Players you've completely forgotten about

VillaChris

He was a quality player and probably unlucky to be in his peak 2 or 3 years before Spain really clicked as a national team. Him and Vicente was as fearsome a wide partnership as any team about

sadly Vicente was made of glass so bad he ended up at Brighton when they were struggling Championship team

• Like 3

Joaquin was spectacular from 2001-2005, those were unquestionably his best years, very quick, very explosive but with end product. His last season at Betis wasn't as good and he really wasn't very good at Valencia despite his big money move there. He appeared to lose some pace around 2005/06. 

He seems to have reinvented himself in a more central role at an advanced age, he has done well in his second stint at Betis.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

On 08/11/2018 at 20:54, Zatman said:

He was a quality player and probably unlucky to be in his peak 2 or 3 years before Spain really clicked as a national team. Him and Vicente was as fearsome a wide partnership as any team about

sadly Vicente was made of glass so bad he ended up at Brighton when they were struggling Championship team

Joaquin was great at 2002 WC, was only actually 20 then. He was young enough to still play for Spain in their 2010-14 peak but I believe he criticised Luis Aragones after WC 2006 and stopped getting called up.

Surprised me no major clubs ever signed him, Real Madrid and Chelsea were linked with him from his first spell at Betis. He was better imo than Jose Reyes who did get the big moves but couldn't quite step up at those clubs.

31 minutes ago, Zatman said:

not a player but a team in Rushden and Diamonds, they must have been close to Championship before dropping down the leagues altogether

yep, them and harriers battling for promotion at the top of the conference seems like a long time ago

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

not a player but a team in Rushden and Diamonds, they must have been close to Championship before dropping down the leagues altogether

Max Griggs (founder of Doc Martens) basically bankrolled them up to I think play off zone of league one (equivilant of Fleetwood today) but he decided to sell up and that was the end of that.

They had a nice ground aswell. Think a phoenix club has recently sprung up.

• 2 weeks later...

The car crash that is Dickson Etuhu (ex Man C, Fulham, Norwich. AIK...)  keeps spinning more and more out of control.

after getting in a fist fight with some guards at a night club in Stockholm back in 2015 and shouting "don't you know who I am, I'm **** famous" but being found not guilty he's now going on trial for match fixing allegations in Sweden.

He just come off like a prime bell end with delusions of grandeur 

For 18 months, he has been known as "the former AIK player" and avoided talking publicly about what it's like to be named matchfixer. Now, Dickson Etuhu is emerging in Dagens Nyheter to give his image and to tell him how the accusations hit him.

"My reputation is completely destroyed. They have taken away from me as I built for 20 years, he says. 

It is one week left until the trial of the Stockholm District Court when Dickson Etuhu receives his attorney Johan Åkermark's office at Kungsholmen in Stockholm. On Thursday, the 36-year-old and a good friend are sentenced to justice for allegedly attempting to defeat AIK goalkeeper Kenny Stamatopoulos in Sweden's most discussed case of suspected match fixation.

Etuhu is casually dressed, wearing glasses and his characteristic dreadlocks hang out under the cap from the exclusive Italian jeans company. He looks slightly thinner compared to the time he was a powerful defensive midfielder in the Premiership, Nigeria's national team and in AIK, and he thinks he's barely training. Apart from some single training pass and matches with Skåne Division 6 club IFK Rössjöholm, he has not been able to think of soccer. He can not even follow games on television anymore. 

The suspicion that he would be a match fixer who tried to bribe an old mate and teammate has caused Etuhu to lose all the football interests and also made him more or less blacklisted in his work as an agent. He says that the allegations are also the direct reason that he and his fiancee separated and that she and their children no longer live with him. For several months he was in a depression, which made him search for psychologist for the first time in his life.

- I really wanted to do it. I felt so weak and so disappointed in myself because I let all this affect me so much. Because it has really affected everything. The football has been my life and my future, he says.

The reason for the misery is described in the more than 460 pages of thick preamble that lies in front of him at the law office's table. Here it was investigated what happened during that visit to a restaurant in Stockholm on May 16 last year, Etuhu made with his 37-year-old friend from Skåne, also his former elite player, and the conversation they had with Stamatopoulos. The call prompted the AIK goalkeeper to report that he had been subjected to a mutilation attempt, which in turn led AIK to report the incident and chamber prosecutor Johan Lindmark to prosecute Etuhu and the 37-year-old for gross misconduct in September this year.

Words are against words and Etuhu feels condemned in advance because he thinks everyone seems to trust Stamatopoulos version.

