Players you've completely forgotten about

VillaChris

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I'm not sure about that one Stevo, I think the vast majority of people took Salifou for what he was - a strange, cult signing.

They did, but there were plenty of people calling for him to be in the team at the time.

30 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Perhaps until they/we had seen him play ;)

Quite. That's kind of my point.

If a player is on the bench for ages and isn't getting gametime, there's PROBABLY a reason why.

The longer that player stays there the more and more fans seems to want him in.

Eventually they play and they end up being shit. Which is why they weren't in the team for so long.

5 hours ago, Xela said:

Genuinely one of the strangest signings ever. He must have had some massive dirt of the manager and owners! 

We signed a Spanish defender under Sherwood, and a Portuguese goalkeeper this summer, who I find equally inexplicable. 

34 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

We signed a Spanish defender under Sherwood, and a Portuguese goalkeeper this summer, who I find equally inexplicable. 

I think clubs must just be offered players last minute sometimes and managers/clubs just take a punt on them.

Maybe they have some room in the wage budget, do a quick bit of research and say yeah let's go for it.

Only thing that makes sense regarding players like Salifou, Bowery, Ilori etc
I can't really believe that a scouting team would have scouted Jordan Bowery for weeks/months and decided we needed to sign him.

12 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I think clubs must just be offered players last minute sometimes and managers/clubs just take a punt on them.

Maybe they have some room in the wage budget, do a quick bit of research and say yeah let's go for it.

Only thing that makes sense regarding players like Salifou, Bowery, Ilori etc
I can't really believe that a scouting team would have scouted Jordan Bowery for weeks/months and decided we needed to sign him.

I think I read Bowery's dad is a coach and is/was friends with Lambert's back room team. 

Whole think stank to high heaven tbh.

13 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Oh wow, I completely forgot about that Spanish defender. Perfect for this thread.

What even was his name again? I remember him having a wicked attacking players name...I wanna say Crespo or Angel

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Oh wow, I completely forgot about that Spanish defender. Perfect for this thread.

What even was his name again? I remember him having a wicked attacking players name...I wanna say Crespo or Angel

Yeah, Crespo. Maybe Jose Luis Crespo? I think it had three parts anyway. 

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yeah, Crespo. Maybe Jose Luis Crespo? I think it had three parts anyway. 

Wasn’t it Jose Angel Crespo?

Edit - Yes it was. Now plays for PAOK! Wiki says he played 1 game for us in 15/16. 

Edited by villan-scott
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, villan-scott said:

Wasn’t it Jose Angel Crespo?

Edit - Yes it was. Now plays for PAOK! Wiki says he played 1 game for us in 15/16. 

That's the chap. Wasn't there something mad about him, like he'd been relegated four consecutive seasons in a row from La Liga or something?

17 hours ago, Zatman said:

Dont forget Tiago Ilori

One thing I will say, is that while Ilori was very very obviously nowhere near ready to be a starter at a Premier League team (and is currently a starter for a team desperately trying not to be relegated to League One), he was quite a highly-rated youngster at Liverpool, so it maybe wasn't completely *inexplicable* that we would be interested. He clearly wasn't ready to start in the PL though. 

• 1 month later...

Aruna Dindane.

Bonaventure Kalou. 

Steve Gohouri. 

Abdoulaye Meite. 

One of them is the elected mayor of Vavoua, a city of 130,00 people. Which one?

Spoiler

It's Bonaventure Kalou. 

Spoiler

If you're wondering about the others (I know I was!), Dindane is in charge of the Ivorian Footballers Association, Steve Gohouri sadly passed away (in seemingly mysterious circumstances?) in Germany in 2015, and Meite was last seen not playing professional football for a team in Andorra in 2017). 

Edited by HanoiVillan

51 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Portsmouth last few seasons in top flight had some blink and you miss players like Dindane

John Utaka

Piquionne or however you spelt it. THen managed to wrangle 40k a week out of West Ham

These lads had the best agents in world football.

• Like 1

Â