is at least on a par (I actually think it's better)

1-2 Gabby & Gestede.

Meanwhile for them.

McCarthy, Ward, Delaney, Dann, Souare, McArthur, Cabaye, Zaha, Puncheon, Sako, Murray.

No Bolasie.

For all the praise that Palace receive for the squad they have built, (correctly so) I believe our match day squad is at least on a par (I actually think it's better)

1-2 Gabby & Gestede.

For me the biggest problem with Villa for the last many many years (and looks like it will be this year too) is that I can never figure out what formation we are playing and what our philosophy is (long ball or passing or wing play or central play), we always have a bunch of players playing out of position which makes our starting eleven very messy and unbalanced. We have no idea what tactic we are playing today,we might be playing a 433, 4231, 41212 or 4312 and I bet we will be no wiser when the match is finished, if you look at all the good teams in the world you can look at their starting eleven and know exactly how they are playing and who is playing where (ofc they are also fluid and players are allowed to roam out of position) .

Therefor I feel Palace's squad look a lot stronger, they play a simple 4231, quick wingers creative and flamboyant cam with a strong striker.  Simple but effective.

Edited by Chicken Field

More expansive roles for Gana and Westwood then, I suspect this is a diamond with width coming from Amavi and Bacuna. Makes sense to me as I thought the wingers and attacking fullbacks were getting in each other's way a little against Utd and Bournemouth.

Meanwhile for them.

No Bolasie.

1-2 Gabby & Gestede.

For me the biggest problem with Villa for the last many many years (and looks like it will be this year too) is that I can never figure out what formation we are playing and what our philosophy is (long ball or passing or wing play or central play), we always have a bunch of players playing out of position which makes our starting eleven very messy and unbalanced. We have no idea what tactic we are playing today,we might be playing a 433, 4231, 41212 or 4312 and I bet we will be no wiser when the match is finished, if you look at all the good teams in the world you can look at their starting eleven and know exactly how they are playing and who is playing where (ofc they are also fluid and players are allowed to roam out of position) .

Therefor I feel Palace's squad look a lot stronger, they play a simple 4231, quick wingers creative and flamboyant cam with a strong striker. Simple but effective.

odd post. so because you can't figure it out, the players don't know?

Very open team from palace, Pardew's dropping of Jedinak annoys Palace fans.

Our 3 man midfield can hopefully control things.

dropped Jedinak? is that a bit of an arrogant move, thinking they don't need him to control our midfield?

Meanwhile for them.

No Bolasie.

1-2 Gabby & Gestede.

Therefor I feel Palace's squad look a lot stronger, they play a simple 4231, quick wingers creative and flamboyant cam with a strong striker. Simple but effective.

odd post. so because you can't figure it out, the players don't know?

It very often looks like the players don't know, most often it looks like we don't really play a formation but we just have 11 players on the pitch. Usually when we use wingers we use strikers who drift all over the place (gabby, Ayew this season). It usually just looks messy. Every strong team has one preferred formation and we don't seem to have one.

• Like 1

Very open team from palace, Pardew's dropping of Jedinak annoys Palace fans.

Our 3 man midfield can hopefully control things.

dropped Jedinak? is that a bit of an arrogant move, thinking they don't need him to control our midfield?

Well he hasn't been starting this season, not just today.