Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

I normally detest loan signings, but in the case of Adebayor it makes more sense to loan than buy.

He will become a free agent next summer and by then at the age of 32 would be looking for one final last contract taking him to retirement.

So on that basis a subsidised wages year at his best (shop window form) would imo be more productive than 3 years of winding down on £70k/week.

Context is important if a deal for Adebayor is done. By that i mean he wouldn't be brought in as a Benteke replacement.

He'd be to replace Bent and Andi, which would probably be where we find his wages from.

If he does end up here I'd feel more confident if a chance landed at his feet rather than at Gabby's.

Probably a bit soon for this but if Nixon mentioned it we will probably be talking about him today. May as well see whats hes like to help the conversation along.

that was like watching a highlights clip of Benteke, very similar style.....get him in

This kid looks like the best out of the ones we've been linked with! As said, Benteke esque and even more of a unit! GET HIM!

• Like 2

Adebayor with the exception of Benteke, would be the best striker we've had in long time. I know he's 31 now, but If he signs and plays the full season, I'd back him to score more goals than most strikers have got for us in recent times too.

I know he scored goals for Sherwood. I know his inherant ability has led him to play for some huge clubs in some massive games. I know he's scored some great goals. I know he wouldnt/couldnt be as bad as

I doubt he'd be as bad as Heskey. I know we're begging and can't be choosy. But my mate is a Spurs fan and he'll laugh at me if we go anywhere near Adebayor.

I agree. Whatever his age and level of wages the bloke certainly knows where the back of the net is, and is decent from crosses and scraps in the box.

31, 32 or whatever, in terms of goals I'd definitely back him to hit anything in the 8 - 15 range. If we signed Adebayor as well as an Austin or Oulare I'd fancy us to be a lot more dangerous and prolific than last season.

Lot of people will be left disappointed I think. Adebayor is Def on the radar. However we just need to be patient. As ever I'll judge at the end of the window.

This.

Also if he is a mature striker as we also buy a young striker, I say go for it. I wouldn't want him on his own but I can go for that.

Quite optimistic right now.

Bringing Adebayor in on loan for a season and signing this Oulare lad would be fantastic business imo. Specially if we also bring in another Belgian lad like Praet to help him settle.

We can't expect Oulare to be doing what Benteke did straight away, so whilst he's settling down and finding his feet having Adebayor, Kozak and Gabby to step in isn't bad going really.

I'd be against loaning Oulare out straight away, think he would need to be brought into the fold instantly.

For me, bringing in Adebayor on loan and signing a player with potential is an absolute no brainer.

• Like 1

I don't think theres much doubt about Adebayor in terms of his playing attributes. But what about his off field problems that have been well documented. Will he be in the right frame of mind now after all thats gone on 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLEyMsiRnlo

Probably a bit soon for this but if Nixon mentioned it we will probably be talking about him today. May as well see whats hes like to help the conversation along.

that was like watching a highlights clip of Benteke, very similar style.....get him in

This kid looks like the best out of the ones we've been linked with! As said, Benteke esque and even more of a unit! GET HIM!

He looks like the perfect fit for a Villa number 9.

From that he looks quick, strong, decent in the air and to have great awareness with some of the assists. A few nice finishes too, but for all we know he could have missed 5 sitters previous to slotting one home!

The music in that video makes me want to hurt small animals.

The players looks a talent though! 

It would probably suit Adebayor more to come on loan rather than a 3 year contract anyway because he'd probably earn more going on a Bosman in a year's time to China or the middle east than he would with us.

Wondered when the Oulare links would start appearing. Lots of similarities to Benteke, some subtle differences too. It's almost too "easy" of a link, kind of like when Tim first joined everyone was linking us to every Spurs player, but if we're looking to keep a style with someone wit a physical frame up front then Oulare could easily develop in to that - but I caution he would need time to develop in to that person. If we threw him straight in to the squad he would be under immense pressure to emulate Benteke straight away.

That's why I think a loan for another player (Adebayor/Bamford) would make sense. Store Oulare behind Kozak, and the loanee, even Gabby, spell him in to the team and let him develop. He's only 19 (Benteke was 21 when we signed him) and if you watch him you can tell he's still got a lot of growing left to do, he hasn't filled out his frame yet.

• Like 2

Bullet well and truly dodged!

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/bad-news-for-southampton-ron-vlaar-out-for-the-year

Bad news for Southampton, Ron Vlaar out for the year

On Saturday reports across the British and Dutch media (ELF) carried claims that Ron Vlaar was set to sign for Southampton after leaving Aston Villa when his contracted ended with the club this summer. Vlaar has been linked with Southampton for some time and a deal was expected to be completed when he recovered from a minor knee operation.

We covered that aspect of it just over a week ago and said that whilst it was good for Vlaar to be optimistic about a return date, he was perhaps being a little unrealistic. Vlaar told De Telegraaf "The removal of a piece of meniscus from my left knee is necessary in order to again get in top condition. It's better to have surgery now than during the season. The expectation is that I can start training again two days after surgery. Within three to four weeks, i should be one hundred percent.

"I'm only concerned with my surgery and then with my recovery. The clubs know what I can do and have my phone number. So I'm not worried. Early August - before the start of the competitions - I'm fully fit."

We said at the time: 'Vlaar's optimism is admirable but perhaps unrealistic. He'll undergo surgery next week in Rotterdam and to be fully fit for early August would take a medical miracle.'

Now the situation looks much worse than even we thought. Voetbal International say that after leaving Aston Villa, Vlaar probably won't play again this year after it was decided his rehabilitation will take four months. He's still positive about the future and a return when he's fully fit, thinking that this operation will ultimately help him prolong his career. 

Wondered when the Oulare links would start appearing. Lots of similarities to Benteke, some subtle differences too. It's almost too "easy" of a link, kind of like when Tim first joined everyone was linking us to every Spurs player, but if we're looking to keep a style with someone wit a physical frame up front then Oulare could easily develop in to that - but I caution he would need time to develop in to that person. If we threw him straight in to the squad he would be under immense pressure to emulate Benteke straight away.

That's why I think a loan for another player (Adebayor/Bamford) would make sense. Store Oulare behind Kozak, and the loanee, even Gabby, spell him in to the team and let him develop. He's only 19 (Benteke was 21 when we signed him) and if you watch him you can tell he's still got a lot of growing left to do, he hasn't filled out his frame yet.

What other strikers have caught your eye as a potential replacement for Benteke?

If we got Oulare then I think we would need sign Adebayor as well as you cant put all the pressure on a kids shoulders and Adebayor still capable of getting 12-15 goals a season