Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

So with Ayew looking likely and another striker on the cards (e.g. Ade) do people feel more positive about our prospects next year?  What do we still need to strengthen.  Lets assume we don’t have an unlimited budget and we have to be selective, what are the biggest problem areas that we must fix?  For me we still need a strong right-side midfielder or winger.

I'm very pleased with what we've done so far and I'm excited about what might still be to come. Losing Benteke is a blow but we got a large wedge and seem to be spending it wisely and the squad is starting to look a lot more balanced. I just hope Sherwood gets them to blend quickly and we make up for Benteke's goals from other areas. I'd be happy with Cambiasso and Adebayor on short-term deals to add experience and another midfielder from Europe e.g Praet.

• Like 3

So with Ayew looking likely and another striker on the cards (e.g. Ade) do people feel more positive about our prospects next year?  What do we still need to strengthen.  Lets assume we don’t have an unlimited budget and we have to be selective, what are the biggest problem areas that we must fix?  For me we still need a strong right-side midfielder or winger.

I'm very pleased with what we've done so far and I'm excited about what might still be to come. Losing Benteke is a blow but we got a large wedge and seem to be spending it wisely and the squad is starting to look a lot more balanced. I just hope Sherwood gets them to blend quickly and we make up for Benteke's goals from other areas. I'd be happy with Cambiasso and Adebayor on short-term deals to add experience and another midfielder from Europe e.g Praet.

Good post that.  In the big scheme of things losing Benteke could actually work out as a positive for us,  we never usually make this kind of money on players and also,  with a player of that type it restricts creativity and restricts formation changes IMO.  Sherwood seems to be taking his time and we all have to give him space and time this transfer window,  we cannot judge until it closes.  The best thing about the window so far is that we are looking for round pegs in round holes for once and we have some players desperate to prove old clubs / old managers that they had them all wrong (eg Richards).  Also,  there are a few players Lambert bought that I never felt we saw the best of so a sprinkle of new additions and some good transfers in / out and we will be in a better position than last year.  I do not get anyone who says we are relegation favourites at this point in the summer.  Also, if you feel a bit fed up with the transfer window then have a look at small heath and their dealings so far,  it could be a lot lot worse.

You never know,  we might surprise a few people this year,  all it would take is to stop letting in goals at home and we would finish above half way for sure.  Sort the home form and the pennies will be at the bottom of the stairs with too many cooks and that.

We all know what we need so I expect the Villa do too for once.

• Like 2

Good post that.  In the big scheme of things losing Benteke could actually work out as a positive for us,  we never usually make this kind of money on players and also,  with a player of that type it restricts creativity and restricts formation changes IMO.  Sherwood seems to be taking his time and we all have to give him space and time this transfer window,  we cannot judge until it closes.  The best thing about the window so far is that we are looking for round pegs in round holes for once and we have some players desperate to prove old clubs / old managers that they had them all wrong (eg Richards).  Also,  there are a few players Lambert bought that I never felt we saw the best of so a sprinkle of new additions and some good transfers in / out and we will be in a better position than last year.  I do not get anyone who says we are relegation favourites at this point in the summer.  Also, if you feel a bit fed up with the transfer window then have a look at small heath and their dealings so far,  it could be a lot lot worse.

You never know,  we might surprise a few people this year,  all it would take is to stop letting in goals at home and we would finish above half way for sure.  Sort the home form and the pennies will be at the bottom of the stairs with too many cooks and that.

We all know what we need so I expect the Villa do too for once.

Now Now we can't have this - you are being positive! But I like it!!! :clap:

• Like 2

I see him mentioned a lot but is Praet or similar really a priority? We already have Gil and Grealish to play attacking midfield.

Jack can play 10 as well I guess.  I think another attacking midfielder would be a priority for me and from what I have read Praet can play both sides so fits the bill.  From the games I have seen this year (not much to go on I know) we look light in the middle, although we still have Gueye and Sánchez to come in. Another strong CM might be needed as well or perhaps someone like Calder can step up, looked good in pre-season.

Edited by Gary Thomas

So, first we get in Fox, then we go on a shopping spree in France, then we get the Director of Sport from Arsenal...

Arsenal mk2? I wish...

This season we won't lose and will end it on 90 points.. Confirmed..

I see him mentioned a lot but is Praet or similar really a priority? We already have Gil and Grealish to play attacking midfield.

I think he is because we need goals from more sources.  Lets say our target is 45 goals, Leicester scored 46 last year and finished 14th.  Where are those goals going to come from?  Lets assume defenders chip in with 6 or so.  That means we still need 40.  If Ayew and Ade sign and have a good season we should be able to realistically expect 25-30 goals from the forward line (Inc. Gabby, Libor).  But even then we still need somewhere in the region of 10-15 goals from our midfield.  I can’t see our DMs (Sánchez, Westward and Gueye) scoring too many so its Gill, Grealish, Sinclair.  So for me someone like Praet would be a priority.

Edited by Gary Thomas

Sherwood has said he will play Gil as his no.10,but we dont want the window to pass and find out hes not good enough

with no real back up available till January

I would say yes it is important. Last season we ended playing 2 number tens, if we do the same this yr and only have Gil Grealish we would be very short, imagine if one of them got injured (Gil already is)

Oops wrong quote, should've been to whoever you were quoting sorry

Edited by mikeyp102

I think he is because we need goals from more sources.  Lets say our target is 45 goals, Leicester scored 46 last year and finished 14th.  Where are those goals going to come from?  Lets assume defenders chip in with 6 or so.  That means we still need 40.  If Ayew and Ade sign and have a good season we should be able to realistically expect 25-30 goals from the forward line (Inc. Gabby, Libor).  But even then we still need somewhere in the region of 10-15 goals from our midfield.  I can’t see our DMs (Sánchez, Westward and Gueye) scoring too many so its Gill, Grealish, Sinclair.  So for me someone like Praet would be a priority.

Imagine what it was like in the 70's. (Bit off topic,  I am too young to remember ish)

"I heard we have a new midfield player,  he's a bit young though"

"What's his name?"

"Dunno,  Cowans or something,  he's really skinny and I just can't see it working"

"Typical Villa,  what are they doing down there FFS."

No youtube clips or anything,  then we go and see him play,  it must have been like *******ing Christmas.

• Like 1