The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

The nickname `tactics Tim'; is that because he put too much emphasis on tactics? He seems to me to be over-thinking line ups and subs.

I think its because he didn't actually show any tactics and just went gung-ho. I may be wrong though.

Was originally meant in an affectionate way at Spurs but has stuck as a derisory, mocking label.

Thanks, guys. That's interesting. And I am obviously wrong to think he is over-thinking things. Have to find another theory now.

For me he really needs to prove himself. He talks as though he is on top of the world and in control, although recently, you can see he has realised its tough at the very top. Personally for me last season he kept us up because he got Benteke firing, an my belief is there isn't a manager in the Premier league (apart from Lambert ofcourse) who couldn't have kept us up with a on fire striker. It was more than obvious Benteke was back to full fitness and promised his big move if he performed, so I doubt Tim had the hardest job with him.

So in reality did Tim really have a tough job in keeping us up, because I know without Benteke he wouldn't have had a f****** clue.

• Like 2

Is the shirt too much pressure for these lads?

No

Well evidnace suggests that losing mentality has started creeping back in, as we are still pants at home

I want Villa Park to be a fortress agin, its been like a play ground for a while now

That's nothing to do with the pressure of the shirt.

I can't imagine any of our players are weighed down by the pressure of playing for Aston Villa. They feel pressure I'm sure, but it's no greater for us than it would be for any other club.

I think playing at Villa Park does come with a certain pressure that other smaller clubs don’t experience. Despite having battled relegation for the last 5 seasons we are still a pretty demanding and expectant bunch and I love that about us as fans but it does have its downside. We can be drawing with any side outside of the top 6 or 7 with 5 minutes to go and the crowd won’t accept us playing for a draw they will want us to go for the win. I say this as someone who has hardly missed a home game in knocking on 30 years and I am as bad as anyone for encouraging us to go forward. Also quite often if we go a goal down impatience and anxiety sets in amongst the fans almost instantly and if the first half doesn't go too well, even if we are not losing, then there are often boos.

I think Newcastle suffer from similar in that there is an expectancy level that is way beyond the capability of some of the players and they can’t handle it.

But I wonder where that heightened level of expectancy comes from?

Oh yeah.

delph-kit-launch-copy.jpg

Did worse than Advocat at Sunderland with arguably a better squad. Advocat came in later and with I would argue some harder fixtures too.

Agree with many on here that Sherwood isn't a tactician, and relies on motivation which works well in the short term but becomes less effective over time.

Edited by mykeyb
Syntax

he's probably more of a coach than a manager, but we have Ray Wilkins also who you'd of thought would be able to provide the missing experience.

I'm not happy with what he is doing now, but he played a big part in bringing some potentially very good players to the club and to some degree he kept us in the league last season, it wasn't all about Benteke even if the coincidental return to match fitness and match sharpness cannot be understated, Sherwood managed to get a number of players playing well and passing/running beyond the halfway line. I don't want to ignore that fact even if i can't properly quantify his impact, or really endorse his contribution so far this season.

what seems baffling is if he set us up to play the way he did last season with the new set of players you'd think we'd have a better chance of winning!

• Like 2

Our PR team have done themselves no favours amongst the core fans, some of our ridiculous quoted haunt me.

But to be fair, I don't see them as targeted at us.  I think they're trying to capture the imaginations of new fans.  It probably has worked for some of those, but being one they couldn't pull the wool over...it makes for bad reading.

Did worse than Advocat at Sunderland with arguably a better squad. Advocat came in later and with I would argue some harder fixtures too.

Agree with many on here that Sherwood isn't a tactician, and relies on motivation which works well in the short term but becomes less effective over time.

I would disagree that Advocaat has done a better job, 4 wins in nearly 20 games and looking really hopeless compared to Tim 10 in 25

I have just read his Manager on Monday piece and he is fundamentally blaming the players saying they are not gelling.  Try formulating a way to play, a style of play then picking a settled side for a few weeks with the same formation instead of pissing about.  That might give them a chance to Gel!!

No not really at all. Dunno why people keep making out he saved us from oblivion. 

I don't think that. I don't know who does. He injected a measure of enthusiasm and coaxed some goals out of Tekkers, who still strikes me as a player who has peaked.

We basically stayed up because Hull failed to beat Burnley

We were complete dog shit at the end of the season and relied on other teams results towards the end to get us over the line

Us staying up was anything but convincing we seem to have carried on from last season results wise

• Like 4

No not really at all. Dunno why people keep making out he saved us from oblivion. 

I don't think that. I don't know who does. He injected a measure of enthusiasm and coaxed some goals out of Tekkers, who still strikes me as a player who has peaked.

We basically stayed up because Hull failed to beat Burnley

We were complete dog shit at the end of the season and relied on other teams results towards the end to get us over the line

Us staying up was anything but convincing we seem to have carried on from last season results wise

yep after 38 games the only reason we stayed up was because Hull didnt beat Burnley

• Like 3

For me he really needs to prove himself. He talks as though he is on top of the world and in control, although recently, you can see he has realised its tough at the very top. Personally for me last season he kept us up because he got Benteke firing, an my belief is there isn't a manager in the Premier league (apart from Lambert ofcourse) who couldn't have kept us up with a on fire striker. It was more than obvious Benteke was back to full fitness and promised his big move if he performed, so I doubt Tim had the hardest job with him.

So in reality did Tim really have a tough job in keeping us up, because I know without Benteke he wouldn't have had a f****** clue.

Benteke himself has said that his form was improving anyway, although he did add "Yeah he helped me a lot, but...". I don't think anyone was surprised that Benteke started scoring goals when he did. My guess is the manager didn't have that much to do with it.

I think we probably would still have gone down if Lambert had stayed, but right now it\s looking as though he was possibly the better long term option.

Â