Have you given up on this season?

Marka Ragnos

Given up?  

157 members have voted

1. 1. Have you packed this season in, emotionally?

• Yes
    • No
    • Almost
    • Other - explain

When you start having to say "It's still mathematically possible" its usually too late, that isn't directed at anyone individual, just sayin'.

but where there is a pulse....theres a chance.

but i know what you mean.

I haven't given up. A decent run of results is all we need and we should have a squad good enough for that to be possible.

That being said, I did vote 'almost'. Watching the game today I felt weirdly resigned, almost apathetic. Losing has become a habit and it feels almost inevitable. There has been no new manager boost, so we can't cling to that hope either. I think our biggest problem is confidence, and it has been for some time. It isn't team selection or tactics, although that hasn't been perfect either. We lack belief and character and it shows in front of both goals. We desperately need a big result to build momentum. It needs to come before it's too late and time is running out quickly.

Yes, I've given up. I'm normally quite an optimistic person but this is worse than anything I've ever seen with Villa (admittedly my Villa memory only really goes back to the late 90s early 00s). I just can't see us turning it around - I don't even really care anymore it's got that routine.

I wont give up until it's over, this team is pants but I saw something away to the bitter bar codes that Sherwood might just be able to bulid on.

The 1st half was okay, obviously we couldn't score again but our general play was better except for Delph slowing things down.

2nd half was everything bad again, the very poor subs Weimann, N'Zogbia were totally useless which just handed the game to Newcastle without a fight.

The team that started did alright imo but they badly needed a goal to build on which didn't happen. What we needed was Gil on for Gabby and Grealish on for Sinclair but Sherwood is trying to find out for himself who's up for the battle and we don't have time to waste on the likes of Weimann, N'Zogbia.

We go again.

Things looked worse for us in Lambert's first season and we managed to turn that around.

I know we lost today but we could've easily gotten something from that game. It wasn't like under Lambert when we were having 0 or 1 shots on target a game. Pretty sure we've got a couple wins in us.

• Like 1

I answered 'Yes'. I honestly don't believe we'll turn things around. Obviously I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see enough about the squad to change things. I watched us lose yesterday with a sense of detachment I don't normally feel, and I barely felt bothered at the final whistle. 

That doesn't mean I don't care though. I care passionately about this club - why else would I be on here? - but I can take or leave the Premier League. If we stay up, I'll be relieved, but I won't actually be happy. It'll just mean watching us lose 75% of our games again next season. I'm quite sanguine about the Championship - if we aren't going to go bust, then I'm not really worried about anything - I just want to watch us win some games, or even just score some goals. There's a better chance of that happening in the next division down. 

Strange to think, but this could turn out to be our most successful season in a long time. We may look back on this thread come the end of May with a rye smile and a European adventure to look forward to. UTV

• Like 1

Yes.

And it's a great feeling to not worry like I was 2-3 weeks ago. That isn't because I don't love this club and always will, it's because worrying myself sick can't change a thing. Football will continue, Villa will continue, and if that has to be in a different League, so be it.

No.

All it takes is 2 consecutive wins and we're in a good position again.

All it takes? I admire your optimism but we can't even score let alone win a game :P

When did we last have consecutive wins?

If only the club and players had as much passion as some of the posters in here. Some great posts. I've disengaged from the villa now because only the fans seem to truly care and that won't be enough.

You can quote old players, founders, childhood memories all you like, the bottom line is the current players are not interested, at full time yesterday their faces were like 'meh, whatever'. If we go down they can just get their agents to find them a new home on the same or more money so why should they care?

I'm hoping a miracle happens but I don't see the strength or desire in the players to achieve it. I'm hoping against hope I'm wrong. Expect the worst and you may be pleasantly surprised. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

For me i don't think for a second we will get remotely close to the six wins Sherwood is asking for! This lot will struggle to win 1 or two out of 11 games... That's obvious too as they have about that ratio from the last 3 years! lol

I could see us getting to about 30 points max. A couple of wins, couple of draws is all i fear this poor team is capable of from the remaining fixtures...The only chance as i see it is a good win against the baggies, morale lifts and we go on to beat Sunderland taking us to 28 points with 9 to play...Then we have a chance.. anything less and we're done in my opinion or lets say we're then relying on miracles like winning at City or Old Trafford.

Edited by danceoftheshamen

To be honest what are we praying to stay up for? Maybe finishing 11th in the premier league? Watching average players wearing the shirt? Possibly worrying about relegation again?

I've stopped watching match of the day, I pay little attention to the champions league and overall supporting villa the last few years is making me lose interest in the whole sport.

I doubt staying up will change much for me.

• Like 2