Players you've completely forgotten about

VillaChris

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Chris Perry 😀 Etherington was a decent winger though think he had gambling issurs

Chris Perry it is. :)

I remember Etherington being decent at FM too, but never saw him actually play many times. Wham, wasn't it?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pelle said:

There are quite a few professional football players with gambling problems. My guess is too much money and too much free time and the need for excitement.

Footballera live in a bubble too, finish training about 2pm and got nothing else to do for the day 

Its quite boring so gambling is probably as exciting as can get

10 hours ago, villa4europe said:

There was a rumour at the time west ham agreed to the stoke deal as the signing on fee would settle his gambling debts which was causing him personal problems

I heard that as well. 

Michael Chopra was another. I think he said he only joined Sunderland as he needed the signing on fee to put against his debts

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Footballera live in a bubble too, finish training about 2pm and got nothing else to do for the day 

Its quite boring so gambling is probably as exciting as can get

I know what you mean. I've had nothing to do today (hangover) and found myself putting £1 on the Grand National. 

Slippery slope...

I'm sure the england national team used to have a big big card playing group, Michael Owen definitely a key member, can imagine when you are away in eastern Europe stuck in a hotel and the cards come out...And then a guy on £200k a week starts goading you...could easily get silly

18 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Javier Portillo the first and probably most unsuccessful of the new Raul's at Real Madrid 

Michael Portillo's Spanish lovechild was never going to succeed. He didn't stand a chance. 

23 hours ago, Xela said:

I heard that as well. 

Michael Chopra was another. I think he said he only joined Sunderland as he needed the signing on fee to put against his debts

West ham gave etherington 300k towards his 850k gambling debt, its not rumour he admitted it, think he said during his career he lost £1.5million on gambling

I remember Chopra saying something like he only carried on playing football to pay for his gambling problem.

Kieth Gillespie, ex newcastle said in his book he lost allhis career earnings on gambling, over 7million I think he said in his book which is worth a read

Watching the 'celebrity' version of SAS Who Dares Wins, and was surprised to see Wayne Bridge there. Not only had I completely forgotten about him, I also barely recognised him. Retirement has not been kind to him - he's aged about 20 years in 5.

Danny Drinkwater has been arrested on suspected drunk driving after crashing his car last night.

Once again, why do these people not take a cab or have someone drive them home?

At least he get's some press from this so we know he's still alive. League champion and England international not that long ago...

• Like 1

Was bored so I did a spreadsheet of every Villa player over the last 10 years I've seen play in person (I can normally only get to around 5/6 games a season). Anyway, there were some complete randomers I'd totally forgotten about:

- Jean Makoun

- Robert Pires

- Brett Holman

- Enda Stevens

- Grant Holt

- Nicklas Helenius

3 hours ago, Mantis said:

Was bored so I did a spreadsheet of every Villa player over the last 10 years I've seen play in person (I can normally only get to around 5/6 games a season). Anyway, there were some complete randomers I'd totally forgotten about:

- Jean Makoun

- Robert Pires

- Brett Holman

- Enda Stevens

- Grant Holt

- Nicklas Helenius

Jean Deux gave us one of the best midfield performances I've seen away at United. Also that jumper alone was enough to remember him.

Enda Stevens was such a weird one, signed by McLeish in the middle of the season from Cork I think then joined the next season and didn't do anything. Very pleasantly surprised to see him doing well for himself at Sheffield United now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mantis said:

- Jean Makoun

- Robert Pires

- Brett Holman

- Enda Stevens

- Grant Holt

- Nicklas Helenius

My 1st game at Villa Park Eirik Bakke started 😂

Aaron Hughes as well but thats more a player you forgot played for Villa than in general

Â