Off Season Optimism Thread

jackbauer24

The FA Cup final really knocked me about, even though I didn't really expect to win. It was an absolute boot in the guts to a supporter base who'd already had a lot of boots in the guts and simply didn't deserve that. Not just the loss, but the sheer annihilation of our side made me rue what money has done to football more than I ever have. But it's really been compounded this week by Cleverly going elsewhere and Benteke and Vlaar to follow him shortly.

Cleverly spent a season here and was revitalised under Sherwood, winning back a place in the England setup. But, if he thought we'd be able to keep up with mid table Everton, he'd likely have stayed. That is really telling for me. He weighed us up and chose someone else.

I vowed to myself never to get worked up over takeover talk again after last year's thread dropped off the first page of Villa Talk, but there were so many murmurings of a takeover being basically ready to go if we stayed up, and there has been a deathly silence since the end of the season.

I have absolutely zero faith in Lerner to invest to protect us from the drop, and we're losing our best player and only consistent goalscorer.

Being a Villa fan at the moment is like having a terminal illness. You get rays of hope which are routinely brutally dashed, and you're in constant pain as the feeling of inevitability gets stronger and stronger.

So yeah not great.

• Like 2

Optimistic. I can't wait to see what next season will bring. We'll smash some teams, and no doubt get smashed, but it'll make for an exciting time.

We might even get relegated, but I genuinely couldn't give a toss. We exist in the Premier League to make up the numbers, and to make it more viable to sell as a product, and to help just a handful of very rich teams get even richer. We're an exhibition club and merely a filler. If it did come to pass that we ended up in the Championship, I'd shrug my shoulders and enjoy it. We'd be the massive club for a change and we'd have some hope of achieving something; for a change.

• Like 2

I think we will be in the shit.

Were going to lose our better players, and im not betting on us getting decent replacements in. Dont really know what could change this around. Getting well tierd of this

I don't know what to think to be honest. pre-Southampton I would've said we could challenge for top half. Last 3 games has been as bad as Lambert. I think it will probably end up somewhere in between, around 12th-14th.

I'm quite optimistic tbh. I also don't buy into the spending x to stand still mentality. You can spend a fortune and get worse, or spend nothing and get better

For me its not how much you spend....it's who you buy

Edited by TRO

I'm quite optimistic tbh. I also don't buy into the spending x to stand still mentality. You can spend a fortune and get worse, or spend nothing and get better

Foe me its not how much you spend....it's who you buy

......and for me it always has been

35 mill for Carroll or 50 mill for Torres...guarantees nothing on the pitch and heartache in the boardroom

Don't give a shit. If we go down, we go down. If we don't, I'm not exactly going to paint the town red when we finish between 16th and 17th. Until we have new ownership there's nothing to be optimistic about.

For me its not how much you spend....it's who you buy

Exactly

Don't give a shit. If we go down, we go down. If we don't, I'm not exactly going to paint the town red when we finish between 16th and 17th. Until we have new ownership there's nothing to be optimistic about.

...and on what basis are we to assume we will be better?

i am an eternal optimist.i think the loss of clarke was huge as he and okore were looking good.i think with the introduction of robinson,the blossoming of grealish and hopefully bacuna playing in midfield we will do alright.i think sherwoods attacking style of play means we will win games.with the teams coming up and leicester,sunderland,newcastle i don't think we'll be as close to going down as this season.as i say i'm an optimist.mind you i thought in the 86-87 season we'd be challenging for europe.

Â