The Ashes 2015

PongRiddims

Yes but I fancy the Aussies to make it 1-1. They do well at Lords.  The Aussies get 550, Starc and Johnson come racing in! Bell is a very poor slip fielder. Always was. 

Think that's a little unfair on Bell.

He's taken some good wickets from Slip.

Seem him drop too many though.

Just thinking the best slip fielders Warwicks have had. Ostler, Knight and Clarke I cant remember ever dropping anything. 

Edited by PaulC

Scoreboard pressure comes into play if, as it seems likely, the Aussies post a big score. 

Can't recall who it was, but I remember someone moaning in the press about Cardiff, and them not getting another Ashes, due to the wicket. Will the same argument be used to against Lords? 

George Dobell but thats because the it was so slow that edges wern't carrying. 90mph ball bouncing twice through the the keeper. difference is there was swing and uneven bounce, this is slow and flat

I havent seen any of it but I heard the wicket isnt very English summer wicket. Which brings me to the point of England bowlers who seem to thrive in home conditions but struggle in other alternative. Surely this needs to be looked at. Is it technical or is it mental?

Granted this happens to most teams but maybe as watch them more it seems to be a serious problem for England

Its the wicket. The groundsman was probably told by Strauss to produce a wicket like the one at Cardiff to nullify the Aussie quicks. In the New Zealand game they left a lot of grass on the wicket. Last year against India they played on a green wicket at Lords. The difference in color between the three wickets was remarkable. its blatant cheating in my view and ruining the game. 

• Like 1

It won't be a draw, this is where the poor mentality will show. They will declare on 620-650 for 3 or 4, and our fragile batsmen will get 220-260 and will bat again, only reaching 200-210 and we will lose.

Can't see England's top order being as solid as how the Aussies was yesterday tbh. It's a weakness that goes back to the last summer ashes when the pressure on the middle order and bowlers was immense, and was again evident at Cardiff.

Its the wicket. The groundsman was probably told by Strauss to produce a wicket like the one at Cardiff to nullify the Aussie quicks. In the New Zealand game they left a lot of grass on the wicket. Last year against India they played on a green wicket at Lords. The difference in color between the three wickets was remarkable. its blatant cheating in my view and ruining the game. 

I support this viewpoint. It's a sad tactic really, and nullifes the competition, to a point where it is practically impossible to win away from hom unless the gulf in class is vast. You don't want to have technicians in to homogenise and monitor all wickets so that they are the same, but equally this tactic is poor form indeed. 

• Like 1

Shouldn't we at least wait for both teams to bat, before we decide what the result is going to be? Australia have started as well as they could have wished for, but there are 4 days of cricket left to play.

Shouldn't we at least wait for both teams to bat, before we decide what the result is going to be? Australia have started as well as they could have wished for, but there are 4 days of cricket left to play.

You are right, but we never thrive in situations like this. There isn't the mental capacity to cope or recover.

Shouldn't we at least wait for both teams to bat, before we decide what the result is going to be? Australia have started as well as they could have wished for, but there are 4 days of cricket left to play.

You are right, but we never thrive in situations like this. There isn't the mental capacity to cope or recover.

The odds are against us, but I'm not writting us off, without seeing how we bat. You're probably right, but lets give them a chance at least.

Shouldn't we at least wait for both teams to bat, before we decide what the result is going to be? Australia have started as well as they could have wished for, but there are 4 days of cricket left to play.

I'll be interested to see how Lyon bowls on it. When Moeen got 19 wickets against India he bowled much quicker but he hasn't looked threatening on this wicket. 

Â