Living Wage

limpid

Point remains, there won't be many companies in this country where those on the bottom rung aren't on comparatively poor wages compared to those at the top

With the case of football it's only emphasised by the fact that the players are on ridiculous wages

Is the issue that the guy selling chips is on £6 or that gabby is on £60k a week? It's not the fact that the guy selling chips is on £6 because that's what everyone else pays for selling chips, even companies more profitable than villa still only pay £6

But you're still using examples of listed companies with shareholders whose main aim is to return value to their shareholders. Aston Villa football club do not need to do that.

If an average footballer, let's say Matt Lowton, gets another 10K p/w in his wage packet because of an enhanced TV deal, but the bloke selling chips can't be given an extra £1 or so per hour then the modern game is more rotten than I thought.

Yeah but you're bringing matt lowton in to an argument when in reality you should be saying a chip seller at McDonald's earns minimum wage, a chip seller at Burger King earns minimum wage, a chip seller at KFC earns minimum wage, a chip seller at St. Andrews earns minimum wage, a chip seller at villa park earns minimum wage

What matt lowton earns is irrelevant

I fail to see a good argument as to why villa should pay their chip sellers more than anyone else

How are you still not getting this? Some of those organisations are different from the others. Why are they different? HINT: It has something to do with fiduciary duty to shareholders. 

This move would obviously be right, 1) because the football club is a part of the community, and offering a decent wage to the staff who actually come from the community is a valuable way of giving something back, 2) because it would be excellent PR and there's no reason not to take advantage of that, and 3) the cost would be trivial, and easily covered by adding 5p onto the price of concessions sold. Consider this petition signed.

• Like 1

As others have added, just because other companies don't do it doesn't mean Villa can't. Lets stand above the others and offer something back to the lower paid workforce. Its good PR, if nothing else. 

I have a client who runs a coach and bus company. The company is successful, profitable and well run. The staff are very loyal and the turnover/attrition is next to non existent. Why? He pays his front line staff (drivers, mechanics, admin staff) quite a bit more then the market average (once they have proved themselves) for the same job. This breeds loyalty and gets more out of the staff. Yes he could pay less and make marginally more money but that would be offset by constantly recruiting and interviewing new staff to replace others who have left for an extra 50p an hour somewhere else.

Somewhere in this post i'm basically trying to say, lets do something good! 

• Like 2

Point remains, there won't be many companies in this country where those on the bottom rung aren't on comparatively poor wages compared to those at the top

With the case of football it's only emphasised by the fact that the players are on ridiculous wages

Is the issue that the guy selling chips is on £6 or that gabby is on £60k a week? It's not the fact that the guy selling chips is on £6 because that's what everyone else pays for selling chips, even companies more profitable than villa still only pay £6

But you're still using examples of listed companies with shareholders whose main aim is to return value to their shareholders. Aston Villa football club do not need to do that.

If an average footballer, let's say Matt Lowton, gets another 10K p/w in his wage packet because of an enhanced TV deal, but the bloke selling chips can't be given an extra £1 or so per hour then the modern game is more rotten than I thought.

Yeah but you're bringing matt lowton in to an argument when in reality you should be saying a chip seller at McDonald's earns minimum wage, a chip seller at Burger King earns minimum wage, a chip seller at KFC earns minimum wage, a chip seller at St. Andrews earns minimum wage, a chip seller at villa park earns minimum wage

I fail to see a good argument as to why villa should pay their chip sellers more than anyone else

Reservoir-Dogs-Steve-Buscemi-Mr-Pink-500

How are you still not getting this? Some of those organisations are different from the others. Why are they different? HINT: It has something to do with fiduciary duty to shareholders.

This move would obviously be right, 1) because the football club is a part of the community, and offering a decent wage to the staff who actually come from the community is a valuable way of giving something back, 2) because it would be excellent PR and there's no reason not to take advantage of that, and 3) the cost would be trivial, and easily covered by adding 5p onto the price of concessions sold. Consider this petition signed.

disagree

1) long gone are the days that clubs are part of the community

2) this PR would be short benefit if any at all

3) cost isn't trivial though, it mounts up and if you add that cost to concessions then fans will be complaining of the cost going to the game again

Pay what the market dictates and is legal, no more, no less

• Like 1

Signed, I'm all for the living wage across the board, not just in selective companies so this gets my name.

The irony is if everyone across the board in society got the living wage then it would no longer be the living wage because that act in itself would affect inflation.

But regarding Villa, I'd be all for it and NV summed up my thoughts perfectly.

Signed, I'm all for the living wage across the board, not just in selective companies so this gets my name.

The irony is if everyone across the board in society got the living wage then it would no longer be the living wage because that act in itself would affect inflation.

Yes I know, I just like the principle though particularly with rising costs everywhere and stagnant wages.

disagree

3) cost isn't trivial though, it mounts up and if you add that cost to concessions then fans will be complaining of the cost going to the game again

1)  You're right.  Let's **** off the local charity work they do - pointless.

2)  PR is irrelevant.

3)  Cost is trivial in the amounts you're talking about, for a Premier League football club, who is basically being handed more free money.

Paying what the market dictates may well be legal, but how about we do our bit for those who help our club in a time when we quite clearly and obviously can afford to do so?

Views like this honestly wind me up.  Football, first and foremost, is a sport.  It's disgusting enough without having people actively go against giving the catering staff an extra couple of quid per matchday.

Signed.

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 2

disagree

1) You're right. Let's **** off the local charity work they do - pointless.

2) PR is irrelevant.

3) Cost is trivial in the amounts you're talking about, for a Premier League football club, who is basically being handed more free money.

Paying what the market dictates may well be legal, but how about we do our bit for those who help our club in a time when we quite clearly and obviously can afford to do so?

Views like this honestly wind me up. Football, first and foremost, is a sport. It's disgusting enough without having people actively go against giving the catering staff an extra couple of quid per matchday.

Signed.

this is where this kind of post winds me up...people who help out club? No it's a job, which the individual has agreed to do. Are they anything special, no! Some of their attitudes are great, some average, some not great. Not sure why they should get more money! If they do well in their jobs they are likely to get promoted, if they are nice to customers then might get a tip. I find it bizarre that we should pay more than market for that kind of role(s). Rather give money to deserving charities that need help

The inflationary effect of increasing the minimum wage is grossly over stated. 

As for this I'm all for Villa's non-playing staff earning a liveable wage.

• Like 1

Â