Women's world cup 2015

StefanAVFC

What do you mean? :)

Why is the gap in quality between men's and women's tennis (for example) so much smaller than men's and women's football? The jackbauer post you quoted on the last page summed it up well for me. Physically the top female athletes can't compete with the top male athletes but that doesn't explain how the gap can be larger with certain sports, like football.

Football is a much more technical sport compared to say tennis and male athletes have probably a headstart in their development of players. I dont think football is a sport girls are really encouraged to play when they are at a young age

Women football is coming on leaps and bounds every tournament and would be respected more if people didnt keep comparing to the mens game on both positive and negative opinions

• Like 1

Why is the gap in quality between men's and women's tennis (for example) so much smaller than men's and women's football? The jackbauer post you quoted on the last page summed it up well for me. Physically the top female athletes can't compete with the top male athletes but that doesn't explain how the gap can be larger with certain sports, like football.

It is because men's football is a global professional game played by boys in every corner of the world, attracting some of the best athletes on the planet with promises of fame and riches whilst women's football is a non professional pastime for girls at university in wealthy western countries.

Sports like tennis, whilst being much less popular than football, offer a similar level of professionalism for men and women so the top players can dedicate their lives to the sport. Conversely, a sport like field hockey is an amateur sport for both men and women and again the standards or not so far apart between the genders.

The only way women's football could catch up is if it could offer big money to huge numbers of promising girls to get them to dedicate their lives to the sport in the same way it does for men. 

When it comes to success in sport it is usually explained, as the multiplying effect of small advantages.

So in football for instance, statistical analysis shows that most players who become professionals were born in the early part of the year, which meant that they were the oldest in their year at school. This gave them an advantage over their class-mates and because they stood out as better they were picked out and given more coaching and they became even better.

Early coaching, parental support and going to a good school seems to explain why most of GB's Olympics squad went to fee-paying schools, and why certain sports like tennis are still predominantly middle-class; coaching is expensive. 

It seems certain that if the likes of Drogba and Benteke had not emigrated to France and Belgium respectively, they would not have become the players they turned out to be. 

In my view, if England is to produce better female football players money needs to be put in at the grass-roots level, but sadly the FA have chosen the opposite option, of feather-bedding a few professionals, whose talents don't always warrant that status.

The reason the USA have produced so many of the best female players is that they have a system for creating them, and as you might expect, we don't. 

So some England player being labelled mini messi, haven't seen her play but I'm guessing it's a huge overreaction if the comparison between Montoya's and Rodriguez's goal is anything to take note of.

Obviously it was a bit tongue in cheek.

Anyways, I was quite impressed with her. Not often you watch Women's football and go ' Wow, she is rapid'

So some England player being labelled mini messi, haven't seen her play but I'm guessing it's a huge overreaction if the comparison between Montoya's and Rodriguez's goal is anything to take note of.

Obviously it was a bit tongue in cheek.

Anyways, I was quite impressed with her. Not often you watch Women's football and go ' Wow, she is rapid'

Good player, especially after what she's been through. 

Football is a much more technical sport compared to say tennis

Bollocks. Your inability to identify technique in one doesn't make it mess technical than another, completely different sport.

Here's and Apple, here's an Orange. Let's compare them shall we?

I would personally think it's the other way round, especially at lower levels. In tennis, you're on your own, making a shot or performing an action every few seconds. Footballers sometimes go several whole minutes without touching the ball, and pure athleticism can get you a fairly long way. 

• Like 1

What is Jonathan Pearce going on about, John and Yoko?? Bored much Jonathan!

That followed his 5 minute monologue about lakes earlier on. His mental breakdown is complete.

• Like 2

Good finish by carney.. Anyone hear the interview before when she said she wanted to give up football when at the blues... Well no shit it's **** Birmingham city

Not sure why she hasn't been starting games. In the little I've watched she's one of England's best players.

I think the gap between mens and womens tennis is huge, but I guess women have played pro level football for a much shorter time than in tennis so its yet to catchup 

Edited by PaulC

England were excellent for 30 minutes and looked pretty comfortable after a very dubious penalty gifted them a two-nil lead.

What happened for the rest of the game, the sports psychologists will have to decide, but once they had lost their touch and composure they never got it back.

The very avoidable-looking late goal from Colombia seemed inevitable, once England had lost their way.

But after their diabolical display in the European Championships two years ago, coming second in their group and progressing to the last 16, has to be seen as a big improvement.

They definitely can't fjord to play like that against Norway.

Â