Defence

sexbelowsound

So it's just not us that see it.

This Steve Bruce decision has left a Championship pundit stunned

Aston Villa's defensive frailties were there for all to see on Saturday at Sheffield United

Championship pundit Dean Ashton has outlined his disbelief at Aston Villa’s decision to allow Tommy Elphick to leave for Hull City without any sufficient cover.

Villa were put to the sword by Sheffield United on Saturday, losing 4-1 at Bramall Lane to highlight the claret and blues’ defensive problems.

Elphick, who was the club’s first signing after they were relegated from the Premier League in 2016, played and scored in the 3-1 win against the Tigers in the opening game of the season, but was then left out of the starting XI in the league fixtures that followed.

Midfielder Mile Jedinak has slotted in alongside regular James Chester in those matches, but Villa have been leaky; they conceded two goals to Wigan and Brentford before the four from the Blades this last weekend.

Having lost John Terry at the end of his contract this summer, Villa were already one defender short at the beginning of the window.

Steve Bruce re-signed the versatile Axel Tuanzebe on loan, but Chris Samba has left the club and Easah Suliman has been loaned out.

It leaves Chester, Jedinak, Tuanzebe and James Bree as players who can play at the heart of defence, following Villa’s failure to land Harold Moukoudi on loan from Le Havre.

Ashton, the former Crewe, Norwich and West Ham striker, was offering analysis for Championship highlights channel Quest at the weekend.

He couldn’t understand the sanctioning of Elphick’s exit.

Too little, too late - the reasons why Aston Villa failed with their Scott McKenna bid

“It amazes me that they’ve left themselves so short,” Ashton told Colin Murray.

“Obviously Jedinak has come in and played and has been really, really poor. Saturday especially showed that there wasn’t that link between him and Chester.

“Who are the players that are coming in when that’s not working?

“They allowed Tommy Elphick to go to Hull, which amazed me, especially someone with his experience.

“Then you’re asking a young player in Tuanzebe to become your main centre-back, or full-back. You’re asking a hell of a lot to not have the cover - which Aston Villa haven’t got.”

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steve-bruce-decision-left-championship-15105554

I don't really care about the Elphick to Hull bit. He's shit anyway.

But the failure to sign a recognised CB is astonishing to me. Especially for a manager who usually puts so much importance in his defence.

People have talked about whether Bruce is or isn't in charge of signings. For me this is the biggest indication that he isn't.

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

People have talked about whether Bruce is or isn't in charge of signings. For me this is the biggest indication that he isn't.

I don't see why you would interpret it that way. I mean last season we had only one left back (and lots of right backs) and no one said  "oh that Steve Bruce can't be in charge of transfers".

Perhaps he's just a bit absent minded when it comes to these things "Now I was gonna buy something, damn! can't remember what it was..."something back" I think...hmmm, lef...no...cent....no, ah sod it, I'll just get someone who can go at right back, what could possibly go wrong?"

Still have a nagging feeling he is gambling the teams success against the owners allowing him to bring back Terry when no other options are there.

Sure there were links to CB's on deadline day, but that's leaving it too late even if Elphick was not loaned out.

Honestly have him as a bit of a petulant self serving ego and can easily see him doing something like that.

Also cant stand his little soft spoken, underdog act at the post game interviews. It's all so calculated and rehearsed.

Now most managers have this in some way or another so it's nothing out of the ordinary. I just don't buy into this "nice guy" label he has.

I think he knows exactly what he is doing, shifting blame, pretending to be unfairly treated and taking swings against fans being unreasonable.  Bringing up the 4 promotions at this time really shows he's feeling the pressure.

9 minutes ago, blandy said:

I don't see why you would interpret it that way. I mean last season we had only one left back (and lots of right backs) and no one said  "oh that Steve Bruce can't be in charge of transfers".

Perhaps he's just a bit absent minded when it comes to these things "Now I was gonna buy something, damn! can't remember what it was..."something back" I think...hmmm, lef...no...cent....no, ah sod it, I'll just get someone who can go at right back, what could possibly go wrong?"

To clarify, I actually don't believe that Bruce isn't in charge of transfers. But if people are looking for signs that he isn't this is the biggest one yet (you know, as opposed to "that guy is foreign, no way would Bruce sign him" which seems to be enough for some people)

Having one recognised LB with a couple of players who can provide adequate cover is much different than having one recognised CB

26 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

People have talked about whether Bruce is or isn't in charge of signings. For me this is the biggest indication that he isn't

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I actually don't believe that Bruce isn't in charge of transfers.

That's a big 180 degree "clarification" :P

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Having one recognised LB with a couple of players who can provide adequate cover is much different than having one recognised CB

Yeah it's more serious, sure. And he's down to so few due to not just to not recruiting, but also to letting what we had go. It's bonkers mad if we want to challenge for promotion. TBH it's likely to see us miles away from challenging. He's away with the fairies on this.

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

That's a big 180 degree "clarification" :P

It’s not. I’ve been very consistent in that I don’t believe the “Bruce isn’t in charge of transfers” nonsense. It’s just a line used by people who don’t want to give him any credit for signings. 

Funnily enough that train of thought has gone very quiet now things are going badly. 

He’s as culpable for our transfers (or lack of) as any other manager is for their club’s. I blame him entirely for our lack of a CB.

If this has been posted elsewhere on here then apologies. 

Just spotted this slightly odd one about JT:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/john-terry-aston-villa-return-15106225

Former captain John Terry appears to have dropped a very clear hint that he’d be up for a sensational return to Aston Villa.

Presumably JT has watched the same defensive frailties as the rest of us and, perhaps, thinks that this might his way into management if and when Bruce gets the chop.

29 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/john-terry-aston-villa-return-15106225

Presumably JT has watched the same defensive frailties as the rest of us and, perhaps, thinks that this might his way into management if and when Bruce gets the chop.

If John terry came back. I would love it  I would bloody love it 

• Like 1

He's nearly 38 and hasn't played a game of football in any real sense in about 3 months, he is going to be so far behind the pace it will be laughable....and I just don't see Bruce chucking the start of the season in the bin so he can get his man when all options are closed. Bruce has **** up, there is nothing more than that to it.

51 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Is that his genuine twitter account (do they not normally have a tick next to the name or something?)

20 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

He's nearly 38 and hasn't played a game of football in any real sense in about 3 months, he is going to be so far behind the pace it will be laughable....and I just don't see Bruce chucking the start of the season in the bin so he can get his man when all options are closed. Bruce has **** up, there is nothing more than that to it.

I am not so sure

His instabook account seems to be full of coverage of his long runs, lung busting sessions on rowing machines and other fitness activities.  I suspect he keeps himself in better shape than some players are during the season.

It's a small thing but his last post about his family holiday in Portugal ending contained a number of hearts which were claret and blue in colour.  Maybe nothing but it seems an odd choice to deliberately go for that colour scheme.  Hidden message?

1 hour ago, sne said:

As I've said I think this was the play all along.

And I'd be fine with it now.

As long as the salary is low and Bruce is sent packing.

It's an incredible, unnecessary, neglectful gamble to take if this is the case. 

Given the state we're in now I'd have JT straight back.  Not least for leadership that is so obviously lacking*, and his influence on Jack and Tammy*.  If he could nurture Axel* into the role to rotate with him so much the better.

* It becoming obvious that Bruce is seemingly unable to do these things.

Â