Players you've completely forgotten about

VillaChris

35 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Why the **** was it demo'd? Surely they could have ground shared or sold it or something? That's tragic.

Exactly. What a f***ing waste.

I remember going there to watch some games in their Vauxhall Conference days and I remember one season Newcastle Utd playing there in a friendly bringing quite a few decent players too, Hislop, Ginola etc. And also an Arsenal XI happened one year as well.

Sadly, as the club grew and climbed the leagues it kept upgrading the facility's along the way and the bigger stand of the 4 was built for the stadium to qualify for football league standards once they knew they would be getting promoted into division 3 (league 2 equivalent at the time.)

They won that and where a boot in the arse from making it to the championship.

Now at their peak at this point as a football club Griggs realised he couldn't build them any bigger anymore than he had whilst realising he didn't want to keep bank rolling the club at that level either.

Once he left and a buyer was not suitably found, the club seemed to self destruct and eventually faced consequences for this after all their decent players where sold just to keep the costs of the club afloat.

As they trickled back down the leagues it became apparant that the stadium was now too big for the stature of the club and where it was league wise and running it was far too expensive, unable to find a suitable buyer they went into liquidation.

They where not allowed back into the stadium once reformed combined with the running costs.

As I say, Kettering pitched up there for a season or two but swiftly departed once it became apparant it was just not working results wise and finacially.

By the time kettering had moved into the ground it had gone into bad condition by this stage.

_66398778_154979896.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

AFC Rushden & Diamonds where formed by the Pheonix Group but could not get back into the stadium by this point.

Sitting derelict for so long eventually the land was sold off and the demolition team moved in to make way for developers. No doubt it will either become warehouses or offices eventually.

The old training facilitys still exist and are used as a childs nursery nowadays while the old training pitches are used parking spaces for Sunday Carbooters 

Again. What a waste!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 14/12/2018 at 04:50, AvfcRigo82 said:

Joey Gudjonsson - from the Graham Taylor MKII era.

Played in the SHA derby when Dion nutted Savage.

He was shite. Think his dad played in the midlands in the 70's so he had family connections in football.

10 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Played in the SHA derby when Dion nutted Savage.

He was shite. Think his dad played in the midlands in the 70's so he had family connections in football.

didnt he score a couple of screamers?

and looking him up his team IA won the icelandic 2nd division last season

our ex players seem to be making some decent managers right now, ironic given our lack of one for so long

On 14/12/2018 at 09:50, AvfcRigo82 said:

Joey Gudjonsson - from the Graham Taylor MKII era.

seeing him with Mark kinsella and oyvind leonhardson in our our midfield was a something I'll sit and tell the grandkids about

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

seeing him with Mark kinsella and oyvind leonhardson in our our midfield was a something I'll sit and tell the grandkids about

I'd focus on the Gregory years.

GTII era was quite depressing looking back, mind you, so has the last 8 years or more being a Villa fan. 😂 :thumb:

5 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

I am sure we played a Uefa Cup midfield of Salifou, Osbourne and Sidwell 

Ah Salifou, the man, the mystery (e.g. how on earth he kept on getting awarded 1 year deals just because he had a catchy chant).

Who did he play for after leaving us or did he just retire as pretty sure someone said he wasn't far off earning 20k a week with all the contracts.

55 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Who did he play for after leaving us or did he just retire as pretty sure someone said he wasn't far off earning 20k a week with all the contracts.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/04/26/remember-moustapha-salifou-the-cult-icon-has-spoken-about-aston/

Now the Aston Villa cult hero is playing his football for German sixth tier side Turkspor Augsburg, after stints with Saarbrucken and 1860 Rosenhelm.

9 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Ah Salifou, the man, the mystery (e.g. how on earth he kept on getting awarded 1 year deals just because he had a catchy chant).

The original Salifou Syndrome.

The amount of VTers clamouring for Salifou to get in the team because he was so amazing was remarkable. The longer he was out of the team the better he got.

Unsurprisingly when he finally got his chance he was shit.

Edit: Wikipedia says he made 4 appearance for us, and has made a whole 22 appearances since leaving us 7 years ago.

Edited by Stevo985

10 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Genuinely one of the strangest signings ever. He must have had some massive dirt of the manager and owners! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

The original Salifou Syndrome.

The amount of VTers clamouring for Salifou to get in the team because he was so amazing was remarkable. The longer he was out of the team the better he got.

Unsurprisingly when he finally got his chance he was shit.

Edit: Wikipedia says he made 4 appearance for us, and has made a whole 22 appearances since leaving us 7 years ago.

I'm not sure about that one Stevo, I think the vast majority of people took Salifou for what he was - a strange, cult signing.

I know on the rare occasions I got to see him play it was exciting precisely because most of us knew/thought he was actually pretty shite, there was a weird appreciation for every little thing he did.

Of course, finishing 6th in the PL 3 years on the bounce and being on the verge of being the next great thing in English football made it easier to accept these kind of things, sadly, Salifou-calibre players became our norm and not our exception over time.

Edit - there were plenty of others though, for me it started with Reo-Coker and will also be known to me as the NRC syndrome.

Edited by bannedfromHandV

Â