Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2015/05/07/report-aston-villa-interested-in-signing-real-madrid-striker-jes/

Aston Villa are being linked with a move for a Spanish striker this week, as reports in Spain claim they are keen on the signature of Real Madrid youngster Jese Rodriguez.

The 22-year-old is being linked with a move to Villa by Spanish source Punto Pelota. The Real star is highly rated in the Spanish capital but has recently seen his playing time battered by injury and competition for places.

He suffered a serious knee injury in March 2014 which kept him out of action for most of the year.

Now he has a fight on his hands to get ahead of the strikers at the Champions League winners, with Cristiano Ronaldo, Karim Benzema, Javier Hernandez and Gareth Bale all ahead in the pecking order.

Aston Villa could certainly do with some more attacking talent, but a loan move for Jese would come as something of a surprise.

• Like 1

Shay has had an alright career, but I wouldn't say he's had a super successful one, and one of the main reasons for that is that he's poor at crosses which may or may not be due to his vertical handicap

I think that is a touch harsh on Shay particularly as he has spent a lot of his time at Newcastle. :)  For me he has been one of the most consistent keepers in the top flight over the past 15 years or so and has done a fine job for Ireland having won well over 100 caps.

Height wise Banks was 6 foot one as was Shilton and Sepp Maier whilst Jimmy Rimmer was half an inch shorter. So although I accept that most keepers today are taller than Shay and AgostoI I would not hesitate to sign any of these past keepers on grounds of height alone although I admit age is a bit against them now. ;)        

Shay has had an alright career, but I wouldn't say he's had a super successful one, and one of the main reasons for that is that he's poor at crosses which may or may not be due to his vertical handicap

750 career games mostly at the highest level, im sure it was better than alright. Maybe he hasnt won as much trophies but im sure he would go down as one of best in Premier League during his prime

• Like 1

750 career games mostly at the highest level, im sure it was better than alright. Maybe he hasnt won as much trophies but im sure he would go down as one of best in Premier League during his prime

averaged just over 20 games a season in the PL over his career. Certainly not the numbers of a guy who'll go down as one of the best in the league (which he's nowhere close to, btw). 

Great shot stopper, very good highlights keeper, but always lacking aerially

during his prime 01-06 he was one of best keepers in the league. as i said 750 career games is a lot better than alright especially as most of them was in Premier League

For goodness sake, I meant his career has been successful in that he's played in the premier league for good teams often as the number one.

I'm not trying to say he's amazing. Just that he's managed 20 years in the premier league.

So claiming a keeper who is one inch shorter than him is far to small to be a premier league goalkeeper is obviously a big exaggeration.

If you'd said he was far too short to be a world class goalkeeper, or far too short to be a very good premier league goalkeeper then you may have a point. But you didn't.

Edited by Stevo985

Tbf P3te did say 5' 11" is too short for a Premier League GK.

Not for the average joe walking down the street.

He said FAR too short to be a premier league goalkeeper.

Which, as I said, is a huge exaggeration.

It's the reach and wingspan that matter, not height. Following basketball and NBA draft quite intensively, I can say there can be quite a difference in how tall a player is and how high he can reach. Someone can be several inches shorter but reach higher. Would be interesting to see those kind of measurements for football goal keepers.

It's the reach and wingspan that matter, not height. Following basketball and NBA draft quite intensively, I can say there can be quite a difference in how tall a player is and how high he can reach. Someone can be several inches shorter but reach higher. Would be interesting to see those kind of measurements for football goal keepers.

Don't forget their how agile they are - this keeper could jump like a spider monkey for all we know. 

GK - Guzan, Given, Steer

DF - Hutton, Bacuna, Lowton, Okore, Clark, Baker, Senderos, (Richards), Cissokho, Bennett Richardson (Taylor)

MF - Delph (Cleverley) Sanchez, Westwood, Gardner (Luongo)

AM - Grealish, Gil (Sinclair) N'Zogbia, Cole 

CF - Benteke, Kozak, Gabby, Robinson, Helenius (Bamford)

Spending probably under 15 million, I think this side would be in the top 10.

Including getting Bent off the wage bill, Weimann out for a few million, Luna out for whatever, if Taylor comes in one of Cissokho or Bennett could go. Potentially even time for lowton to leave.

If there's investment on top of that we could be in a very good position this time next year. 

Edited by dweldon1