Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Apparently Delph has said that he's 100% certain that we won't be in this position next season. But then again he probably would say that, but hopefully he knows of big plans.

Someone at the club says that every year

We need a complete overhaul - the league position is probably right and the FA Cup runners up position was down to good-will and performing on certain fixtures.

The problem is, we're not going to be able to shift our poor players and will have trouble retaining our best either. We will end up with a squad that no one wants (including our manager) without serious investment - and where is that coming from?

Regardless of best intentions and dream-like scenarios, I do not expect us to improve next season.

Edited by theboyangel
  • Like 2

I'm expecting us to improve next season.

Partly because of optimism, partly because I just think Sherwood will get those extra wins we need to reach safety and lastly, because I have a good feeling about the general set-up at the club right now.

Randy has admitted that even if he can't sell us, he's taking a step back. This leaves Fox or a new chairman in charge, and I think Fox is a bit more clued-up than Randy on what it takes for a team to move forward.

If Fox doesn't get Randy to budge on the measly transfer budget, then I reckon Sherwood will give a blunt and honest 'assessment' of the funds to Fox, which could give him the push to convince Randy that more is needed.

Cissokho, Gil, Weimann, Tonev, Sylla, Lowton, Senderos are the only few I can think of that will 100% be gone.

Guzan, Hutton, Vlaar, Richardson, Cole, Agbonlahor, Gardner, Bennett could all go.

Should be an interesting summer. Wouldn't mind if all them left now apart from Guzan. The rest of the team is the solid spine/future IMO.

• Like 1

Bent - £60k p/w gone

Herd - £10k p/w gone

Cissokho - £30k p/w will probably go

Weimann - £25k p/w will probably go

Tonev - £10k p/w will probably go

Sylla - £15k p/w will probably go

Lowton - £20k p/w will probably go

Senderos - £30k p/w will probably go

Helenius - £15k p/w will probably go

Luna - £15k p/w will probably go

If the above players get sold, then we might make 5-6m from sales, if we're lucky. But it's the wages off the bill that will make the biggest difference. After all the outgoings, we might have roughly £200k off the wage bill per week.

Then there's a list of players who, due to poor performances & not being picked, could possibly go: Vlaar, Gil, Cole, Sanchez, Bennett, Richardson, N'Zogbia.... All of this before we add in the almost certainty that is Benteke leaving!

I reckon we could see a massively different squad and first eleven next season. Let's hope we don't look like Sunderland or Hull when they made lots of signings!

• Like 1

We will be lucky to sell off 2-3 players let alone the 7-8 mentioned on here. If we don't want them, who does? Plus why would some of these players agree to leave and likely go to a lower league where they'd make less money? They could just request a loan or take a year off. 

• Like 3

With TS stating he has already told fringe players to find new clubs and investment is needed who do you think will be around next season?

Out of the first team squad (and not including promising youth players like kinsella, robinson or hepburn murphy etc) I'd look at doing the following:

Guzan - retain

Given - move on

Steer - retain

Lowton - move on (sadly)

Hutton - retain

Bacuna - retain

Vlaar - move on

Senderos - move on

Okore - retain

Clark - retain

Baker - retain

Cissokho - move on

Bennet - move on

Richardson - retain

Luna - move on

Delph - retain

Westwood - retain

Cleverley - retain (if possible)

Gardner - retain

Sanchez - retain

Sylla - move on

Herd - move on

N'Zogbia - move on

Sinclair - retain

Grealish - retain

Gil - retain (but think he's doomed)

Cole - move on

Tonev - move on

Benteke - retain (but think he's gone :( )

Gabby - retain

Weimann - move on

Helenius - move on

Kozak - retain

Bent - gone!

I make that 15 players to be shown the door (which is a huge ask) and 19 players retained - meaning a maximum of 6 players coming in (not factoring u21s etc)

Our obvious requirements are at LB, CB (x1), AM and ST so basically the spine of the team!

However much we're all hurting right now, no one can deny it's going to be a very interesting closed season.

• Like 3

With TS stating he has already told fringe players to find new clubs and investment is needed who do you think will be around next season?

Out of the first team squad (and not including promising youth players like kinsella, robinson or hepburn murphy etc) I'd look at doing the following:

Guzan - retain

Given - move on

Steer - retain

Lowton - move on (sadly)

Hutton - retain

Bacuna - retain

Vlaar - move on

Senderos - move on

Okore - retain

Clark - retain

Baker - retain

Cissokho - move on

Bennet - move on

Richardson - retain

Luna - move on

Delph - retain

Westwood - retain

Cleverley - retain (if possible)

Gardner - retain

Sanchez - retain

Sylla - move on

Herd - move on

N'Zogbia - move on

Sinclair - retain

Grealish - retain

Gil - retain (but think he's doomed)

Cole - move on

Tonev - move on

Benteke - retain (but think he's gone :( )

Gabby - retain

Weimann - move on

Helenius - move on

Kozak - retain

Bent - gone!

I make that 15 players to be shown the door (which is a huge ask) and 19 players retained - meaning a maximum of 6 players coming in (not factoring u21s etc)

Our obvious requirements are at LB, CB (x1), AM and ST so basically the spine of the team!

However much we're all hurting right now, no one can deny it's going to be a very interesting closed season.

I agree pretty much 100% with that assesment. Though we won't shift all of those players mentioned, I'm hoping the ones with substantial wages will be the ones who go first. I can live with Lowton or Bennett hanhing around one more season.
  • Like 1

New keeper? - 5/6m

New left back? - 5/6m

Clark

Okore

New right back? - 5/6m

Delph

Cleverley?

New holding mid - £10m

New winger / inside forward / attacking mid - £15m

Grealish

New striker - £15m

Also need a back up central defender, maybe a midfielder and striker.

• Like 1

In order just to stand still as other clubs improve we need 30m spent on the team. If we want to progress and have a season of not worrying about relegation we need 50m spent. If we want to progress further and compete with stokes and evertons we need 80m spent especially if benteke leaves, and that is a minimum figure. We aren't going to spend that no chance.

• Like 2

In order just to stand still as other clubs improve we need 30m spent on the team. If we want to progress and have a season of not worrying about relegation we need 50m spent. If we want to progress further and compete with stokes and evertons we need 80m spent especially if benteke leaves, and that is a minimum figure. We aren't going to spend that no chance.

Been saying this for a while. Completely agree.

I think we'd improve next season if we didn't spend a single penny. I don't think it will take a ridiculous amount to get to 10th 11th. It's just how much Lerner will allow, especially wages and if benteke is sold.

All I want is to get all our business done and dusted before Benteke is sold.

Going to any clubs with 30 million known to be in the bank will be madness!

Guzan

Hutton

Bacuna

Delph

Cleverly

Grealish

Gardner

Sinclair

Benteke

Are all worth keeping as either starters or squad players. The others I have very little faith in or are just so damn poor it's embarrassing watching them. Major overhaul needed...

• Like 1