The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

This morning's back page of the Express.

CRjK6qbXAAAhte4.jpg

please god this would make me excited to be a villa fan again. This would be the most exciting management appointment since o Neill. 

I just can't see it happening, not yet anyway.

Well-known Spanish football journalist Guillem Balague has told Sky Sports that David Moyes wants to remain at Real Sociedad for the rest of the season.

Balague has also claimed that Sociedad president Jokin Aperribay wants the former Everton and Manchester United manager to remain in charge of the team until next summer.

The Spanish football expert was asked during a ‘Question & Answer’ session on Sky Sports on Friday by a follower on Twitter: “Press reporting Moyes being in the race for Villa, how is he setting up his team, seems to be struggling again?”

Balague replied: “At this point in time, David Moyes wants to finish the season at Real Sociedad. At this point in time, the Real Sociedad president wants him to stay all season.”

Aston Villa link

Moyes has been in charge of Spanish club Sociedad since November 2014 and has a contract until the end of the season.

However, the Scotsman has been linked with the Aston Villa managerial job due to the ongoing struggles of Tim Sherwood.

According to The Daily Star, the former Everton and United boss would find it hard to turn down an approach from the Premier League outfit.

SEE ALSO: BBC pundit understands Randy Lerner’s twitchiness, has a message for Villa owner

Moyes was a massive failure at United during the 2013-14 season, as he could not guide the Red Devils to a top-four finish in the Premier League.

However, the former Celtic defender did a brilliant job at Merseyside outfit Everton from 2002 to 2013, and he is rated highly by those within the game.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/10/18/guillem-balague-clarifies-david-moyes-situation-at-real-sociedad/page/1/

Balague in truth knows **** all about the inside dealings at Spanish clubs. I cannot remember how many times he has said a manager or player is a done deal and it has turned out to be false. Moyes will probably be sacked within a week judging by Balague's track record.

Collymore has a say… 

Villa have brought in a director of football when club supremos Randy Lerner and Tom Fox should simply have said to Sherwood at his interview, ‘If we give you the backing to come in and buy all of the players you want, to train them, put in your own scouts, what will you do for us?’ 

If they had been satisfied with his answers they should then have given him the job and just let him get on with it.

Instead, we’ve got Aston Villa basically operating as a development football club, which they have never been in more than 140 years and, as a supporter, that’s embarrassing. 

I don’t expect us to win the Premier League or be in the top four, but I do expect to be in the top half of the table competing, with good management, good backing and being run among those six or seven premium clubs as, for the most part, Villa always have been throughout their history. 

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/aston-villa-should-learn-trust-6654893

We aren't a club that would benefit from a Moyes type manager at the moment imo, we need an allardyce/pulis type to come in for a few years, steady the ship, get us safe and in shape and then go for a more progressive Moyes type manager. Unfortunately, those type of managers are now employed.

I am not so sure Moyes is a progressive type manager and as always come across to me as a manager that keeps things simple and is pretty old school.

His Everton sides were built on a solid defence, a strong midfield full of grafters and he liked a fairly big man up top in someone like Anichebe, Jelavic, Yakubu etc. His Everton sides were always strong at set pieces with the likes of Cahill and Fellaini always a threat. Full backs were encouraged to provide the width.

I'd take him in a heartbeat as I think he'd instantly demand respect and quickly get us organized. It is frustrating to watch us as we aren't a million miles away from getting results as shown by the fact we haven't been battered in any game this season. Not even close in fact. I think we are just trying to be too clever at times. Yesterday there was simply no need for Guzan to be playing it out form the back. He puts his boot through that and we potentially go in at half time level giving us a nice confidence boost and something to build on. Against Palace we threw a point away f ing about at the back. Against Liverpool we continually lost the ball in our own half trying to be too cute.

We need to play to our strengths. We have a big man up top that thrives on crosses. Fannying about with the ball at the back or in midfield is not going to get us goals. We don't have guys in midfield or up top who are making runs waiting for a pass to be threaded into them so a patient build up is of no benefit to us. We need to be getting it wide and into the box. Amavi can provide good width from full back, Hutton/Bacuna are not shy in getting forward, we have decent wide pace merchants in Sinclair, Traore, Gabby who we need to be instructing to get to the by line and get the ball into the box. Then get players from midfield and the wide forward from the opposite side supporting Gestede and lets start creating a bit of panic in the opposing teams box and banging in a few scrappy goals.

I think Moyes could potentially get the best out of this squad. His football was never the most attractive at Everton but no worse than what we served up under O'Neill and like under O'Neill I think we could get back to doing what matters which is playing effective football that gets results.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

This morning's back page of the Express.

CRjK6qbXAAAhte4.jpg

please god this would make me excited to be a villa fan again. This would be the most exciting management appointment since o Neill. 

He'd make us a solid outfit but exciting he is not. 

I have backed him up until recently.

Continues to pick Lescott even though his poor performances have cost us vital points.

Ayew man of the match against Birmingham, dropped next game.

The defensive lineup at home to Stoke.

And yesterday dropping Amavi, our best signing by miles.

I honestly believe that Sherwood will be gone during November but it won't be moyes who will replace him, he is too much of an honest man to walk away from sociedad. We will have an interim till the season end then maybe get moyes or Rodgers. As for interim I don't know who.

Â