Women's world cup 2015

StefanAVFC

The first half of England-Colombia is all I've seen so far, and I found it quite enjoyable. I've certainly seen worse mens' games <cough> Aston Villa <cough>.

• Like 2

The first half of England-Colombia is all I've seen so far, and I found it quite enjoyable. I've certainly seen worse mens' games <cough> Aston Villa <cough>.

The fact that Villa can attract some surprisingly big crowds these days, suggests that quality of play has very little to do with enjoyment, and emotional involvement is probably more important.

It certainly has been the case with England's women, and knowing the individual players' back-stories definitely makes you feel more involved and brings more pleasure.

The problem with this tournament is that so many of my old favourites (Faye White, Kelly Smith et al) have retired, it kind of spoilt the fun.

I just can't believe that it is ten years since Karen Carney scored her brilliantly joyous, winning, goal against Finland when she was but a wee snip of a gal.

It certainly has been the case with England's women, and knowing the individual players' back-stories definitely makes you feel more involved and brings more pleasure.

Really? That does my head in, makes it seem like bloody X factor or some other of that ilk.

The fact that Villa can attract some surprisingly big crowds these days, suggests that quality of play has very little to do with enjoyment, and emotional involvement is probably more important.

Or a lot of people enjoy torturing themselves ;)

Really? That does my head in, makes it seem like bloody X factor or some other of that ilk.

I know exactly what you mean but that is not what I meant.

'Playing history' would have been a more accurate expression.

• Like 1

A good article on the women's game over on Spiked.

The link = http://tinyurl.com/q4cooaq

The quote:

Part of the problem, I suspect, is that public interest in England is largely dependent on the fortunes of the national team. Women’s football is still waiting for its Gazza moment. It doesn’t need to be victory – heroic defeat in the semi-finals will do. However, England’s limp performance in their opening match against France was a total passion-killer. If the team can progress to the quarter-finals or beyond we might see an upsurge in public enthusiasm. The British public craves those fleeting moments of frenzied communion that major sporting events can provide. The euphoria that swept the nation during the 2012 Olympics illustrated that we Brits can be transformed into face-painted, flag-waving ultras as soon as we catch a whiff of sporting success. Hell, we can go batshit crazy over minority sports, the rules of which we barely comprehend, as long as there’s a Brit in with a shout of glory.

So in football for instance, statistical analysis shows that most players who become professionals were born in the early part of the year, which meant that they were the oldest in their year at school. This gave them an advantage over their class-mates and because they stood out as better they were picked out and given more coaching and they became even better.

Not true at all . School years start from September to August. Edited by Brumerican

So in football for instance, statistical analysis shows that most players who become professionals were born in the early part of the year, which meant that they were the oldest in their year at school. This gave them an advantage over their class-mates and because they stood out as better they were picked out and given more coaching and they became even better.

Not true at all . School years start from September to August.

What's that got to do with a kid born in January being 10 months older than a kid born in November?

What's that got to do with a kid born in January being 10 months older than a kid born in November?
They would be in different school years .

Not necessarily. For example, I was born in May 1983, yet I was in the same class as kids born in June-December 1982, and Jan-April 1983

They were all older than me, but same age group for any school sports

Edited by P3te

Not necessarily. For example, I was born in May 1983, yet I was in the same class as kids born in June-December 1982, and Jan-April 1983

They were all older than me, but same age group for any school sports

Exactly. The people born in the last 4 months of the year have the advantage .

MMV said people born in the earlier part of the year have an advantage which just isn't true . you even proved it with yourself as an example ! !

And you shouldn't have been in a school year with people born in Jun,July and August of 1982 either . They should be a school year above you .

Edited by Brumerican
  • Like 1

The Norwegian women's team released this video in response to common criticism (cf. pages 1-7 of this thread) of the women's game. Not bad. Fair play to Norway.

• Like 4

Check out Wiki - Relative age effect

The link = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relative_age_effect

The quote:

The term relative age effect (RAE) is used to describe a bias, evident in the upper echelons of youth sport[1] and academia,[2][3] where participation is higher amongst those born early in the relevant selection period (and correspondingly lower amongst those born late in the selection period) than would be expected from the normalised distribution of live births. The selection period is usually the calendar year, the academic year or the sporting season.

The Norwegian women's team released this video in response to common criticism (cf. pages 1-7 of this thread) of the women's game. Not bad. Fair play to Norway.

Superb. 

Â