2015 Takeover Thread

samjp26

Well someone has exclusivity hippo, so it is very much 'on'.  Exclusivity lasts 6 weeks but they don't necessarily need all 6 weeks to make their minds up.  According to an earlier post, absolute best case is 2 weeks.  Whether they buy or not is still up in the air.  Let's hope due diligence doesn't unearth any surprises.

Is the exclusivity definate ...or just a rumour ?

Well someone has exclusivity hippo, so it is very much 'on'.  Exclusivity lasts 6 weeks but they don't necessarily need all 6 weeks to make their minds up.  According to an earlier post, absolute best case is 2 weeks.  Whether they buy or not is still up in the air.  Let's hope due diligence doesn't unearth any surprises.

I'd say it's too widely spread to be a rumour. I would say it was probably leaked by the club because these things are generally very secretive and you wouldn't find out unless they wanted you to.

Having worked on a few due diligence matters in the past, it's very hard to say how long it'll last because it depends on what they uncover and how far they want to investigate. It can't last too long though because there will be restrictions on the operation of the club during that period and it can get expensive.

It is a big deal though because generally the exclusivity will form part of a heads of terms that will have been signed thrashing out the skeleton details of the sale/purchase of the club and parts of it will be legally binding already. Of course it depends what is uncovered, but generally speaking if all is well (and I suspect everything probably is all well), the sale will go through.

• Like 1

I'd say it's too widely spread to be a rumour. I would say it was probably leaked by the club because these things are generally very secretive and you wouldn't find out unless they wanted you to.

Having worked on a few due diligence matters in the past, it's very hard to say how long it'll last because it depends on what they uncover and how far they want to investigate. It can't last too long though because there will be restrictions on the operation of the club during that period and it can get expensive.

It is a big deal though because generally the exclusivity will form part of a heads of terms that will have been signed thrashing out the skeleton details of the sale/purchase of the club and parts of it will be legally binding already. Of course it depends what is uncovered, but generally speaking if all is well (and I suspect everything probably is all well), the sale will go through.

when a company I worked for under went due diligence we put loads of empty spare part boxes in our stock room to increase the value of the company as the auditors didn't open every single box  .. anyone think Villa are going to stick some of the canteen staff in villa kits and try and pass them off as players   ..oh wait we've got N'Zogbia for that

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 4

I would hope that the club is in good order and ready for due diligence since it's been on the market for quite some time. If I was selling I'd get everything in order and have the processes in place to keep it that way so when a buyer comes along, it goes smoothly.

I suspect trimming wages etc was most likely part of this, personally I'm impressed we weren't relegated during that considering all aspects of the club were probably going through similar. Let's hope we know by July!

Robin Bairner ‏@RBairner
Interesting report on FFP in Le Parisien. It claims Uefa will allow new owners four years free spending before FFP kicks in. (1/2)

Robin Bairner ‏@RBairner
However, this would only applies to clubs taken over in future ie. not #PSG, Monaco or Man City. Would leave Uefa open to legal action (2/2)

PL FFP is different of course but seems some changes are happening.

Robin Bairner ‏@RBairner

Interesting report on FFP in Le Parisien. It claims Uefa will allow new owners four years free spending before FFP kicks in. (1/2)

Robin Bairner ‏@RBairner

However, this would only applies to clubs taken over in future ie. not #PSG, Monaco or Man City. Would leave Uefa open to legal action (2/2)

Hmmm... so if the Man City owner decides to "sell" the business to his brother, they can then spend for 4 years? Then after those 4 years, his brother "sells" the business back to the original owner for 4 more years of spending...

The idea is : subject to the acceptance of their applications and their business plan, a new wealthy owner can now fairly widely exceed the maximum allowable deficit without risking sanctions. To what extent? No limits to date in stone. This exemption will be valid for four seasons. In return, shareholders must absorb each year the losses of their clubs, follow the operating schedule drawn up in consultation with UEFA and then, after four years, back into line.

This financial orthodoxy will be a possibility of derogation from the 2015-2016 season. It is available to new entrants, the great fortunes that come to buy a club, to invest heavily in the transfer market to integrate the Champions League ... and touch the stars as quickly as possible.

http://www.leparisien.fr/psg-foot-paris-saint-germain/la-reforme-secrete-qui-fait-mal-au-psg-11-06-2015-4852013.php

Robin Bairner ‏@RBairner

Robin Bairner ‏@RBairner

Boom!

Well this is interesting. Suddenly buying a football club seems a whole lot better for the extremely wealthy. 

What I'm interested in is what happens if;

* Villa get a takeover

* We go to UEFA and say "we want to spend x amount over our annual turnover for the next four years to increase the profile of the football club and increase revenue"

*They then allow us to spend what we like

* We do a QPR, and after 4 years we're still spending way more than we can afford

What then? Constant fines from UEFA? 

Robin Bairner ‏@RBairner

Robin Bairner ‏@RBairner

We'd still have to be careful because we could have four great years but then be left with a wage bill that doesn't meet FFP afterwards.

• Like 1

Thanks. Would be pretty sweet if this happened. Has had a lot of success with the heat. I actually bought one of their tops the other day :)

Micky Arison is the guy who has Messi* in his team and is so tight, not wanting to pay,say Pique*, that Messi* decides to leave. 

* actual names and sports may vary.

Robin Bairner ‏@RBairner

Robin Bairner ‏@RBairner

We'd still have to be careful because we could have four great years but then be left with a wage bill that doesn't meet FFP afterwards.
Yeah but dem 4 years man!
  • Like 1

Robin Bairner ‏@RBairner

Robin Bairner ‏@RBairner

Yeah but dem 4 years man!

Dem 4 years of love might be worth the looming heartbreak. Gimme some sugar Villa.

• Like 1

Thanks. Would be pretty sweet if this happened. Has had a lot of success with the heat. I actually bought one of their tops the other day :)

Micky Arison is the guy who has Messi* in his team and is so tight, not wanting to pay,say Pique*, that Messi* decides to leave. 

* I have no idea what you are talking about.

• Like 4

LeBron?

• Like 1

Man City had a head start over FFP. This allowed them to spend wildly, but also have the time to maximise revenue streams (through winning trophies and qualifying for the CL) and build out the infrastructure of the club (such as setting up a sister club in New York). Apart from the one monitoring period in which they've been hit, they have been able to set themselves up so they now stay within the rules.

The relaxing of these rules for new owners is only fair. I don't think four years is quite enough but it gives you some leeway at least.

Â