Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Could probably have £40m+ to spend this summer. Think Southampton spent around £56m last summer and pretty much just bought a new core and got a few loans in to cover it. Chances of it happening again are probably slim. Takes me back to Sherwood's column when he stated he could save a premier league chairman a lot of money on air fare and scouting by just looking at the championship and below, wouldn't be the worst thing I guess but a championship spine would again lead to more struggling for me if we went for that route.

I had no problem with us buying championship players under Lambert. I like the strategy of giving young players a chance and we've seen Westwood develop over the years and Lowton threaten to.

The problem is when it's the only strategy as it was in 12/13 and we nearly went down. You need a mix, young kids mixed with tried and tested premier league players who obviously will cost more in fees and certainly wages.

To me if we sell Benteke there's no excuse not to get experienced premier league players aswell as from the lower leagues.

• Like 2

Need to replace quality with quality

Replacing them with inexperienced tryhards will relegate us this time round especially when we won't have Benteke to carry the team like he did that one season

• Like 2

I think we need a more creative spark more than anything. It's a miracle Benteke's scored as many as he has for us considering how dire the supply line has been for 90% of his time.

We have Grealish, I really hope we don't ditch Gil but if we do then sign another creative player, stick Austin as the lead striker and we'll score at a similar rate as other players will be stepping up and scoring rather than just Benteke most of the time as is now.

The central midfielders should be scoring more aswell. Sherwood's already talking about Cleverley reaching double figures next season if he signs, I make him right and we know Delph should score more goals than he does.

It won't be easy but spreading the goals around will help post Benteke. After all we did only score 31 in 38 this season which is a very low base to beat.

I just can't see us finding another player that is even close to Benteke in terms of ability, especially within our budget.

Yes it's impossible but a different type of striker can still score regularly, Charlie Austin or Ings don't have the all round game of Benteke by a distance but put crosses into the box and both will get on the end of them and probably hit 10-15 goals I reckon.

It's either that or an unknown punt from abroad. Who on here on May 28th 2012 had heard of Christian Benteke after all?

The problem is when it's the only strategy as it was in 12/13 and we nearly went down. You need a mix, young kids mixed with tried and tested premier league players who obviously will cost more in fees and certainly wages.

And we were on course to go down with a considerably more experienced squad this season - both in terms of new signings and experience gained by original signings. So cannot be summised that the initial policy was responsible for the struggle in 2012/13. Rather it was the manager. Whatever approach he had gone with was doomed to failure while he headed it.

And we were on course to go down with a considerably more experienced squad this season - both in terms of new signings and experience gained by original signings. So cannot be summised that the initial policy was responsible for the struggle in 2012/13. Rather it was the manager. Whatever approach he had gone with was doomed to failure while he headed it.

Our signings this summer were never going to do much, Joe Cole has been in semi retirement for years, Richardson and Senderos were regulars in Fulham getting relegated. It was as much to bulk up the squad with Lambert getting rid of his failed 13-14 summer signings which were a total mess bar Okore and obviously Bacuna when he actually started to play again.

When I say proven premier league experience I talk about Neil Taylor, Ki, Charlie Austin, Johnny Evans, Kieran Trippier etc. Players in their mid 20s rather than old crocks.

Get some of those in and we'll be alright.

We wont find another benteke. We will have to change our style of play. Could we have withdrawn interest in the Swindon lads as we will have more money to spend.. aiming for higher calibre players

• Like 1

Our signings this summer were never going to do much, Joe Cole has been in semi retirement for years, Richardson and Senderos were regulars in Fulham getting relegated. It was as much to bulk up the squad with Lambert getting rid of his failed 13-14 summer signings which were a total mess bar Okore and obviously Bacuna when he actually started to play again.

When I say proven premier league experience I talk about Neil Taylor, Ki, Charlie Austin, Johnny Evans, Kieran Trippier etc. Players in their mid 20s rather than old crocks.

Get some of those in and we'll be alright.

Plus Cleverley...and Sinclair in January. Like I say though, the better players at the club would have constituted 'proven Premier League quality' would they not? If the likes of Trippier qualifies as such (not that I'm disputing that).

We wont find another benteke. We will have to change our style of play. Could we have withdrawn interest in the Swindon lads as we will have more money to spend.. aiming for higher calibre players

Based off of the comments from Gladwin it would seem that he didn't think he was quite good enough for the Premier League yet.

I wonder if the Swindon 2 had a choice of QPR or us? Or did QPR bid more than we did, offer more wages and mention that they are a club in London? Those two otherwise seem to lack ambition and the confidence to back their ability to force their way into the first team squad of this season's FA Cup winners. 

If Benteke did get sold to Liverpool or to someone else do you think sherwood would take a punt on balotelli? I'm not saying I want him, but with sherwoods ability of transforming adebayor and getting benteke smiling and scoring again and the focus of our play I wonder if sherwood reckons he could get the best out of balotelli and would see him as a bit of a younger adebayor. 10m would probably be enough to get him if he did

I wonder if the Swindon 2 had a choice of QPR or us? Or did QPR bid more than we did, offer more wages and mention that they are a club in London? Those two otherwise seem to lack ambition and the confidence to back their ability to force their way into the first team squad of this season's FA Cup winners.

I wonder if Sherwood has struck a deal with qpr and his friend Chris Ramsey by pulling out of the luongo/gladwin race so we can have a punt at Austin?

It seems odd that Ts has personally scouted luongo only a few weeks back and it was looking all set to go but then qpr steal a march on us.

• Like 1

and thats something we should be happy about, that balotelly wouldnt come here that is.

personally i hope/think benteke will stay another season

Edited by tomaspg

I wonder if Sherwood has struck a deal with qpr and his friend Chris Ramsey by pulling out of the luongo/gladwin race so we can have a punt at Austin?

It seems odd that Ts has personally scouted luongo only a few weeks back and it was looking all set to go but then qpr steal a march on us.

Think you could be on to something, even if we haven't got a gentlemans agreement on Austin there's every danger sherwood was scouting them thought they weren't ready / good enough and told Ramsey to go for them

Good thought that. Certainly would explain what's happened. Austin in upfront next to Kozak then the rest of the benteke money to spend elsewhere could be very  acceptable.