Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Was Downing supposed to be poor last season? I thought he was great every time I saw him play which was probably 7-8 times. I don't agree with him losing his legs, he might not have quite the pace he used to have but he is still fast enough and he usually played in a #10 role last season anyway and he was very effective. He got twice as many goals + assists as any of your players last season bar Benteke. He is almost 31 but he should have a couple years left in him yet. If you can get him for 5-7m I think it would be a good buy.

Sure you could throw that at a foreign player who could turn out better but they could easily turn out a lot worse. You know what you are going to get with Downing and imo that would be one of your best players for a couple of years, especially if he has Benteke to work with. 

He kind of faded away the second half of the season after a very good start.

Was Downing supposed to be poor last season? I thought he was great every time I saw him play which was probably 7-8 times. I don't agree with him losing his legs, he might not have quite the pace he used to have but he is still fast enough and he usually played in a #10 role last season anyway and he was very effective. He got twice as many goals + assists as any of your players last season bar Benteke. He is almost 31 but he should have a couple years left in him yet. If you can get him for 5-7m I think it would be a good buy.

Sure you could throw that at a foreign player who could turn out better but they could easily turn out a lot worse. You know what you are going to get with Downing and imo that would be one of your best players for a couple of years, especially if he has Benteke to work with. 

Every time I saw him play for them I thought he played well. He gave us problems when played them. Downing isnt finished yet

Delph will stay so we need another midfielder who can get forward and actually score like Cleverley was starting to do. Westwood/Sanchez and maybe Gary Gardner will rotate the other spot. That is enough until January.

Will he?

Edit: Westwood and Gardner are not good enough IMO. Sanchez needs to seriously step up his game.

Yes Gardner we'll have to wait and see. I'm not suggesting for one minute I want him starting games after his injuries, just more as a back up player.

Westwood will always divide opinion on this board, he's a marmite player on here but the middle trio were working well enough for the final 6 weeks of the season up to the Southampton game anyway.

He's better than any of our wide players and would be a massive improvement on N'Zogbia, so yes.

Nobody is good enough for villa on here mate
That's not really true is it? There are lots and lots and lots of players that many VTers would say are good enough for Villa.

But if you think exaggerating is a good way of counter-balancing the few people who exaggerate the quality of our current squad, then fair enough.

• Like 1

If Downing offered to play for free I would still tell him to **** off

Just wondering would you have the said attitude towards ashley young?

You're comparing him to Downing...really.

Absolutely no comparison. Young did his time here and went with my best wishes despite my dislike for Man Utd. We looked after Downing and he jumped ship at the first opportunity

If Downing offered to play for free I would still tell him to **** off

Just wondering would you have the said attitude towards ashley young?

You're comparing him to Downing...really.

Absolutely no comparison. Young did his time here and went with my best wishes despite my dislike for Man Utd. We looked after Downing and he jumped ship at the first opportunity

Yes but Mliner only played 10 games more for Villa than Downing did yet he's a hero and Downing is a Villain. I would say Milner did exactly the same as Downing.