The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

"Tim Sherwood won't get relegated. I believe in myself and this team. If we're bottom at Christmas I won't panic."

Alongside '''3 at the back worked well in phases against Stoke '' '' Joleon is in great form ''

"Tim Sherwood won't get relegated. I believe in myself and this team. If we're bottom at Christmas I won't panic."

Alongside '''3 at the back worked well in phases against Stoke '' '' Joleon is in great form ''

If he really said those then he has to be trolling, especially the Lescott one.

some people seem to think a win buys him more time, until XX game or until the next defeat.  Then presumably if he then wins the next game he gets a little more time until the next game.  Thats no way to run a club with a manager on a continual "death row" of results with him and the club living from one result to the next.  

It is no different to any manager is it and there is always a tipping point and a crossroads. That is potentially tomorrow for Sherwood. Then there will almost certainly be another cross roads further down the line. There will have been hundreds of instances over the years of managers having been one result from the sack, got a positive result, and then gone on for another few weeks, months or years.

If a positive result tomorrow was still going to result in Sherwood being shown the door he would have been sacked already. Now I can understand supporters still wanting him out after a win tomorrow that is their prerogative but those above Sherwood won’t see it like that I am almost certain. They will want to give the manager as much time as possible. A win buys a little more time and for me it gets him to the Watford game barring total annihilation in the games in between.

You can say that is no way to run a club but at the vast majority of clubs a manager is no more than a run of half a dozen poor results away from being under severe pressure. Sherwood is now at the far end of that scale and at the closet point to being sacked but like many have shown in the past there is a way back and for as long as he remains the manager I hope he does turn things around and hopefully that starts tomorrow.

• Like 2

It's probably me but I have real difficulty understanding what you mean?  The best I can understand is that you feel it is the players who are to blame not the manager and have no opinion whether he should go or not and you are putting your faith in Fox to know when the time is right. 

I don't agree with you about short termism by the way - McLeish had longer than his acheivements warranted and Lambert had nearly three years (that's twice as long as the average prem manager gets). So were not changing managers every 5 minutes.

What appears on here is all opinion based on the parts of the situation we can see (games, interviews, etc).  If you're not a fan of conjecture a fan forum is probably not the ideal place for you.  The idea is that we state our opinions and mine is Sherwood will take us down - I imagine Fox will join me in that view around 5.00pm Saturday

You said you didn't understand what I meant and went on to appraise it perfectly.

many managers have often said over the years.....you are only as good as your players.

if you put a turd on a potters wheel, it's unlikely the potter will turn it in to a piece of royal doulton.......a conductor cannot make a violinist a better player.....so yes, I have issues with the players, but as I have said before, it's a combination.

Tom Fox is the man to make the decision and he should be the man to know what decision that should be.

I'm a villa fan, I'll just support the manager until he is no longer representing our team.

look, we don' t agree, but so what, it's good to study all the different views, you believe in managers ability more than me....I think they can guide them, they can't do it for them.

No I said I had real difficulty understanding but I worked really hard and got there in the end

Can a conductor make a violinist a better player? I'm not sure, but it would help if he gave them all the same set of music and didn't replace the violinist with a trombone player halfway through.

So you think the players are "turd" and I think its mainly the manager fault - it's not possible to change the players at the moment so in your scenario I guess we stumble along until Xmas and change half a dozen of them then. I hope poor Tim then has time to get them fit and piece his jigsaw together to get enough points to avoid relegation

Your "I'm a villa fan, I'll just support the manager" sounds very much like a "better fan" argument. I'm not sure why you take part in a forum if your view is that we should all shut up and let Fox decide whats best for us

some people seem to think a win buys him more time, until XX game or until the next defeat.  Then presumably if he then wins the next game he gets a little more time until the next game.  Thats no way to run a club with a manager on a continual "death row" of results with him and the club living from one result to the next.  

It is no different to any manager is it and there is always a tipping point and a crossroads. That is potentially tomorrow for Sherwood. Then there will almost certainly be another cross roads further down the line. There will have been hundreds of instances over the years of managers having been one result from the sack, got a positive result, and then gone on for another few weeks, months or years.

If a positive result tomorrow was still going to result in Sherwood being shown the door he would have been sacked already. Now I can understand supporters still wanting him out after a win tomorrow that is their prerogative but those above Sherwood won’t see it like that I am almost certain. They will want to give the manager as much time as possible. A win buys a little more time and for me it gets him to the Watford game barring total annihilation in the games in between.

You can say that is no way to run a club but at the vast majority of clubs a manager is no more than a run of half a dozen poor results away from being under severe pressure. Sherwood is now at the far end of that scale and at the closet point to being sacked but like many have shown in the past there is a way back and for as long as he remains the manager I hope he does turn things around and hopefully that starts tomorrow.

I think we will win tomorrow, but I think he will then need a point from one of the next three games to stay in place until Watford. 

I can't ever hope we lose a game but I do buy into the thinking that Villa under, say Moyes, would make up the lost three points and much more by the end of the season.

All 100% correct.

- He won't get relegated.

- He will always believe in himself, even when we get nuked by North Korea

- He won't need to panic because he'll be treating the family to Christmas in the Bahamas using his severance pay.

Edited by Lerner's Driver

I've said it before but we won't go on a long run to gather the points to stay up under Sherwood. Regardless of the result tomorrow I still want him out. 

