Ray Wilkins

midian

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

i was listening for a bit, he got pretty angry, dont think he was drunk though, durham was at his winding up best

I was actually just going to edit my post to say that he didn't sound drunk. 

he's definitely that, been spouting his opinion on talksport, SSN and anyone else that'll listen this week

he's an example of whats wrong in english football rather than someone who we should be looking for advice from

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

i was listening for a bit, he got pretty angry, dont think he was drunk though, durham was at his winding up best

wilkins was arguing that the likes of walcott should be leaving their club to play weekly football but that they were more interested in money, durham was saying it was wengers fault

it wasnt much of a debate it was 2 blokes shouting at each other, wilkins was swaying from being very sensible (when i stopped listening he was tearing in to all these chelsea kids who prefer £ over playing) to talking some utter utter bollocks about how anyone who hasnt played competition football doesnt understand the pressure and how english football doesnt need structure and systems it needs people enjoying themselves

I listened aswell.

Main point that struck me was him consistantly saying footballers should just thing for themselves on the pitch and work things out e.g the manager should be redundant in that situation.

Then I thought of all the god awful matches we played when he was assistant and probably did just that.

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Main point that struck me was him consistantly saying footballers should just thing for themselves on the pitch and work things out e.g the manager should be redundant in that situation.

And i don't think anyone would disagree that players need to start taking more responsibility, but he did seem to try and absolve managers from any responsibility at all. Strange views. 

Just now, av1 said:

And i don't think anyone would disagree that players need to start taking more responsibility, but he did seem to try and absolve managers from any responsibility at all. Strange views. 

I deducted from that he was happy to sit on the sidelines contributing nothing which is what he seemed to do whenever the camera panned on him. 

I think back to the infamous Leicester game...that bonkers Sherwood double substitution. Surely an experienced assistant like Wilkins could've seen that was a bad idea from a mile away and talked him out of it.

Also ties in with the belief Sherwood and him ripped into them after the game. We'd started off the season o.k and for 60 minutes the Leicester game was an excellent all round performance. Afterwards things blew up quickly.

There are many ways to manage a squad. Wilkins and Sherwood completely messed it up.

• Like 1

i kind of agree with him but for the wrong reason, managers and coaches shouldnt need to hold players hands during games and constantly coach them from the side lines, i think the example they gave was danny rose asking woy for instructions in the 87th minute and saying he shouldnt need them, i agree he shouldnt...but thats because of the quality of coaching that he's received in training all week should mean he doesnt have to, come game time everyone should know what they're doing, the fact that they dont is a result of poor training not poor players and ultimately if the players dont understand what you're trying to coach them in the week then you shouldnt pick them

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

He's always had a drink problem on the quiet, alleged he turned up at Chelsea drunk once and that's why they quickly terminated his contract when he was assistant to Ancelotti. 

He turned up pissed for a Champions League match he was meant to commentate on as well once, and Graeme Souness had to do it instead.  Tbh I half expect pissheads on talkshite.

• 3 weeks later...

Ten week suspended jail sentence...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-36885984

Former England footballer Ray Wilkins has been given a 10-week suspended jail sentence for drinking and driving.

Wilkins, who pleaded guilty, was seen in his Mercedes in the middle of a bus lane on the A4 in London on 1 July.

Uxbridge Magistrates' Court heard he also struck a kerb and was seen drinking alcohol from a bottle while driving, before attempting a U-turn.

Wilkins, 59, who told the court he was an alcoholic, was nearly three times over the legal limit

We'll almost certainly never know, but it would be interesting to know whether he was turning up drunk to work at Villa at all. I find it hard to believe he's become a full-blown alcoholic only in the last nine months. 

Â