- They even awarded him a prize (The Football Channel's award 2017 as "The Voice of the Year") because of this - and before the case was settled in court. How is it possible and what happens if it turns out that he is wrong? Will they take back the price then? To me it is quite obvious that you want a convicting sentence.

Do you mean there is a political motive for the Swedish Football Association to report that they want to show that they act in the fight against match fixation?

- About that. They need a high-profile case and then they turn to me.

In addition to Stamatopoulo's testimony, there is not much to add in the case. At the same time, the entire origin of the meeting is taken from the match-fixing schoolbook: a former teammate who takes first contact and then together with a gambler who plays for millions of millions, seeks a goalkeeper who is at the end of his career. 

Etuhu says that he can understand this reasoning but believes that it only gives one side of the case and that in order to understand the whole picture it must have been in place and heard the conversation that took place.

"I respect everyone's opinion, but facts remain: this never happened. That's a sneak peek. Absolutely crazy. Absolutely, absolute skitsnack. It's unbelievable that a regular conversation with a friend can lead to something like this and it makes me so angry.

Several times during the interview, he apologizes for letting his feelings go out and explaining that he has a lot of anger burst within himself. For example, it takes six months before he was allowed to come to the police and tell his story, something he tried to do immediately after the suspicions arose. Etuhu is critical of the police's work and says that if he really wanted to know if he and his mate tried to rig the match, why did not they ask Stamatopoulos to pretend to bet on the bite to get evidence.

"That's what any police should have done. If they are so hundred percent safe, why do not they?

At the same time, he said he was surprised that the investigators sought help from the American FBI to see if reading through the surveillance images from the restaurant could determine whether it was a mutilation attempt. This proved impossible.

But for what reason would Kenny Stamatopoulos dictate such a story and put it to a friend? 

Etuhu says he has his suspicions, but he does not intend to disclose them.

"But I can say that makes me sad, because I thought I had a good relationship with him. We have shared rooms on trips and used to have a coffee every time I came to Stockholm.

So what happened that afternoon?

- Honestly, I can not go into details. You must wait until the trial.

Have you ever come into contact with match fix earlier?

- No, I was totally ignorant of it and had barely heard of it before this happened. What has happened has opened my eyes.

But honestly, you must have read about it in the newspapers.

- As a professional football player, you do not read newspapers. With all due respect, it is spreading a lot of lies. I do not know if you can call it naivety, but I was very ignorant of this with match fixation until it ruined my life.

But according to the interrogations held by the police, it is obvious that you have talked about match fixing at the restaurant. Do you regret that there was a conversation topic at the lunch table?

- I regret nothing because I have not done anything wrong.

Etuhu tells him that, besides meeting Stamatopoulos, he traveled to Stockholm to leave keys to a friend, retrieve tires and even meet another person. At the meetings with Stamatopoulos he used to get information about AIK and ask which players he thinks is good. At this time, Etuhu had two, three African players whom he thought could be interesting for the Swedish market.

NN (37-year-old) describes him as a good friend.

"We met many years ago through common friends when he played in England and our friendship has grown over the years.

Why did he go with you to Stockholm?

Etuhu turns to his lawyer and asks if he can answer the question.

- These are questions for the court, but okay, I'll answer. He brings me to Stockholm sometimes and shopping for example. I do not like driving all the way myself. This was not the first time he went along, but something quite normal.

NN is a great player. He has played for four million kronor in recent years and lost big sums. How do you look at it?

"NN's playing is nothing I'm involved in." We're not talking about games because he knows I do not like it. I know he has played, but he never plays when he's with me.

The preliminary investigation shows that you and NN before and after this event transfer relatively large amounts of money between your bank accounts. What can you tell me about that?

- I can not talk about it. But come on. . . We are friends, why would not we be able to borrow each other's money? They try to get this into something, when in fact something is normal.

During a search in your home, the police found a business card from an organization that works against game addiction. Do you have gambling problems?

- Frankly, I have never seen that card before and do not know how it got into my car. Maybe someone gave it to me. I get a lot of business cards. I have no game addiction. I do not know anything about games, I've never played in my entire life. The police have looked up this and if I had a problem with gambling, it would have left track. 

Could it be NN who put the card there?

- I do not know, I just know it's not mine.

Dickson Etuhu, who has been past in clubs like Manchester City, Sunderland and Fulham, was allowed to leave AIK after the 2016 season - even though he and sports director Björn Wesström were close to each other - so close that they even went on vacation together. According to Etuhu, the relationship with coach Rikard Norling was more frosty. He calls Norling for a top soccer coach, then describing him as an uncertain and arrogant control freak, who did not tolerate a strong person like Dickson in the locker room.

