Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

If we had paid 3/4m for him on 35/40 grand a week would that've been better? He was probably on a lot more than that at City and has turned down a lot more at Sunderland which says a lot about his desire.

More like a £5-6m fee with £35-per-week wages if it is a long-term contract as reported. In which case, no, I wouldn't have been happy with that either for a guy who hasn't played a season of regular football in five years.

However, breaking the wage structure for him is worse. It sets a precedent. What's to stop all our other better players wanting parity with him? If it becomes known that we offer £65k-per-week to the likes of Micah Richards, then you can only imagine what any genuine quality targets will demand.

• Like 1

If we had paid 3/4m for him on 35/40 grand a week would that've been better? He was probably on a lot more than that at City and has turned down a lot more at Sunderland which says a lot about his desire.

More like a £5-6m fee with £35-per-week wages if it is a long-term contract as reported. In which case, no, I wouldn't have been happy with that either for a guy who hasn't played a season of regular football in five years.

However, breaking the wage structure for him is worse. It sets a precedent. What's to stop all our other better players wanting parity with him? If it becomes known that we offer £65k-per-week to the likes of Micah Richards, then you can only imagine what any genuine quality targets will demand.

I suppose it comes down to if you think he's worth it. I do. It's a gamble but we have to gamble a bit at the minute because getting players of his quality (former) will be difficult for us. 3 years ago he won the league with City and was their player of the year with 5 assists that form is better than anything we have at the club. If he regains that form he'll be a bargain.

• Like 1

Someone said earlier that it's a bit of a QPR signing, and I have to agree. Not a good first signing for Sherwood.

Any chance you can explain what a 'qpr' signing is? He's not old he's not on excessive wages we haven't paid any money in a brown bag anything else?
You just answered your own question fella!

I know so he's nothing like a QPR signing!! I was just wondering if I'd missed something!

Eerr... QPR signed loads of over rated players who were still young. Pure athletes and shite footballers. Remember Diakite? Hoillett? Mbia? Samba? SWP?  I'm sure most of them weren't on much more than 65k if they were at all. if you put Richards in that list of players he wouldn't look out of place at all.  

Edited by PieFacE

I suppose it comes down to if you think he's worth it. I do. It's a gamble but we have to gamble a bit at the minute because getting players of his quality (former) will be difficult for us. 3 years ago he won the league with City and was their player of the year with 5 assists that form is better than anything we have at the club. If he regains that form he'll be a bargain.

Just checking, made 29 appearences that season. Surprised to read that but fair enough. He was playing at right-back then however, whereas we are signing him to play as a centre-back by the sounds of it.

whereas we are signing him to play as a centre-back by the sounds of it.

Here lies the problem

He's not as good as Vlaar as a CB and he's just as injury prone

Every time I watch Michael Bradley play for USA, I always think what could have been if Houllier actually gave him a chance. Bradley is the American Schweinsteiger. 

We should really pursue Deandre Yedlin from spurs if they don't want him. He made Blind and Germany's defense look amateur numerous times. I don't understand how Yedlin isn't played more.

Oh also that American goal keeper Guzan is pretty good. We should sign him up. 

I watch him play for Toronto last year and for some reason he was taking every set piece.

The guy is absolute toilet, has zero technical ability what so ever. Tries to spray the ball about and it is embarrassing.

I don't know what Toronto matches you are watching but they clearly aren't the same as me. He is anything but toilet and he has great technical ability. He regularly dominates matches for TFC.

Richards is a good player and I think this is a good signing.

It's funny that we've gone from people moaning that we act like a a championship club, to spending what is now considered the going rate for an established Premier League player and people still find cause to complain.

Welcome to Villatalk. Enjoy your stay.

Don't we have enough players to keep our medical team busy already without Micah "Sicknote" Richards.

But whats the point of having Medical staff if nobody is injured?

Every time I watch Michael Bradley play for USA, I always think what could have been if Houllier actually gave him a chance. Bradley is the American Schweinsteiger. 

We should really pursue Deandre Yedlin from spurs if they don't want him. He made Blind and Germany's defense look amateur numerous times. I don't understand how Yedlin isn't played more.

Oh also that American goal keeper Guzan is pretty good. We should sign him up. 

I watch him play for Toronto last year and for some reason he was taking every set piece.

The guy is absolute toilet, has zero technical ability what so ever. Tries to spray the ball about and it is embarrassing.

With all due respect, this tells me that you haven't seen Bradley play much.  He was beast-level against both the Netherlands and Germany--and was the best player, on either team, against Germany.  And these are just recent examples of the way he frequently plays.

Someone said earlier that it's a bit of a QPR signing, and I have to agree. Not a good first signing for Sherwood.

Any chance you can explain what a 'qpr' signing is? He's not old he's not on excessive wages we haven't paid any money in a brown bag anything else?
You just answered your own question fella!

I know so he's nothing like a QPR signing!! I was just wondering if I'd missed something!

Eerr... QPR signed loads of over rated players who were still young. Pure athletes and shite footballers. Remember Diakite? Hoillett? Mbia? Samba? SWP?  I'm sure most of them weren't on much more than 65k if they were at all. if you put Richards in that list of players he wouldn't look out of place at all.  

Yes, that group of players was exactly what I had in mind when I said it. 

He's been a crock for four years, has played badly when he has played recently, and is on huge, wage structure-distorting money. Hence, a QPR signing. 

I agree, he is a QPR'ish signing. Would rather have signed Trippier but if we can keep him fit i'm sure he'll be solid for us (if played at rb). 

I hope the reason he for us instead of Sunderland isn't because we said we saw him as a CB. 

Is anybody else confused over the transfer/takeover situation? wouldn't signing or selling any player alter the figures and financial numbers of the club. Surely it would make more sense not to change the squad for the 6 week period to see if a takeover happens or not, then either way kick on from there.

Is anybody else confused over the transfer/takeover situation? wouldn't signing or selling any player alter the figures and financial numbers of the club. Surely it would make more sense not to change the squad for the 6 week period to see if a takeover happens or not, then either way kick on from there.

It depends how you read into it. I'd say that if we've been authorised to sign a player, especially on the sort of wages being reported, whilst in an exclusivity period it could mean the sale is progressing quickly and the incoming owners have already given the go ahead for this deal.