Women's world cup 2015

StefanAVFC

I think that's why womens football is looked down on by many. They are comparing it to the mens game instead of just watching it for it's own sake.

I think it's looked down on because the quality is disproportionately bad. There are probably lots of genuine reasons for that, not limited to opportunity, investment and interest.

I'd get thrashed by a female tennis player, out paced by a female sprinter, out driven by Susie Wolff and competitively embarrassed in almost any sport I can think of by a top female player. But you get the feeling even the top female team could be beaten by a poor Sunday League team. It's not comparing men vs women but amateur vs professional and I'm not sure why women's football is SO poor. I can't workout how low you need to go in the men's game before the female team would have a chance.

As has been mentioned several times, the goalkeeping is particularly awful. If one argues the shots have less power etc than the men's game then the ability between outfield players and goalkeepers shouldn't be any different. I.e. poor players have poorer shots so should be saved by poorer goalkeepers.

I still watch it, and somewhat enjoy it, but the gap is so big it really is hard not to shake your head at the amateur nature of it. The reasons behind that are probably very complex. But it's not the same feeling you get when you watch women's tennis or athletics etc.

I think that's why womens football is looked down on by many. They are comparing it to the mens game instead of just watching it for it's own sake.

Totally agree but you can't really blame people for that because both the media and people involved in women's football make claims which are frankly ridiculous.

So today we have Ex-England manager Hope Powell claiming that women's football deserves its own Match of the Day, for football which is at a much lower standard than what people are complaining about in the World Cup.

Also today on the BBC website, they make a ridiculous comparison between a straightforward shot from the edge of the box (Montoya - Colombia) and the chest, swivel and wonder volley (Rodriguez - Colombia), which was voted the best goal in the men's World Cup.

When everything is over-hyped like this and people witness the reality, they can't be expected to watch the game for its own sake, or refrain from concluding that they are being bullshitted.

I have been a big fan of the women's game for a long time but this sort of BS is ruining the sport. 

• Like 2

So today we have Ex-England manager Hope Powell claiming that women's football deserves its own Match of the Day, for football which is at a much lower standard than what people are complaining about in the World Cup.

Soon to be followed by a Rooney-like rule for clubs to give interviews to female managers, surely. 

Soon to be followed by a Rooney-like rule for clubs to give interviews to female managers, surely. 

That is the direction it seems to be heading but I think the main objective at the moment is to get more money into the game.

Whether there is much of a market for the women's game is another question entirely.

Also today on the BBC website, they make a ridiculous comparison between a straightforward shot from the edge of the box (Montoya - Colombia) and the chest, swivel and wonder volley (Rodriguez - Colombia), which was voted the best goal in the men's World Cup.

Glad I'm not the only one to notice this - absolutely ridiculous comparison. While the goal was good by any standard, Rodriguez's was a class above.

But what do you expect from the BBC? They have a pretty obvious agenda.

Edited by Mantis

I really hate to join the chorus on this, but the goalkeeping at this Women's World Cup has been positively abysmal.

Hope Solo has proved that a much higher standard is possible, but thus far, I've not seen another keeper who even approaches her level. Hopefully, it's an issue of infrastructure and development, and that the standard will improve significantly as the sport grows worldwide.

Edited by JamieZ

Glad I'm not the only one to notice this - absolutely ridiculous comparison. While the goal was good by any standard, Rodriguez's was a class above.

But what do you expect from the BBC? They have a pretty obvious agenda.

The BBC have just followed the standard Guardian line of women as permanent victims and ignored so many things which are positive about women's football.

They have an article about doing a survey, no doubt full of loaded questions, about the players' experience of sexism.

They have one about asking girls why they gave up playing football, and decided that it was not like the rest of us, that priorities change, it was peer-group pressure and society is to blame.

Then you have Eniola Aluko (England striker) doing a column, which is about dealing with criticism on social media and needing emotional support. This is terrible, because there is so much to say that is positive about Aluko, in that she provides a fine example of how much a player's game can improve when they turn pro, which she did not long ago. She is also a very highly qualified lawyer but has chosen to play football instead, because as we know, it is the best job in the world, but they still present her, as a down-trodden victim.

If you speak to the girls/women who play for the Villa, most of them are very well qualified but choose to play football because they have a passion for the game and know that it is better than having to work for a living.

So yes, the BBC have an agenda, and it is the wrong agenda.

I think it's looked down on because the quality is disproportionately bad. There are probably lots of genuine reasons for that, not limited to opportunity, investment and interest.

I'd get thrashed by a female tennis player, out paced by a female sprinter, out driven by Susie Wolff and competitively embarrassed in almost any sport I can think of by a top female player. But you get the feeling even the top female team could be beaten by a poor Sunday League team. It's not comparing men vs women but amateur vs professional and I'm not sure why women's football is SO poor. I can't workout how low you need to go in the men's game before the female team would have a chance.

As has been mentioned several times, the goalkeeping is particularly awful. If one argues the shots have less power etc than the men's game then the ability between outfield players and goalkeepers shouldn't be any different. I.e. poor players have poorer shots so should be saved by poorer goalkeepers.

I still watch it, and somewhat enjoy it, but the gap is so big it really is hard not to shake your head at the amateur nature of it. The reasons behind that are probably very complex. But it's not the same feeling you get when you watch women's tennis or athletics etc.

It's the same reason why featherweight boxers are not as popular as your Meyweathers and Klitchos.

It doesnt matter if they try and produce the best performance they possibly can. They are limited in their game and people just prefer to watch the best possible athletes, in this case, men.

It's always about the hardest punch, the fastest around the track or the most skilful with a football. 

Edited by Mic09

Â