Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Kasper Schmeichel ;)

Even younger! ;)

Returning to the keeper discussion, Grant Wahl of Sports Illustrated claims he's been told Sherwood is actively seeking a new one.

Brad Guzan has been on the bench for the past two league games at Aston Villa after manager Tim Sherwood sat him following his mistake that led to a goal against Man City. Villa is in good shape to avoid relegation, but the question now is about Guzan’s future at the club with Sherwood in charge.

I’m told that Sherwood has begun making inquiries about acquiring a goalkeeper for next season, and if he doesn’t rate Guzan as a starter, there’s a chance the U.S. keeper could move elsewhere.

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015/05/14/brad-guzan-fabian-johnson-julie-johnston-usmnt-uswnt

Now, it could mean that he is seeking someone to provide sterner competition to Guzan but I see Given remaining as No. 2 next season - he seems content just to see out his contract. So if it is as most reports seem to agree upon, Guzan's days here are numbered I suspect. He's quite possibly already played his last match.

• Like 1

I know Guzan hasnt played to his usual high standards this season but I really dont think hes been so bad he needs replacing.  I wouldnt even say hes been bad this season, just average, would be disappointed if we sold him. 

• Like 2

I know Guzan hasnt played to his usual high standards this season but I really dont think hes been so bad he needs replacing.  I wouldnt even say hes been bad this season, just average, would be disappointed if we sold him. 

He won't be sold but I imagine Sherwood hopes this decision refocuses him.

A younger keeper was always going to be signed this summer as obviously Given will be 40 in May and until this season's cup run was in semi retirement here anyway and from what I've seen in the cups Jed Steer wouldn't be good enough to play week in week out in the prem.

I reckon it's tony parkes decision to replace Guzan, he seems to be Sherwood's most trusted lieutenant on match day, ex GK himself. Plus tony cotton now our dedicated gk scout I think it's goodbye brad.

Long term we'd need two keepers then as Shay Given will be retiring in a years time.

I think Guzan will stay but we'll see if he starts the season as number one or two. I'd be disappointed if he left straight away rather than wait until January and see how things pan out.

Plenty of top keepers have had to bide their time, Petr Cech has just spent a season on the bench when he's easily good enough to be number one for 90% of clubs in europe, Schzney is number two at Arsenal now after being first choice for last 4 years and Casillas was number two for league games last season.

I don't think he should be sold but i do believe we should bring in better competition to keep him on his toes to avoid complacency, as i believe shay dosent offer that.

Guzan has been here for 7 years. If we get rid of him because of one miss kick, I will seriously question this club. Guzan had two phenomenal seasons, and this season has been average. No way does that warrant replacing. 

I would be convinced it is not one miss kick. He has looked unsure and unsteady this season and certainly not at the standard he has been at in previous seasons.

Still a good keeper, but with Given also not as good as he was, I can see why Sherwood would be looking at other options.

Guzan has been here for 7 years. If we get rid of him because of one miss kick, I will seriously question this club. Guzan had two phenomenal seasons, and this season has been average. No way does that warrant replacing. 

I would be convinced it is not one miss kick. He has looked unsure and unsteady this season and certainly not at the standard he has been at in previous seasons.

Still a good keeper, but with Given also not as good as he was, I can see why Sherwood would be looking at other options.

Come off it, he's 30 - pretty much hitting his prime as a keeper. I'll be annoyed if we get rid of him - he's not had a great season but he has had 2 fantastic seasons prior to that and I'm sure he'll be back to his best. He's also a really likable character and loves the club. 

• Like 2

Come off it, he's 30 - pretty much hitting his prime as a keeper. I'll be annoyed if we get rid of him - he's not had a great season but he has had 2 fantastic seasons prior to that and I'm sure he'll be back to his best. He's also a really likable character and loves the club.

I agree with the part bolded and I'd like us to keep him, however I do not agree that he has been "fantastic" for the last two seasons. He has been good for the level we've been at certainly, however, looking at our weekly line-up I think it is one position that could really be improved upon (and should be improved on if we're to climb the table).

Brad's distribution is what worries me the most, but also his decision making is sometimes very rash. As I've previously said, his command of the box is excellent, but he seriously makes some clangers and I think for the last two seasons he has very little pressure in terms of losing his place. Bringing in a bright, young keeper that could actually fight for a first team place could help Brad to improve, or it could make him lose his place (which has already happened with Given).

Long story short: Bring in a bright, young keeper that is actually going places and see if Brad can keep him out of the team.

• Like 1

Get down to Loftus Road and bag Phillips and Fer.  Both scored again today, and have been the only bright spots with Austin of their wretched season.

Unsure about Phillips but I'd definitely like us to look at Fer. Rated him at Norwich and he has been by far QPR's best player this season IMO (when I've seen them).

Get down to Loftus Road and bag Phillips and Fer.  Both scored again today, and have been the only bright spots with Austin of their wretched season.

£8m a pop and on £40,000, two relegations to their name already.

No thanks mate.

• Like 2

Alex McCarthy anyone? Thought he was excellent with Reading a couple years back.

If the rumour about Green to Chelsea has any truth in it i'd imagine QPR will want to keep him as first choice next season.