2015 Takeover Thread

samjp26

So how long should it take now? 

Percy's article said they'd like to get it done before July, but then again I guess that's stating the obvious.

I'm starting to worry that when we do get taken over, it'll be by someone completely underwhelming, hence all the links to rubbish players.

Edited by useless

The day after the reports, Fox gave plenty of interviews and had plenty of chance to deny it, but never did.

IIRC, when moving away from the talk of the current set-up, Fox kept referring to this 'other dynamic', which I took to be referring to a takeover, without actually mentioning a takeover or buyer.
  • Like 2

So how long should it take now? 

Percy's article said they'd like to get done before July, but then again I guess that's stating the obvious.

I'm starting to worry that when do get taken over it'll be by someone completely underwhelming, hence all the links to rubbish players.

Maybe the links are based on the current set up? And  the fact it's Sherwoods' first Transfer Window. I hope so anyway.

• Like 1

Imagine a scenario where we are taken over by wealthy owners who are willing to invest substantially on the team.  Now I wonder how many people are confident on Sherwood being the man to spend this money? I love the job he has done to date but I would hate to see another O'Neil or Gregory situation occur, i.e. we finally have funds to spend but trust the wrong man to spend it with a long term goal and end up back to square one a few years down the line.

All hypothetical but it would be interesting to see what peoples thoughts are on this. 

Given that Sherwood has basically no history of transfer windows at the moment it seems a little unfair to be comparing him to O'Neill in that regard.

Sometimes it feels like people are just desperate to jump on Sherwood. All things considered he did a damn good job last season hence why people have had to resort to hypotheticals.

Tim has earned the right to spend whatever funds are made available during this window by keeping us in the top flight.

I think given the right funds he can do a good job in moving us forward but Villa managers rarely get the funds to do the job and who can say beyond doubt that anyone else would do a better job than he would given he has already seen the players we have and decided upon our weak areas?    

Edited by John

I see people saying they don't want another o'neil situation, I'd happily take 3 seasons finishing sixth ;)

Can I have 6th without the 120% wage to turnover ratio and the subsequent years of austerity?
  • Like 2

Imagine a scenario where we are taken over by wealthy owners who are willing to invest substantially on the team.  Now I wonder how many people are confident on Sherwood being the man to spend this money? I love the job he has done to date but I would hate to see another O'Neil or Gregory situation occur, i.e. we finally have funds to spend but trust the wrong man to spend it with a long term goal and end up back to square one a few years down the line.

All hypothetical but it would be interesting to see what peoples thoughts are on this. 

Any new owner wouldn't splash out or back a manager "substantially" if it wasn't their appointment.

They will bide their time. See if they like Sherwood and if they feel he is suitable for their "project" they will invest or get rid.

Now i'm not saying they won't back him, they will but not to the extent of throwing money at the situation (FFP etc I know but you know what I mean)

• Like 1

I find it strange that after 4 years of fighting relegation people moan and out the transfer policies of MON and now Gregory 2 managers who got us top6 finished which you'd bite someone hands off if we were offered it for next season. Sherwood has IMO been a breath of fresh hair and has deserved a crack under any new owners. ONeill stuck to what was succeful for him and to a degree it was for us. Sherwood to me seems a far more modern manager. I can see any new owners changing things now so I fully expect Sherwood to be backed and hope that the current system in place including Reillys input help him in the recruitment side. Hopefully the new owners are that rich even if Sherwood wastes £30/40m it won't hurt us!!

I see people saying they don't want another o'neil situation, I'd happily take 3 seasons finishing sixth ;)

Can I have 6th without the 120% wage to turnover ratio and the subsequent years of austerity?

Probably not in this day and age.

I find it strange that after 4 years of fighting relegation people moan and out the transfer policies of MON and now Gregory 2 managers who got us top6 finished which you'd bite someone hands off if we were offered it for next season. Sherwood has IMO been a breath of fresh hair and has deserved a crack under any new owners. ONeill stuck to what was succeful for him and to a degree it was for us. Sherwood to me seems a far more modern manager. I can see any new owners changing things now so I fully expect Sherwood to be backed and hope that the current system in place including Reillys input help him in the recruitment side. Hopefully the new owners are that rich even if Sherwood wastes £30/40m it won't hurt us!!

I only joined in 2010 but as far as I know people were complaining about O'Neill's transfer policies back when he was manager and rightly so. Sometimes I think people forget just how freely Lerner spent in those early years.

Edited by Mantis

If we were somehow lucky enough to get mega rich owners, they'd probably want a banner name in charge, regardless of how fair that is on our Tim. Otherwise, I'm sure he'll be here with us for the start of the season.

Probably not in this day and age.

I only joined in 2010 but as far as I know people were complaining about O'Neill's transfer policies back when he was manager and rightly so. Sometimes I think people forget just how freely Lerner spent in those early years.

It's not the money spent people are moaning about its the British thing! ONeill would've preferred a 14 man squad instead of a 25. He wasted millions that's why I think with Reilly and Fox there we won't go down the short term route against buy players for the sake of it on ridiculous wages and not play them

If we were somehow lucky enough to get mega rich owners, they'd probably want a banner name in charge, regardless of how fair that is on our Tim. Otherwise, I'm sure he'll be here with us for the start of the season.

Bit like how Man City's owners kept Hughes?

Bit like how Man City's owners kept Hughes?

At the time was he not considered to be a big name manager? Certainly bigger than Sherwood is now.

Â