So wondering what feelings Etuhu saw AIK win the all-Sweden gold earlier this month - a club whose leadership urged their players to have no contact with their former team-mate after the event last spring. Etuhu says it has no meaning.

"I was very happy when they won and I always thought that AIK did not win as much as they should. AIK is a great club that I love. And I am very pleased with Björn's (Wesström) sake. We have not spoken since all this happened and I have respect that he can not do it. Björn is a good guy.

After completing the career in AIK , Etuhu saw a future as an agent in front of him. In April 2017, a short month before the restaurant visit that changed everything, he founded the agent company DE20 AB. To the company's account soon came close to a million, money related to consulting fees associated with AIK player Alexander Isak's attention to the giant transfer to Dortmund. Half of the money then ended up at Etuhus's personal account and half of the 37-year-old friend.

Can you tell me how you were involved in the transition?

- No not really. Isak is a fantastic player and I just showed the way for him. At that time, I still played and could not be an agent.

Tell us about your work as an agent.

"I do not see myself as an agent but more like someone who helps players in the right direction. Ever since I was 20 years old, I was told that I would become an agent. I have always been a popular guy and I have helped many. I have always felt at home in all camps, so it was in AIK, I ate lunch with everyone and it made me contact with many players. 

In the preliminary investigation, there is a text message to you from the big agent Vlado Lemic, who was behind the Isakaffären, where he announces his acquaintance with you because of the match fixation thoughts.

- I respect it. During this time, many people I've built a relationship to in the football have heard of themselves saying that they like me, but also that what's happening is not good for them either. I can understand that.

Do you think you can come back to the agent job?

- In Sweden no, but in Britain, where people feel, yes. I'm optimistic about it, just the trial gets ready.

Will you stay in Skåne?

- I have my two daughters here and they mean everything to me. Therefore, I will remain.

Eight years ago, you played the World Cup for Nigeria, you had 14 successful seasons in English top football and now you are here waiting for a trial. How does it feel?

"I do not want people to feel sorry for me, I do not feel sorry for myself. I'm just angry because I did not get my picture and that everyone is walking around and having an idea and talking about something they do not know about. It feels like everyone wants me to lose and I do not understand why.

How do you feel about all the attention that the trial is expected to create?

- No problem. I did not want the prosecutor to put down the case because people would just keep their mind ready. I want to speak openly and win the case. The closer we got to the trial, the better it felt.

If you win, will you be able to feel clean?

"Probably not, because people will still talk, but I'll be able to start building my life again, and that's what I'm going to do," says Dickson Etuhu, and finally goes on to photograph, but does not want his face in focus.

The trial is going on in one day. Both of the defendants deny crimes.

https://www.dn.se/sport/fotboll/mutbrottsatalade-ex-aikaren-trader-fram-mitt-rykte-ar-forstort/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yaya Toure just got sacked from Olympiacos in Greece after only 5 games having been utterly crap and subbed in all 5 games.

I imagine he and his agent still think he is the best player in the world and I assume he'll be off to Turkey, China or West Ham next.

On 13/11/2018 at 20:13, Zatman said:

On 13/11/2018 at 22:19, VillaChris said:

Max Griggs (founder of Doc Martens) basically bankrolled them up to I think play off zone of league one (equivilant of Fleetwood today) but he decided to sell up and that was the end of that.

They had a nice ground aswell. Think a phoenix club has recently sprung up.

Great little club formed and founded in 1992 by Max Griggs comprising of Rushden Town & Irthlingborough Diamonds.

They played at Nene Park in Rushden under a magnificent stadium for non league football standards of that era.

Nenepark.jpg

They had very high standard facilities and even had the Diamond Centre which hosted many snooker tournaments over the years featuring Ronnie O'Sullivan, Peter Ebden, and also local boy Shaun Murphy.

The other side of the stadium sat the Doc Martens factory.

As stated by @VillaChris Max Griggs bankrolled them as far as he could (top of league 1) but didn't want to keep going as it was becoming too much £££ and evetually decided to sell the club and move the Doc Martens operation abroad.

Sadly, a buyer was never found to kick them onto the next level of football and the club began it's demise.

The team eventually went into liquidation and were evicted from Nene Park.

It folded some years ago and have since reformed as AFC Rusden & Diamonds playing their trade ground sharing up until last year.

Once bitter rivals, Kettering Town briefly occupied the stadium for season around 10 years ago after being ejected out of their own ground, but this seemed a cursed move having never winning at game there whilst using the stadium as their temporary home.

The stadium at Nene Park was sadly demolished a few years ago.

Nene-Park.jpg

Screen-Shot-2018-04-21-at-11.55.50.png

:(

• Sad 4

Â