The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

37 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

At least with Corbyn still in charge at the moment there would be a clear and obvious reason why they were still tanking in the polls.

I do wonder where the AS stuff would have gone by now. Perhaps some blueprints for camps to be built under the next Labour government suddenly appearing.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

At least with Corbyn still in charge at the moment there would be a clear and obvious reason why they were still tanking in the polls.

With Corbyn in charge, there would be a reason they are *prepared to admit to themselves* that they are tanking in the polls.

With the absolute avalanche of negativity, misrepresenting or not representing at all that Labour under Corbyn received on pretty much every regular media outlet, and the basic complete opposite of that which Starmer has had, 29% is utter sh*te. Forget the long game lads, Labour is a non entity now. 

1 minute ago, bickster said:

We've not even reached the mid point of the election cycle yet. The polls at this stage only have a limited use. The differences would shorten very quickly if an election were called.

I said that in 2019 because they did in 2017. Alas, in 2019 they didn't ☹️

1 minute ago, avfcDJ said:

Labour will continue to struggle whilst the press is anti Labour 

Starmer has quite clearly had a much easier ride than Corbyn so you can't really say that the press have been anti Labour since Starmer has been in charge.

My take as a neutral observer these days:

You can't win from the centre since the advent of social media, the 247 news cycle and the desperate need of people to be entertained to stave off the boredom.

Trying to do sensible politics no longer works. Blair didn't have Facebook, Twitter and Instagram around. He didn't have people watching parliament live cheering on votes like it's a football match.

You've got to be populist. Brexit 2016, Trump 2016, Corbyn 2017 (yes I know), Johnson 2019, all populist.

For Starmer to win in 2024 or whenever, he'd need:

The left on side. That involves talking up Corbyn (or at least his policies) and reinstating him.

Some really show stopping policies like the stuff of 2019 minus a couple that could be made fun of.

The BBC not being the Tory shield.

Murdoch and other billionaire press barons not being the Tory propaganda.

If anyone can see the above happening then great, the Tories are out in 3 years.

44 minutes ago, darrenm said:

My take as a neutral observer these days:

You can't win from the centre since the advent of social media, the 247 news cycle and the desperate need of people to be entertained to stave off the boredom.

Trying to do sensible politics no longer works. Blair didn't have Facebook, Twitter and Instagram around. He didn't have people watching parliament live cheering on votes like it's a football match.

You've got to be populist. Brexit 2016, Trump 2016, Corbyn 2017 (yes I know), Johnson 2019, all populist.

How does Biden 2020 fit into this narrative?

2 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

How does Biden 2020 fit into this narrative?

There wasn't much of a sweep with Biden. Considering the car crash that Trump was turning America in to, Biden's victory was really underwhelming. Also, Biden kept Bernie close so he had the US left with him. Biden is now doing some really impressive things and seems to have got the victory on don't scare the fishes then start being radical in office which is what Starmer's team obviously see as their route to victory too. Biden was already starting from a decent place with the Democrats and there was a real sense of 'we have to do everything to stop the right' with everyone who wasn't a MAGA. As I say, considering the weight of the media (they're much more balanced over there), celebs, consolidation of the vote, Biden really should have been steamrollering to victory. In the end it wasn't as close as feared.

18 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Biden is now doing some really impressive things and seems to have got the victory on don't scare the fishes then start being radical in office which is what Starmer's team obviously see as their route to victory too.

Sadly I think you are overestimating both how radical Biden is, and how likely Starmer is to attempt even similarly small degrees of progressive social policy. By rights, it should be embarrassing that Democrats are doing more progressive stuff than the Labour right would want to do, but the people advising Starmer are fine with it.

• Like 2

Â