• Very Poor
  3. 3. Refereeing Performance

• Very Good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very Poor

Clark and Vlaar guilty for their first goal

Not sure what Clark could have done. Hutton lost his man and Vlaar missed the header. 

Hutton didn't lose anything. The goal came from the left didn't it? If anyone it was Delph if I remember. 

Still can't believe we just lost that. To think a draw would of moved us out of relegation. Now we've actually dropped another place down.

After that horrible first 90 minutes, I can't believe people have the temerity to blame Vlaar. Yes, he screwed up badly. He knows it, no question. But the match was already lost.

But it was 1-1 and looked like it would end that way.

You can't defend the touch. Boot it out do anything but don't take that touch. We're scrapping for points. A draw would have been an improvement and stopped a run of 6 losses on the bounce. A captain should know this. A captain should know that with 2 mins stoppage left we have what we hold. 1 point is a dam sight better than no points when your scrapping.

Now we're 19th and have another L beside our names. Nothing to build on and nothing to salvage from what prior to the game was a happy Villa Park.

If Villa's only problem this year were that our captain didn't know how to do his job for one millisecond, we wouldn't be in the drop zone. I blame Vlaar for mucking it up badly, but I refuse to indulge in overstating his role in our loss. I'm sure he feels destroyed.

Edited by Shifted To Neutral

Sanchez struggled badly in 2nd half but we were just outnumbered in the middle so I don't know if he deserves all the blame for that. Sherwood needed to make a change in formation 'cause Sinclair and Agbonlahor were not in the game at this point and we were losing it in CM.

the approach was a positive one to start with but when you lose control of the match, you have to switch things around. 

• Like 1

After that horrible first 90 minutes, I can't believe people have the temerity to blame Vlaar. Yes, he screwed up badly. He knows it, no question. But the match was already lost.

But it was 1-1 and looked like it would end that way.
You can't defend the touch. Boot it out do anything but don't take that touch. We're scrapping for points. A draw would have been an improvement and stopped a run of 6 losses on the bounce. A captain should know this. A captain should know that with 2 mins stoppage left we have what we hold. 1 point is a dam sight better than no points when your scrapping.

Now we're 19th and have another L beside our names. Nothing to build on and nothing to salvage from what prior to the game was a happy Villa Park.

If Villa's only problem this year were that our captain didn't know how to do his job for one millisecond, we wouldn't be in the drop zone. I blame Vlaar for mucking it up badly, but I refuse to indulge in overstating his role in our loss. I'm sure he feels destroyed.

Of course it isn't Vlaar's fault we are where we are and I'm sure he feels bad and cares, and I like him a lot, but he clearly cost us the game. And I'm afraid this could be a much bigger than one lost point. Without his mistake we'd be 17th and psychologically I think that could have made a massive difference. I certainly would feel much more confident. We didn't play well, but it would have been acceptable result and kept us above QPR and Burnley. Now we're chasing them and I don't like that setting.

I find myself in a kind of state of denial. Surely we aren't this bad? Surely there is more than enough talent in our side to keep us safe? Everything is going to be ok in the end, isn't it? I just can't see us going down. In a way it's like a cognitive dissonance because, good grief, we aren't very good at all and we can certainly go down.

I'm trying to figure out exactly what is wrong and there is nothing specific that jumps out. There seems to be an overwhelming amount of wrong with the club that is manifesting itself on the pitch. Even with a new manager in place we seem to be in utter limbo. Lambert didn't create the mess that is at the core of our troubles but he couldn't fix it either. Can Tim? I'm scared.

Edited by Michelsen
  • Like 3

Well, that was like watching one of our toothless possession-based performances minus the possession.

It was a very poor game that we probably didn't deserve to lose, but I am genuinely shocked at how badly the team played today and that Sherwood didn't change things up in the second half.

Bit harsh to compare Sherwood to Lambert after one game in charge.

Unfortunately though time is running out - and fast.

Best we can hope for is that Sherwood makes the necessary squad/tactical changes and we pick up some points very soon.

2 shots on target against Stoke is very disappointing, though.

Â