• Poor
    • Very Poor
  3. 3. Refereeing Performance

• Very Good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very Poor

I think we were all hoping for a new voice in the dressing room sparking some life in to them.

Stoke started so poor and we started so brightly.....Stoke then applied the physical side of the game plus they were quicker thinking that us.

I also noticed on several occasions at their corner kicks that we had no players on the half way line or even in close proximity.....how are we meant to hurt teams, when basic thinking is absent.

I do fear the worst this campaign.

The basics ain't there.

I wish we had a player like Jonathan Walters he is such a nuisance battles for everything, the perfect guy to have in a relegation scrap. Stoke are like a team of nobodies players like Wilson and Peters if I was collecting football stickers I would bin them. But somehow they do a job. PLaying 442 against Stokes 5 made Nzonzi look like Viera. It might have been a good idea to go 3 at the back. I think we will come good. Every team down the bottom has had a little bit of a run but ours is due.

Bacuna should of come on instead of Weiman.

• Like 1

I'll probably get shot down for this but the thing that MOST disappointed me today (apart from conceding like that late on) was the attitude of the fans. Yes, you read that correct. Not the players, the fans. So often we as a fan base go on about how we deserve so much better because we're Aston Villa - well today we got exactly what we deserved.

And I'll tell you for why. As others have said, today's game was so, so important being Sherwood's first game. We needed to create a siege mentality starting today and to keep that going for the rest of the season; we needed the positivity to continue if we're to have any chance of escaping from this mess.

Yet, by the early stages of the second-half, Villa Park had turned back into the cauldron of negativity which has been eating away at this Club for the past 3-4 years. Before I get people saying: "Well the players can't be arsed, so why should i?" Well, this is modern day football chaps and it's a sad, sad fact that many footballers DON'T give a shit any more. They get paid tens of thousands of pounds each week for a few training sessions and a 90 minute match, why should they? We, as fans, are the only ones who will truly suffer if Aston Villa are relegated from the top flight.

I get the frustration - I'm as pissed off at the players & chairman as anybody. But during the game we needed to put all that aside and support the team. Actually BE that 12th man for once. We should take that banner down as it's embarrassing - we have a fan base which is so used to moaning that we're seemingly far happier doing that than making Villa Park the cracking atmosphere that it can be on rare occasions.

The thing that Albion and Blues fans usually chuck our way is that we're out-of-touch and expect too much. Well for the first time today I can see what they mean. Hardly anyone bothers singing in any regularity and the negativity in the second-half was infuriating as much as it was damaging. People shouting "f*ck off Sherwood" when he brought Weimann on, "get off the pitch you word removed" when Sanchez misplaced a pass, ironic cheering when Guzan released a ball early - why the hell are we not giving these useless muppets our undivided support for the last 13 games of the season? It's the only hope we have.

Sherwood made mistakes today (formation, for one) but he's not a miracle worker and I actually did think he got a reaction at the start. I think we could and should have been 2-0 up at half-time and that sloppy equaliser was a massive blow. We may have had a lack of efforts on goal and a severe lack of quality in the second-half but at least we actually did try to drive forward. We had loads of corners for example - it's just we're the worst corner takers in the Premier League.

If the fan base are going to 'turn' that easily from here on in, then we may as well all just give up and come back next season for the start of the Championship season. I know we're awful but we're not going to get out of this by moaning, are we? I for one was ashamed of some of our fans today.

• Like 3

I really thought we had green shoots today, they didn't turn into shots, but the attacks seemed more decisive.

Lets face it, he has to persuade our players; "the Lambert Losers" into believing that they can still play football as a team, then, that they can win again.

So I genuinely believe The Bells are Ringing, just a little further in the distance...

Not all Vlaaar's fault -- at all. We should have been further ahead. We're still not getting balls in the back of the net. So don't pin this disaster totally on Vlaar! He had a moment of madness. At least he was trying.

Vlaar single handedly cost us a point. No two ways about it.

Except ... there are two ways.

Two ways would be you clutching at straws or being deluded.

The game was headed for a draw. It would have lifted us to 17th, and seeing that would bring renewed confidence and fight that a corner has been turned or we start to move up now.

Then he made the mother of all mistakes and even compounded it. Now we have a polar opposite, world of difference as we are even worse off than we started. Any feel good factor is lost, confidence emptying even more, and any hope seems about gone.

Strange how a single point works but that single point could mean the difference between staying up and going down. If there was a moment that could define a season or the season hinges on, that would be it. He didn't just cost a point. He could have jolly well cost the entire season and Premier League status.

Edited by GasGasGas

Positives:

Attacking line-up to start the match.

We scored a goal.

Sinclair looks decent.

The teams around us (apart from Hull) didn't win.

Negatives:

Big loss of momentum.

Lack of shots.

Awful set pieces.

Failure to see out games.

Vlaar suspended.

I think you should go notice that we are now 19th, 1 place worse than we started. They might not have won but they gained a point, which is more than we could, and are going above us.

Many here won't find Vlaar suspended a negative. Evidently doesn't want to be here anymore and won't be bothered if we went down. His time here is effectively over.

Gotta rely on qpr and burley to get whooped every week and us to get a few points

They will fight unlike us. Burnley just gained a point against Chelsea. What would we do? Lose as usual (due to Delph and his inept joke clearance). It is us getting whooped every week and they are getting points.

They play us and they'll outfight us easily to win too. We're going down.

Today was as bad as anything under lambert.

But what annoyed me the most was the attendance. So many said they wouldn't attend under lambert, so where the **** were you today? 31k is embarrassing!

I came here to post exactly this TLR.

Either people couldn't be bothered because it's Stoke, people already think we're down or they let their petty dislike of Sherwood stop them from going.

Either way, 31k is pathetic.

Today was as bad as anything under lambert.

But what annoyed me the most was the attendance. So many said they wouldn't attend under lambert, so where the **** were you today? 31k is embarrassing!

I came here to post exactly this TLR.

Either people couldn't be bothered because it's Stoke, people already think we're down or they let their petty dislike of Sherwood stop them from going.

Either way, 31k is pathetic.

On the subject of the crowd, bear in mind we've got WBA twice in a week soon, so think people would rather pay for those games given a choice.

Anyway, yesterday was frustrating. We didn't kick on after our goal (best header I've seen in ages) and our midfield got bullied by N'Zonzi and Whelan.

My main gripe is at Benteke, Fab and Gabby. They're all on big money, multi-year contracts and it's time to step up. Gabby had been "on fire" in training according to TS. Didn't see anything to suggest that and his performances this season definitely do not warrant a start.

Fab hasn't been the same since he came back. No driving runs forward and doesn't seem to have that snap in the tackle. Maybe he's still getting up to match fitness.

Benteke's performance was what we've become used to of late. I think he's just so frustrated. Stoke are physical and I didn't see him pushing their defenders around enough.

We've changed the manager so we no longer have Lambert to blame. It's time for the players to dig us out this mess

Sinclair is the only positive I took from yesterday.

Everything else was just the same, except we set up in a way that made us possibly even more ineffective.

Sherwood's only had a week so can't blame him, IMO. Hopefully he can see what was wrong and can work to fix it.

But we're in deep now.

• Like 2

Â