Women's world cup 2015

StefanAVFC

beating up her sister and nephew

The victims failed to co-operate with the prosecution even though they reported the incident.

The controversy was that despite being charged with domestic violence and child abuse, she was neither suspended by her club or considered unfit to play for her country, she was actually made captain and continued to play.

The fact that feminist groups demand that American football players are sacked if charged with domestic violence but totally ignored the Solo case, produced an accusation of a hypocritical double-standard.

Solo is married to 6ft 7in (260lb) American footballer Jerramy Stevens who broke a guy's jaw with a baseball bat back in college and was accused of date-rape back in 2000, when he was witnessed having violent sex with a 19-year-old student who appeared to have been drugged, the girl was tested too late to find out whether she had been drugged or not.

Stevens has been arrested for various assaults, including an assault on Hope Solo before they were married.

Some like it hot, as they say.

• Like 1

This reminds me of Zaire losing by a similar scoreline in the World cup in the 70s......was just waiting for Ivory Coast player to boot the ball away when that free kick was given.

I must say I enjoyed watching some games during the Olympics so they're not all of a terrible standard. For example England Brazil which was played at the new Wembley was an excellent match so I think we'll see some decent games in the knock out stage.

One thing that's always consistant though in all the teams is just how poor the goalkeeping remains.

What's the deal with that anyway? Obviously the standard is lower across the board but the gap is biggest when it comes to goalkeeping.

I've never understood how they could be so bad. Like, they're worse than your average under 14's keepers, and there's no real reason for it I can see. Goalkeeping ruins the women's game for me. Make the bloody goals smaller or something for them, they're just not able for it otherwise

Making the goals smaller would make a lot of sense.

The most famous female goalkeeper is Hope Solo who is 5ft 9in, standing in a goal designed to offer a challenge for goalkeepers like Joe Hart at 6ft 5in.

Shay Given always looks a bit small because he's only 6ft.

Hope Solo.. we all enjoyed her photos during the fappening!

Reminded me of the sarlacc pit in Return of the Jedi

'Enjoyed' is definitely the wrong word, I nearly lost my lunch. 

I watched the German game.

It was akin to one of those playground games you would have when you had 50 kids all chasing after the ball at once.

Dreadful.

The women's game definitely has its problems and the glaring gulf between the best international teams and the worst often produces too many of those sorts of games.

The problem with the men's game is the exact opposite, in that too many games in the World Cup are so dominated by smothering tactics, that all too often the world's best players (Messi et al) are denied the opportunity to show us the sort of brilliance we are hoping to see.

The problems arise for the women's game because of the insistence on pretending it reaches the same level as the men's game, which it obviously does not.

Then there is the annoying habit of fans of the men's game either refusing to criticise the women's game at all, or criticising it disproportionately.

It also has the same problem of England never being quite as good in the finals as they promised they might be in the qualifiers.

Edited by MakemineVanilla
  • Like 2

It also has the same problem of England never being quite as good in the finals as they promised they might be in the qualifiers.

It's almost as if the quality of opposition increases dramatically.

• Like 2

This reminds me of Zaire losing by a similar scoreline in the World cup in the 70s......was just waiting for Ivory Coast player to boot the ball away when that free kick was given.

I must say I enjoyed watching some games during the Olympics so they're not all of a terrible standard. For example England Brazil which was played at the new Wembley was an excellent match so I think we'll see some decent games in the knock out stage.

One thing that's always consistant though in all the teams is just how poor the goalkeeping remains.

What's the deal with that anyway? Obviously the standard is lower across the board but the gap is biggest when it comes to goalkeeping.

I've never understood how they could be so bad. Like, they're worse than your average under 14's keepers, and there's no real reason for it I can see. Goalkeeping ruins the women's game for me. Make the bloody goals smaller or something for them, they're just not able for it otherwise

Making the goals smaller would make a lot of sense.

The most famous female goalkeeper is Hope Solo who is 5ft 9in, standing in a goal designed to offer a challenge for goalkeepers like Joe Hart at 6ft 5in.

Shay Given always looks a bit small because he's only 6ft.

Hope Solo.. we all enjoyed her photos during the fappening!

Reminded me of the sarlacc pit in Return of the Jedi

'Enjoyed' is definitely the wrong word, I nearly lost my lunch. 

I don't get the reference...but something tells me I should probably just let it be.

I watched the German game.

It was akin to one of those playground games you would have when you had 50 kids all chasing after the ball at once.

Dreadful.

The women's game definitely has its problems and the glaring gulf between the best international teams and the worst often produces too many of those sorts of games.

The problem with the men's game is the exact opposite, in that too many games in the World Cup are so dominated by smothering tactics, that all too often the world's best players (Messi et al) are denied the opportunity to show us the sort of brilliance we are hoping to see.

The problems arise for the women's game because of the insistence on pretending it reaches the same level as the men's game, which it obviously does not.

Then there is the annoying habit of fans of the men's game either refusing to criticise the women's game at all, or criticising it disproportionately.

I know we've had our arguments in the past MMV, but credit where it's due, I totally agree with all of that, and I think it's a very fair summary. 

Dodgy goalkeeping.

Yep, shot at was right height to be saved

I don't get this. It would have been an absolutely stunning save to keep that shot out. There has been some dodgy goalkeeping at this World Cup—Hope Solo has been the only keeper thus far to inspire any confidence—but I wouldn't single that goal out as evidence of it.

I completely disagree Jamie, for me a keeper has to saving that. The ball wasn't moving that fast, it was at a good height and the keeper got a hand to it. The commentator (ok she is poor) even agreed.

On another thought how did this guy get the England job, from wiki it seems that he isn't that experienced and didn't have a great win % for Bristol

A job very well done by England and the game plan to lose by as little as possible to the French, should serve them well and get them second in the group and make sure they progress.

All a bit dull and they certainly kept up the English tradition of giving the ball away too much and technically they definitely look quite a way behind the better teams. 

I think we will have to see how France take the other teams apart before we realise how well England actually did.

England can't win it but they certainly can avoid the embarrassment they suffered in the Euros.

You can't really judge womens football by the standard of the mens I don't think. What should have been a comfortable save for a man wasn't for a woman. Having said that I wasn't at all impressed by England or the quaiity of the refereeing. France should have had a player sent off for a deliberate elbow. 

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

It would have been an absolutely stunning save to keep that shot out

Not a chance. That's a bread and butter save. Good height, comfortable distance from the keeper, very little movement in the air. It's appalling keeping. She fell over slightly to her side instead of diving, and if she thought she wasn't going to get it, she should be going with one hand to turn it around, not two which restricts your reach and ability to turn it

Â