The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think it was more benteke than sherwood.

By that notion it was the players not Sherwood when we were losing?

Just being awkward pal! :P 

1 minute ago, Xela said:

By that notion it was the players not Sherwood when we were losing?

Just being awkward pal! :P 

I know you are :crylaugh:

I think the evidemce is there, once we aold benteke he struggled and only won one league game.

I still cant believe our worst evwr premier league aide under  clueless manager atill beat blose.

16 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep he did. And then he relegated us. 

Job was too big for him after the cup final really.

A manager with less than 50 games to lose Delph, Vlaar and Benteke all in one summer was too much for us to lose. He also got a tune out of Cleverley aswell so you could argue not signing him permanently was a blow although doubt he'd have been much use in our 15/16 team.

We've seen far more experienced managers struggle and get sacked after losing a big player in the summer. R Koeman for one and Vilas Boas made a mess of things after Bale went.

As much as I defend Sherwood though he really dosen't help himself with some of the comments he's made about his times at Spurs and Swindon.

15 hours ago, BOF said:

If you really believe it was Sherwood that signed all those foreign players then I can see why you'd think it was him that got us relegated.

It was a bit of both really. Jordan Ayew was a Sherwood signing I believe aswell as Tiago Llori. Likes of Crespo and Amavi were more Paddy Reilly and the other stats guy we had.

Again it's very creative from Tim to see he couldn't sign the players he wanted like Richards, Lescott and Rudy Gestede.....He also wanted Aaron Lennon, cleverley on a permanent and Tom Huddlestone.

So our 15/16 team could've even been worse than what we ended up with!

If we use hindsight we should've thanked him for his efforts after the cup final and then appointed a Pulis or Big Sam to keep us ticking over while Lerner sold the club. Losing all those key players in one go was too much for his ability.

6 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

That interview after the Leicester loss was a huge red flag. It showed his inability to handle the pressure of being a manager.

Leicester game just killed everything. It's easy to forget how good we were for 60 minutes that day against the league champions that season. Gil and Grealish scored excellent goals and looked the part and we missed a few other chances on the counter attack.

Winning there would've taken us up to 7 points. Not amazing but generally on par with the starts Lambert used to start seasons with and we had winnable home games coming up.

Instead we all know what happened and the collapse was staggering even for such a poor team. We picked up just 4 more points for the rest of 2015.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

In fairness, some of those foreign players nearly kept us up - Idrissa Gueye was our best player that season by a mile. It's the meat and potatoes English signings, the "Sherwood men" that got us relegated - the likes of Richards and Lescott.

As for Sherwood himself, he's a terrible manager - the worst I can recall here. He's not solely responsible for relegating us of course, we'd spent too long being on the edge of it - but a better manager would have seen us swirl around the plughole a little longer I think. 

His tactical knowledge was laughable, he was a decent motivator of players and they liked him and I think there's a place for him alongside someone who knows how to manage a football team - he's essentially football management's equivalent to Bez from the Happy Mondays.

There's a reason he hasn't worked since he was here I feel.

Nearly as in about 20 points shy?

• Like 2

Sherwood isn't a football manager and I don't know why he parades himself as one. He's probably a reasonable coach and if he didn't reek so badly of failure he'd be an entertaining enough pundit. 

I don't think I ever really hated him, but I cannot for the life of me understand the allure. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Sherwood isn't a football manager and I don't know why he parades himself as one. He's probably a reasonable coach and if he didn't reek so badly of failure he'd be an entertaining enough pundit. 

I don't think I ever really hated him, but I cannot for the life of me understand the allure. 

This is really it right here.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Leicester game just killed everything. It's easy to forget how good we were for 60 minutes that day against the league champions that season. Gil and Grealish scored excellent goals and looked the part and we missed a few other chances on the counter attack.

Winning there would've taken us up to 7 points. Not amazing but generally on par with the starts Lambert used to start seasons with and we had winnable home games coming up.

Instead we all know what happened and the collapse was staggering even for such a poor team. We picked up just 4 more points for the rest of 2015.

A lot of them games we played ok but conceded shit goals to lose by odd goal. West Brom, Swansea, Stoke and maybe Watford we could have easily got 10 points from and got zero

14 hours ago, Keyblade said:

The reason he should not get a pass is that he claimed full credit for the transfers when he initially made them and they appeared to be decent. Then when they flopped he tried to wash his hands off them. Nope, he gets the full blame for being a self-aggrandizing ****

I just feel like every manager has that sort of transfer set up. Most clubs these days operate that way. There’s some sort of transfer team that identifies players and the transfers are worked out between a load of people. The manager obviously has input into it. 

But because Sherwood moaned to the press about it a load of fans seem to have excused him from blame for those disastrous transfers. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

The fact there are a considerable amount of villa fans who would happily have him back will confuse me until the day I die. 

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

The fact there are a considerable amount of villa fans who would happily have him back will confuse me until the day I die. 

As time goes by I think  “a considerable amount of Villa fans” are a very special breed. I used to think it was a case that all clubs have this contingent but I think ours are extra special. 

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Not for me now and the fact he never got another job proves the against him brigade right and me wrong but that doesn't take anything away from some of the good memories he gave us.  Mind you can say the same about the Garde lovers because the guy has ended up at the MLS. I'm sure even Sherwood could get a job there. 

Edited by PaulC

I've have had Sherwood over Garde as shit as Tim was, he could occasionally get a spark from the team. Garde couldn't even do that

Biggest error was not getting rid of Sherwood a fortnight earlier and getting Allardyce in before Sunderland got there. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I've have had Sherwood over Garde as shit as Tim was, he could occasionally get a spark from the team. Garde couldn't even do that

Biggest error was not getting rid of Sherwood a fortnight earlier and getting Allardyce in before Sunderland got there. 

Sherwood was given a huge budget and was still shite. Garde wasnt given a penny

27 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Sherwood was given a huge budget and was still shite. Garde wasnt given a penny

Garde should have got more out of the players he inherited. He was meant to be a decent manager. He looked shell shocked as our manager. 

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Second paragraph is exactly right, and I remember saying as much at the time 

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I just feel like every manager has that sort of transfer set up. Most clubs these days operate that way. There’s some sort of transfer team that identifies players and the transfers are worked out between a load of people. The manager obviously has input into it. 

But because Sherwood moaned to the press about it a load of fans seem to have excused him from blame for those disastrous transfers. 

You're right, that's how it is at most clubs, but he tried to claim full credit for the transfer at first. The transfer committee was only involved after they flopped. For that reason he should get all the blame even though in reality his input was only one of many.

Â