"Villa have lost 14 of the 22 games they have played under Sherwood". That says it all, Tim Out!

• Like 4

This will be over soon.

Swansea, a side with no win in six, are going to do us by at least two clear goals at the weekend.

Then he can go away and we can get someone in who is actually a professional, not some Sunday league joke.

As weird/bad as this sounds - I'm worried that we'll get a result and he'll get a stay of execution.

Unbelievable, regardless of feelings towards the manager Villa fans should want nothing less than 3 points tomorrow.

You see I think this is a shortsighted way of looking at it. It's better to take a loss in one game than be stuck with a guy who has no idea what he's doing for the longer term. The latter IMO is a lot more damaging to the club.

Mate why would you want us to lose and potentially be 7 points adrift?? That is a crazy way of thinking about it. Its not one loss though is it when you consider where we are in the league. We cannot afford to lose this game with Sherwood here or not

He's explained why he wants us to lose.

Because if it meant Sherwood was sacked then, long term, it would be better for the club as we're likely to get more points in the long run.

I'm not sure I agree, but I can see why people would feel that way.

Personally I don't think one result will save Sherwood. I'd like to see us win and him sacked at the same time.

But we won't win.

I still dont understand the logic Stevo, i Couldn;t stand Mcleish but I never wanted my team to lose to get rid of him! I agree with your final sentence though will be irrelevent as we wont win anyways

The logic is simple.

Over the course of the season we will gain more points without Sherwood in charge than with him.

Therefore if sacrificing 3 points tomorrow means we get rid of Sherwood, over the course of the season it will mean more points for the club.

Like I said, I don't necessarily agree with it, but it makes sense for someone to feel that way

I've said it before but we won't go on a long run to gather the points to stay up under Sherwood. Regardless of the result tomorrow I still want him out. 

"Villa have lost 14 of the 22 games they have played under Sherwood". That says it all, Tim Out!

but he got us to an FA Cup final and kept us up when we were already relegated. He should be our manager FOREVER!

I think this is spot on.  

Ideally we get 3 points.  Maybe Tim then stays, maybe not - there's certainly discussions going on with other managers - but we've got 3 points.  Keep winning and he'll keep his job and I could live with that.  And, if we do keep winning, maybe Tim's figured it out, the team has clicked and I'll take my criticism back when we're safely mid-table.  (I think this is a mightily unlikely scenario FWIW).

One win shouldn't buy him an extended run - it's game by game for me, but at the moment points are more precious than getting rid of the manager. Though ideally I'd like both.

Clown!

TIM Sherwood has written off Swansea City's hopes of getting anything at Aston Villa this weekend, declaring: "We will win."

Villa have chalked up just one Premier League victory all season — at Bournemouth on the opening day — and currently sit second from bottom in the table.

There has been speculation that Sherwood could be sacked if he fails to deliver a second league maximum of the campaign when Swansea visit Villa Park tomorrow.

But the former Spurs boss insists there is no doubt about which way the result will go.

"I'm here to do my job. My job doesn't change just because of speculation whether it's my last game or not," Sherwood said.

"I need to win a football match which I'm aware of. I'll be standing there taking full responsibility for the team's performance and we will win tomorrow."

Since Bournemouth, Villa have claimed just one more league point courtesy of a 2-2 home draw with Sunderland.

They have already lost league games to Manchester United, Crystal Palace, Leicester City, West Brom, Liverpool, Stoke and Chelsea, leading to speculation about their manager's future.

Sherwood says he has had no reassurances from the club's owners about his position, but added: "I can't control that.

"It's their decision whether they want to come out and say that.

Clown!

TIM Sherwood has written off Swansea City's hopes of getting anything at Aston Villa this weekend, declaring: "We will win."

Villa have chalked up just one Premier League victory all season — at Bournemouth on the opening day — and currently sit second from bottom in the table.

There has been speculation that Sherwood could be sacked if he fails to deliver a second league maximum of the campaign when Swansea visit Villa Park tomorrow.

But the former Spurs boss insists there is no doubt about which way the result will go.

"I'm here to do my job. My job doesn't change just because of speculation whether it's my last game or not," Sherwood said.

"I need to win a football match which I'm aware of. I'll be standing there taking full responsibility for the team's performance and we will win tomorrow."

Since Bournemouth, Villa have claimed just one more league point courtesy of a 2-2 home draw with Sunderland.

They have already lost league games to Manchester United, Crystal Palace, Leicester City, West Brom, Liverpool, Stoke and Chelsea, leading to speculation about their manager's future.

Sherwood says he has had no reassurances from the club's owners about his position, but added: "I can't control that.

"It's their decision whether they want to come out and say that.

If we don't win, you feel he will lay into the players again.

why is he a clown? nothing in that statement that is out of place or is just the agenda now for people that anything Tim does makes him a clown

quite right, but he will look a right one if we don't win.

why is he a clown? nothing in that statement that is out of place or is just the agenda now for people that anything Tim does makes him a clown

He is a clown because you dont come out and say we will win!  Nice motivation that for Swansea.  And no its not an agenda because everything that he does say and do is comical these days.  Sorry i dont fit into the PC brigade and try to fit into an agenda to find things he does right or isnt at fault for!

Edited by HeyAnty

Â