Defence

sexbelowsound

I dont think it is a choice.  I'd love JT back but even if I wasnt a big fan, looking at our defence and our options there then this is a no brainer.  Get him back here otherwise we are going to be definitely shipping goals all season with the defensive players we have.  At least with him we may have a chance of that not being the case even if he's only half fit for a month.  A half fit JT is better than what we have at the moment.

• Like 3

Of all the benefits Terry brought, what I enjoyed most was seeing us pass the ball out from the back and the end of hoofball for a while. He was an excellent partner for Chester.

We actually started seeing some build up play for the first time in yonks!

With the state we’re in, I would definitely welcome him back and he would, again, provide some guidance and inspiration to the other players. Tuanzebe would certainly benefit. 

It’s really Bruce’s responsibility but he is just coming across as inept. I’d just rather have him replaced and a new manager bring a different approach entirely.

• Like 2

I think we have had a problem with the centre of Defence for too long now.

We have needed 2 young capable centre halves for some time.

In the position we are in right now, i would favour bringing in John Terry, but i think we have become a hostage to fortune.

Chester for me, is not dominant enough ( particularly in the air) for this league, he lacks height and pace to dominate opposing forwards.

JT is an undoubtedly a good organiser, but more of a sweeper for me and not exactly dominant either,......i think we have positioned ourselves to the degree, we need him right now....despite his age and pace.....However opposing managers would target this weakness.

Moving forward, some joined up thinking needs to be applied to these crucial positions.

We are badly in need of 2 young credible centre halves.

• Like 3

Terry not coming according to the usual twitter in the know

If we don't sign a defender I literally think brew needs to be given the time to cut his teeth in the first team rather than an over 30, over the hill jedniak being given the games to convert to the role.

Brew might not be ready to be 1st choice centre back, but he never will be without games... yes it would be a baptism of fire but if he grasps his opportunity it could pay off

What I don't get is why on earth are we leaving it this late as a club to get the best guy for the job of sorting the defence out.

I'm sorry but the options are limited, surely the owners, bruce and whoever else is having a say up the top can see this, I must say I am not impressed at all.

It is not like we can go out and go and buy whoever we want due to FFP and the fact windows are closed.

To let Terry slip through our grasp is just plain and utter stupidness to be honest, I know the owners want younger in the team, but at the moment isn't stability a better option considering we have next to no option. To me it's like the owners are reaching for a goal that at this moment in time is impossible to achieve, so Terry needs to be here at Villa.

Frustrating as hell and I can understand why all of you are so furiated with this mess, because it should of never happened or got to this point.

By the time the January window comes, it will be to late to play catch up. If I knew for sure Bruce planned all this out, to push the owners to get Terry back, i would not be impressed as much as you all. In fact he would go down in history as my most hated manager of all time, all because he screwed Aston Villa's defence for a season, when really he should of planned ahead.

I do think FFP is playing more of a part in this than we are thinking. There simply has to be a limit on what we can do at this moment in time and i think maybe the owners had their hands tied and could not offer Terry what he was on last season... he's waited to see what else came in and we were blown to pieces by the Russian offer. Terry has then gone as it will basically set him & his family up for the sake of 1 part year in Russia.... Although i do think he would have loved to have come here had it been possible hence his Instagram posts etc.  This would explain the " will do whats best for my family" and the fact he spent extra time with the kids etc... He knew he wouldn't see them that much for several months maybe?

Anyhow that ship has clearly sailed and you can't blame Terry as it''s possibly his last year as a player and chance for crazy money. (3m tax free after all!)

So now linked to Huth or Collins, either would help but neither have the qualities of JT. A stop gap to Jan may be the best we can hope for right now though and in fairness the owners /Bruce did say they would not be able to sort everything all at once. This defensive calamity is clearly the area they were referring to!

I don't understand why De Laet is not being given an opportunity to show what he can do in the CB position. He has experience playing there in the Premier League but just seems to be another one of those players Bruce has decided doesn't deserve a look in. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ponky said:

I don't understand why De Laet is not being given an opportunity to show what he can do in the CB position. He has experience playing there in the Premier League but just seems to be another one of those players Bruce has decided doesn't deserve a look in. 

I don't understand why he isn't being given an opportunity full stop.

• Like 2

John Terry and James Chester was the box office names for centre halves in this league.

both have been international class players. fine players to have in your squad.

The bit that I don't quite get is, there have been many partnerships in this league this season and last....players WE would probably turn our noses up at.....yet have gone on to do a sterling job.....players our forwards have struggled to overcome.....yet not good enough for us?

my question is......are we really any good at spotting talent and turning it in to effect on a matchday.

• Like 2

Just waiting for the injury or suspension on Chester so we can finally play the fated back 4 of:

Tuanzebe - Bree - Jedi - Hutton

• Sad 1

On 11/09/2018 at 05:06, TRO said:

are we really any good at spotting talent and turning it in to effect on a matchday.

This is something that has concerned me under Bruce.

If he didn't have the kind of money we do, and he has a history of being afforded quite significant amounts for transfers, I think he has an eye for talent but a lack for the latter, which is the all important really.

Maybe you meant Aston Villa, rather than Bruce, I said Bruce because that's where we're at now.

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

1st clean sheet of season in the league? 

We have conceded too many goals this season but hope this is start of building block

Unsurprisingly it came from playing as close to last season's back 4 as we could get. In fact that back four did play several times last season and performed well.

I think we need to stick with it, with the possible bedding in of Tuanzebe next to Chester and hope he improves.

The fullbacks should be set now. Wingers are getting fit enough to not need Elmo to fill in so he can stay. Hutton can stay at LB where he's best.

Don't know if its just me as I sit in the Trinity, but its been very noticeable this season that we are keeping a very high line when defencing set plays.

Weather that's the new GK influence or we are trying to mitigate the tall opposition players (Like last night), I don't know. Is it just me?

Â