The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

but as much as I dislike Pulis's brand of football he taught Sherwood a lesson today. After Leicester I had hoped to see that he was quick learner but I fear his arrogance and belief that he is a tactical genius will be our undoing.

We conceded a single goal by one of the best strikers in this shitty-arse league. Forgive if I don't freak out.

They were better to the first and second ball all game. They dominated midfield despite all our flair players they made us look poor. Pulis tactically was much better than Sherwood as was Ranieri in the second half v Leicester. As it stands I think Sherwood is tactically inept.

forgive me if I'm wrong but I thought the stats seem to suggest we were the better team in the first half despite the score line?

Everybody saying the squad will get better as the season goes on well I'm afraid it's not that simple as the longer it goes on we will be a team battling for points to remain in the division and then back to the position / excuse sherwood gave last season when he "was unable to play certain players because of the position we were in and the need to get results"

• Like 3

For all the changes we made in the summer. We started yesterday with 8 of our 11 being players who were there last season, so maybe not a huge surprise it looked like a game from last season. 

This is down to a few injuries and a some of our signings not being ready or struggling to adapt, which Sherwood needs to take some responsibility for as he was the one that signed them. Having to rely on the likes of gabby, Westwood and Sanchez in key areas of the pitch is having an impact on us. Again not signing a proven striker is down to Sherwood and its that decision that really is costing us this season. 

It's going to be a struggle for a while but its also only been 6 games. Ayew and Gestede don't look great but all other signings look like they can get us being a better football team. I'm sure soon Veretout will be ready and starting, Gana will be back and Traore will be a regular player for us. I'm confident things will get better. 

• Like 1

He has my backing for as long as he is here but I do have a few concerns atm.

Our front line is woeful. We seem to be using two strikers this season in Gabby and Gestede, both of whom are very one dimensional. This isn't really a problem, a lot of players are. The problem is though that we don't play to their strengths. When Gabby is on the pitch we should be looking for him to run the channels and stretch the defence which we don't seem to do. On the rare occasion that does happen there is nobody in the box. Yesterday we often had Sinclair arriving late and that was it. 

When Rudy was on we don't play to his strengths either and he is even more one dimensional than Gabby. First we start launching the ball up to him which is an issue because he isn't actually that good at holding the ball up or nodding it down. When he does do those things nobody is around him for him to lay it off anyway and we turnover possession. Secondly everyone here knows Rudy scores goals with his head so why do we not have wide players on the pitch (not full backs) winging crosses into the box? 

We do not do the basics of football right and haven't done for years. Until we can do that we need to stop with this convoluted style of football that has no identity.

• Like 1

Baggies dominated us from the opening whistle

Possession means diddlysquat when you only manage to have a only a shot on target every 30 minutes which was the case yesterday does nobody remember the possession football we tried to play towards the end of Lambert's tenure there was not much difference between that and what i seen yesterday

The tesco bags looked comfortable defensively and we made Johnny Evans look like beckenbauer we played right into their hands in the second half by bringing on Gestede defending high balls into the box is meat and drink for any pulis side and we could have played for another 90 minutes like that and never scored

Piss poor performance and things need to improve fast

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 2

I’m not sure if Tim Sherwood thinks he is running a youth academy with so much time on his side to get the players up to speed.

We need  “here and now” players…..We have signed many players that are not up to speed, whilst other clubs with a similar building programme West Ham, Watford  etc seem to be having far more success with gelling to date.

I admire and embrace Tims attacking policy , but I come back to the old football adage “ you have to win the right to play football”…..He needs to embrace and implement that.

We are playing teams right now who are far more comfortable with the physical challenge than us and it is clear which players in our team are shy of it…..we take players out for not scoring or poor distribution, but leave players in constantly for lilly livered displays….This team need to find a decent level of FIGHT from somewhere.

I like Tim’s persona, but I am stating to become unsure of where all this is going. We have to buy in to the fact that the players need time…..whilst looking over our shoulder at other clubs who have managed to get their new players firing much quicker.

I understand that we have not been able to put out our best team, due to injuries, but I also feel, he is unsure what our best team is.

I will continue to support him and hope that our fortune changes…..It could be worse we could have Steve McLaren.

Ps too much sucking up to Tony Pulis in the press yesterday…..I know he needs friends right now ,but not a good sign for me.

• Like 1

The biggest concern for me is we have no direction whatsoever, as others have said Sherwood seems to think that by playing attacking football you'll win more matches than you lose and we'll be right.  Sorry but no, look at Arsenal & Chelsea to see how utterly wrong that mindset is, then look at the quality of players we have....

