Off Season Optimism Thread

jackbauer24

Reasons to be optimistic:

Jack! This guy is going to be special next season, I sense.

Continued development of Clark and Okore. I think both could turn out to be pretty damn tidy centre halves and forge a good partnership. Okore needs to cut out his mistakes, but he's very young for a CB and lost a lot of time to injury.

Delph. Seems to keep getting better and I don't think we've seen his peak yet.

Bacuna. Really like this guy, but not sure we've found the best way to play him yet. I also have the feeling he's going to have a big role to play next term.

Clutching at straws a little:

Gardner. Not sure if I quite believe this guy is going to turn into the player we all hope he will, and also not sure of his best role in the team, but the reports from Forest do suggest he might finally be fulfilling the early potential we heard so much about. Please, please, please...

Sinclair: there is something about this guy that suggests he might be really useful, but I'm not sure how much he fits into TS' plans.

£32M+: this could give us a sizeable kitty and although we'll be losing our match-winner and star player it could help us address glaring weaknesses we've had in our squad for too long now.

Sanchez: with a full pre-season and a better defined role in the team, could he reproduce his Columbia form for us?

Reasons for dread:

Full-backs: what seems a perennial problem for us in recent times. Have no real faith in any our options. I like Bacuna a lot, but still wonder if RB is his best spot.

Loss of Benteke: we may need the money to fill out the squad with more quality, but we're losing a proven match-winner and who knows what we'll replace him with (I am resigned to losing him this summer, sadly)

Gabby: If we continue to rely on him as a first-teamer we'll have problems over next season barring the five or six games he somehow looks like the unplayable pace machine a lot of us thought he might turn into years back.

Strikers in general: minus Benteke, who the hell do we have/will we get?!

CNZ: Has had a few really good games under TS to be fair, but needs to be improved on this window.

Sanchez: okay, he might come good, but he also fills me with dread when I see his name on the team-sheet

Overall, that seems to be a net balance for pessimism. Which is about how I feel: pessimistic, but with dull embers of hope flickering somewhere, somehow...

I renewed my Season Ticket before the end of the season and felt quite optimistic about next season - I genuinely thought that everyone looked happy to be playing for Villa, Sherwood looked like he had fallen on his feet and was waving some kind of magic wand.

Southampton, Cup Final, Cleverley, Benteke etc. All of a sudden if feels as if it's coming crashing down again and I'm am shitting myself already about next season. And to be fair, it'snot even for me to worry about. I can't do anything at all about it, but bite my nails and punch a wall.

It's going to be a long summer - glad that I have other things to do instead of watching JIM WHITE SHOUTING on Sky Sports News HQ and his Twitterboard, or Kirsty Gallaghers overactive jaw.

Time for a bit of Vulcan and Ramex Delta and a Polish Mig-29...

Best case scenario for next season:

We get sold in the next week or so,

massive amount of investment into the squad,

Benteke and vlaar sign new deals ending speculation

players gel together through preseason,

Start off season strongly, top half by November

I don't mind if we trail off slightly by may finishing 12-14th

Decent cup runs and a bit of belief instilled for 2016-17

Worst case:

The "imminent" takeover never happens

TS sell off majority of his losers, determined to sign replacements early

Lack off interest from his first and second choice targets,

Squad rebuild falls on its face

Vlaar leaves on free

Benteke poached for 32.5m, 11:59pm on deadline day by Liverpool

The few players we sign don't gel together, can't handle the pace of the league

Terrible start to the season, large defeats, struggling to score goals

TS resigns/ sacked by Christmas. New inexperienced manager brought in January, another nightmare transfer window

Relegation to championship

Majority of the remaining better players poached from us by PL clubs

Struggle to rebuild under RL in championship - become the new Wigan/Portsmouth

I feel fairly optimistic. 

If Lerner is still here, I think he'll spend a decent amount.  My belief is that the primary reason behind cutting back before was the ludicrous financial situation we were in - I think this has now been sorted and we should be in a position to spend £20m (maybe £30m) off the bat.  If we sell Benteke, maybe we even get a £40-50m transfer kitty - just imagine!

Sherwood has made us a more exciting team... but I'm not convinced yet that we're necessarily more effective.  In any case, it should make more better viewing than the past couple of seasons and that, in itself, will be enjoyable.

I think we'll finish somewhere between 11th and 14th and I'll happily take that.

• Like 1

Best case scenario for next season:

We get sold in the next week or so,

massive amount of investment into the squad,

Benteke and vlaar sign new deals ending speculation

players gel together through preseason,

Start off season strongly, top half by November

I don't mind if we trail off slightly by may finishing 12-14th

Decent cup runs and a bit of belief instilled for 2016-17

Worst case:

The "imminent" takeover never happens

TS sell off majority of his losers, determined to sign replacements early

Lack off interest from his first and second choice targets,

Squad rebuild falls on its face

Vlaar leaves on free

Benteke poached for 32.5m, 11:59pm on deadline day by Liverpool

The few players we sign don't gel together, can't handle the pace of the league

Terrible start to the season, large defeats, struggling to score goals

TS resigns/ sacked by Christmas. New inexperienced manager brought in January, another nightmare transfer window

Relegation to championship

Majority of the remaining better players poached from us by PL clubs

Struggle to rebuild under RL in championship - become the new Wigan/Portsmouth

We're Ducked

• Like 1

Is this the Optimism thread or what?   Cheer Up everyone .  Tim will sort it !  How are we ever going to know what he can do if we don't even give him a chance.   

• Like 1

Off season optimism thread.  Put it this way.  If I could get good odds on it, from a 'savvy bet' point of view I'd back us to go down next season.

Off season optimism thread.  Put it this way.  If I could get good odds on it, from a 'savvy bet' point of view I'd back us to go down next season.

We're like 4/1 BOF, what more do you want, we are probably 2/1 shots in my eyes.

Don't give a shit. If we go down, we go down. If we don't, I'm not exactly going to paint the town red when we finish between 16th and 17th. Until we have new ownership there's nothing to be optimistic about.

...and on what basis are we to assume we will be better?

We can't. But it's got to be better than KNOWING we're not going to compete.

Seriously every season I've been kidding myself into thinking "we'll do better this season! Young group of players, bonding, manager has more time, etc." and I'm done with it. Not anymore. I'm not optimistic. We either have investment or this is another waste of a year in our history. With this current set up, we are such a pointless football club.

I'm a lot more optimistic than last summer, but Sherwood has to have sufficient funds made available so he can bring in the players he wants. We can't have a situation like under Lambert where he had to go to a b or even c list of players to sign, particularly in his second summer. 

Â