The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

It’s another straw, it chimes in with dodgy PPE deals, contracts for chums, a magic money tree but only for selected mates and causes, millions of quids to offshores, 1% for nurses. Grenfell. Johnson giving our money to his side shag. Johnson lies. Northern Ireland stitched up and burning. Delayed lockdowns causing deaths. Foodbanks. School dinners through next summer. Money back for Uni students. That stupid race report that said everything’s fine.

It just needs Labour to keep on repeating the list and adding to the list and repeating the list.

Journalists will not do it for them, if we’re waiting for the opportune moment for the BBC to pick it up, that’s never going to happen.

Repeat the list. Don’t explain the nuances of parliamentary lobbying etiquette, cut that down to back room sleazy deals.

Add to the list, repeat the list. 

To be honest, that’s actually Labour’s job right now. I don’t understand why they wouldn’t.

It’ll be yesterday’s news at the next election when Sunak is handing out free tea and biscuits to the homeless and unemployed and it’s covered by every media outlet.

If Labour can’t do well against this shitshow there really is no hope for them ever.

• Like 4

This isn't in response to any other point and I'm not suggesting it is a tactic the Labour Party are employing either. It's just a random thought that entered my noggin.

The better Labour are doing in the polls, the further away the next opportunity to get rid of the Tories will be

7 hours ago, bickster said:

This isn't in response to any other point and I'm not suggesting it is a tactic the Labour Party are employing either. It's just a random thought that entered my noggin.

The better Labour are doing in the polls, the further away the next opportunity to get rid of the Tories will be

Aye, although conversely there could also be such confidence inside the Tory party that it might bring the end of Johnson's time earlier - without an opposition to worry about, one can only hope they'll start to devour their own.

On 14/04/2021 at 10:04, Demitri_C said:

red ed. 

Several years later, people still lap up this tabloid BS. Embarrassing.

I bet you're glad we avoided "chaos with Ed Miliband".

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Who would vote for a man that was pictured eating a bacon sandwich. Red Ed is just The Sun being the words removed they were, are and always will be. 

6 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I have to say, when he was the LOTO, I never found Miliband particularly inspiring. I wish he'd been more resistant to his advisors and just been himself, rather than awkwardly portraying the leader they wanted him to be, because I have a huge amount of respect for backbench Ed, and I think he could be a bloody good leader. The Ed stone though, **** me.

I seem to remember seeing Mailiband saying that he wished he'd been a bit more left wing and radical in 2015, instead of the tepid, uninspiring leader he ended up portraying.

I do wonder what the country would look like now if we'd never reelected a cocky, Bullingdon club Tory, willing to risk the unity of the nation to resolve what was until then, a problem contained on the tory backbenches, 

"Red Ed" is as stupid in 2021 as it was in 2015, though.

Can you imagine the horror? Being at the start of a second term, still in the EU, and being mildly embarrased on the world stage by the occasional photo of him looking a bit weird whilst eating...

lionel hutz simpsons GIF

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Its not embarrassing at all. Stop crying geeZ

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Its not embarrassing at all. Stop crying geeZ

I'm not "crying", I'm lamenting people unthinkingly regurgitating tabloid soundbites 6 years later. What do you think makes him "red"?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, darrenm said:

Look we all know Labour can't manage the economy because they left a note saying there was no money left.

That was a bit of an og there as Cameron used that at any opportunity to remind people. Sometimes it does make you think how these people make it as mps

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

That was a bit of an og there

Yeah. Was it ever!. Like when McDonnell got out Chairman Mao's little red book in Parliament.

Liam Byrne, wasn't it? Comes across as a grade A weapon.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, blandy said:

Yeah. Was it ever!. Like when McDonnell got out Chairman Mao's little red book in Parliament.

Liam Byrne, wasn't it? Comes across as a grade A weapon.

Currently in the midst of tanking a bid for the West Midlands mayoralty.

I sometimes think with a new leader coming in and having 4-5 years in opposition can be a bad thing as you can make an initial bang/big impression and then end up treading water for 4 years and lose that new leader gloss. 

By the looks of it though Starmer is going to need all the time he can get to turn things around. I'd hope though that once the jubilation of the vaccination has passed and hopefully life returns back to normal in the next year or so and we get back to day to day challenges that governments face then Labour can start to eat into the Tory lead by offering alternatives that the public will buy into.

I am really unconvinced by Starmer though. He made a decent start but he has struggled since all be it with the odd good moments like PMQ's on Wednesday when he got his teeth into the lobbying/Greensill scandal. He won't be going anywhere until he has fought an election though so for almost all our sakes I hope he/Labour turn things around. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I sometimes think with a new leader coming in and having 4-5 years in opposition can be a bad thing as you can make an initial bang/big impression and then end up treading water for 4 years and lose that new leader gloss. 

By the looks of it though Starmer is going to need all the time he can get to turn things around. I'd hope though that once the jubilation of the vaccination has passed and hopefully life returns back to normal in the next year or so and we get back to day to day challenges that governments face then Labour can start to eat into the Tory lead by offering alternatives that the public will buy into.

I am really unconvinced by Starmer though. He made a decent start but he has struggled since all be it with the odd good moments like PMQ's on Wednesday when he got his teeth into the lobbying/Greensill scandal. He won't be going anywhere until he has fought an election though so for almost all our sakes I hope he/Labour turn things around. 

I'm not into politics as much as I should be, but is it a cert he will see at least one GE - 2024 now isn't it? I certainly like the bloke from what I've seen.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I think there's quite a lot of truth to this; it's notable that both Blair and Wilson had less than 5 years before their big victories, both taking over after the previous incumbent died. In many ways it would probably be more sensible for the outgoing leader to continue until the middle of the next parliament, but would Labour MPs have tolerated 2.5 more years of Corbyn in order to give the new leader a shorter run-up?

To ask the question is to answer it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think there's quite a lot of truth to this; it's notable that both Blair and Wilson had less than 5 years before their big victories, both taking over after the previous incumbent died. In many ways it would probably be more sensible for the outgoing leader to continue until the middle of the next parliament, but would Labour MPs have tolerated 2.5 more years of Corbyn in order to give the new leader a shorter run-up?

To ask the question is to answer it.

At least with Corbyn still in charge at the moment there would be a clear and obvious reason why they were still tanking in the polls.

52 minutes ago, darrenm said:

How do you spell Pasokification?

Massively tenuous claim to fame, but it was friend and comrade, James Doran who coined the phrase. I know that sounds mental, like claiming you invented the question mark, but it's true. 

• Haha 2

Â