The Ashes 2015

PongRiddims

Bollocks, that was a bit of a Titus Brambles. We can't go on being 40-3 on a regular basis, things have to change. If Haddin had held on to Root in the first Test a collapse like this might have happened there as well. The Aussies made the big decision with Watson and albeit were forced into the Haddin one, but it's shown that when a player has flattered to deceive for so long they have to go. Bell's time is over if KP's is, and Ballance doesn't have the game to bat at 3. Lyth just looks like a county player.

Edited by sharkyvilla

Alex Hales should be opening for England in all formats.

James Taylor in for Ballance.

Ian Bell needs a break, Moeen could be moved up to number 3 and Adil Rashid could slot into the lower order.

Its a kick up the backside. We are not as good as we were made out to be after the Cardiff test and we're not as bad as people are making us out to be now. Too much is made of the wicket. We were just outplayed in all departments by Australia. We have a good record at Edgbaston so lets hope for a bounce back.  Yes bring Taylor in. 

I think Buttler is so overrated. Yes he's a good one day player but he hasn't proved himself in the longer format. He's a poor keeper so is Bairstow but i think Bairstow is a better batsman at this stage so yes I would change that but the selectors love Buttler so that wont happen. 

We have to wait until the end of 2016 before the brilliant young Sam Hain is elegible for England. 

Edited by PaulC

Did hain get 66* today paul?

I'm a big fan of Lewis and Ambrose, not sure they're capable for test cricket though?

Ballance HAS to go, he's been appalling for 18 months now. He's over weight and shit.

Bell - not good, but I think that Cardiff innings has probably saved him being dropped, as well as the next test being in Bham.

Lyth - appalling, he's new yes, but you have to come into international cricket and be sensible, learn from your mistakes and do well, he's done none of that. That said, he does need a chance, so as with Bell, will be given another go you'd expect.

Butler isn't undroppable either and needs to get his arse into gear.

Only players that can hold their heads high are Cook & Root.

Sam ended 78 no out of a total of 319/8. Tim has had his day really! I rate Foster and Reed as two really top class keepers but too late for them now. I hate this obsession with England about turning batsmen into keepers. 

Its still 1-1 though!

Yep, and the next 2 tests are at grounds that England usually do well at. Hopefully we'll be able to bounce back as well as the Aussies just have. 

• Like 1

Every summer it seems England have a new opener, Compton, Carberry, Lyth. Im sure was a lad called Robson playing last year

Need find a player and stick with him for 5-8 tests as chopping and changing is not helping anybody and puts more pressure on the players as seems a bad few tests and your gone

I was going to say this, been a massive problem since Strauss retired really. Even back in 2009 Ravi Bopara was being tried out in a opener position and was just as dismal.

This was a battering no mistake, massive one up next at Edgbaston for both teams.

Edit: Is it out of the question for Root to open eventually?

Edited by VillaChris

Ballance HAS to go, he's been appalling for 18 months now. He's over weight and shit.

I'll preface this by saying that I'm not a huge fan of Ballance* (he obviously has a few deficiencies but then who doesn't?) but he has only been playing test cricket for 18 (and a half) months and in that time he averages just under 50 and has scored 1160 runs in 15 matches (four hundreds and six fifties).

That's appalling? :wacko:

*Edit: I did call him gash back in Feb but that was in reference to his world cup/one day performances (averages of 9 and just over 21 respectively).

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

I'll preface this by saying that I'm not a huge fan of Ballance (he obviously has a few deficiencies but then who doesn't?) but he has only been playing test cricket for 18 (and a half) months and in that time he averages just under 50 and has scored 1160 runs in 15 matches (four hundreds and six fifties).

Yes

I'll preface this by saying that I'm not a huge fan of Ballance (he obviously has a few deficiencies but then who doesn't?) but he has only been playing test cricket for 18 (and a half) months and in that time he averages just under 50 and has scored 1160 runs in 15 matches (four hundreds and six fifties).

Yes

Ha ha ha. :crylaugh:

I like Ballance. He's got that grit that you need in the top to middle order, but he's not a number three. Only 175 runs in his last ten Test innings too. I'm not a fan of shuffling the order but Root really needs to be moved up to three, then drop Ballance into four and Bell down to five. 

Has James Taylor opened much for Notts over the years?

Yes
Ha ha ha. :crylaugh:
He got 2 of his 4 100s against India last year when they couldn't give a shit and wanted to play us in the odi in readiness for the WC.

He plays well when there's no pressure, apart from that yeah, a very average batsmen.

On the pitch issue Im no expert on that but was it not designed to help England?

They were woefully out played with bat and ball on something designed for them

To be fair if we'd of produced the same wicket with did against New Zealand we'd have lost in 3 days not 4. Would it have made a difference if we'd have won the toss. I think it may have done! Its difficult to come out and bat when a side makes nealy 600 and you are in the field for two days. So guess in that sense the wicket did us no favours. 

but Australia still racked up 254-2 in 3rd innings

but is probably one of most one-sided Test matches Ive seen. All the Australians performed and England only Broad and maybe Ali will come out looking respectable

Â