Sherwood should be an U21 coach where he sell that attack at all costs philosophy and develop players without any real risks.  As a manager / head coach, I'm sorry but he has been utterly found out, everything he has said and done over the past three week leads me believe he has absolutely no idea how to turn this around, and judging by yesterdays performance seems the players are starting the believe that too.

Against Sunderland, one of the worse teams to have graced the PL in recent memory, he showed either extreme naivety or arrogance in failing to adapt after they made major half time changes and came out looking like a different side in the 2nd half.  Yeah we should have won easily and been 4 up in the 1st half, but simple fact they made changes that we didn't or couldn't counter, meant we ended up drawing because of his arrogance or stupidity.

Leicester game for me was when he really showed us what he has to offer the club as a manager.  Taking off Gill to bring on Ayew when trying to protect a 2-0 lead, WTF, I'd really love to hear his rational behind that move i really would.  And leaving Sanchez on when he clearly looked gassed, bring on Hutton for 5 mins, I mean you honestly couldn't make this stuff up.  2-0 up away from home, time to pull up stumps, flood the middle, all you have to do close down spaces and keep the ball, blind freddy can see you need fresh legs in the MIDDLE.  If he thinks the sub he made were going to help us achieve that, then deadset he needs to be locked up in an asylum......  Then he blaming the players for giving the ball away and making stupid mistakes.  Again you could't make it, and I hope he felt sick because that loss was down to him.

It seems he thinks all he has to do is pick his 11, give um a good gee up talk before kick off, and let them get on with on it for 90 mins.

His tactical naivety is simply frightening and has cost us 5 points in the last 3 games, that's a fact, I honestly believe with any other manager in league in charge of the same players we would have beaten Sunderland + Leicester.  

We won't stay up with Sherwood in charge, he just isn't ready and / or capable enough to be managing at this level, that's blindingly obvious.

Our squad still has some weaknesses for sure, but overall with the players we have, we should be around mid table / lower mid table.  For mine the blame lies squarely with Sherwood and everything I've seen so far leads to me to believe only blind luck will see us picking up results from here on in.  As the season progresses he just get found out more frequently and smarter managers will run rings around him tactically.

I really really hope you are wrong but a bit of me thinks you may be right. We just have to hope he will learn.

It was naive by the board to give such a inexperinced manager the job of rebuilding a failing premiership football team. We needed experience, as in Raneri, that guy at West Ham or yes, even Allerdyce. Its like giving a maths teacher the job as the new RBS chairman. To rebuild Villa is a huge job and to think sherwood could turn us into a midtable team within a season is insane. We will struggle to stay up this season, Sherwood is so naive its unreal. He cannot motivate this team.

To me he seems like the guy who shouts his mouth off, threatens to bang you out, then gets hit once and he is out cold. He is not big enough for us and we will suffer.

Or maybe someone like Mark Hughes, Dick Advocaat or Steve McLaren?

• Like 1

It's been 5 consecutive years of utter shit, record breaking lows and struggling to stay in the league. To completely change that in 6 games is probably unfair to ask and expect. 

I'd hope nobody is expecting that but unfortunately for Sherwood he set the bar too high for himself with some of the results and performances that kept us up and got us to the FA Cup final. 

He's struggling to match them now which is making him look like a poor choice for manager, rightly or wrongly.

• Like 1

It's been 5 consecutive years of utter shit, record breaking lows and struggling to stay in the league. To completely change that in 6 games is probably unfair to ask and expect. 

I'd hope nobody is expecting that but unfortunately for Sherwood he set the bar too high for himself with some of the results and performances that kept us up and got us to the FA Cup final. 

He's struggling to match them now which is making him look like a poor choice for manager, rightly or wrongly.

He is but I don't think it's making him look the wrong choice. He saved us last season, has made a lot of positive changes in the summer and deserves the chance to see if those changes can have a positive effect on the football club. 

• Like 1

He is but I don't think it's making him look the wrong choice. He saved us last season, has made a lot of positive changes in the summer and deserves the chance to see if those changes can have a positive effect on the football club. 

I agree with you but others clearly don't at the moment and I can also see their point of view as well.

Lets remember that Sherwood wasn't exactly unanimously supported when he took charge and a lot of the complaints people had then are still relevant now. I just personally believe he needs to be given a fair shot and 6 games isn't it.

• Like 1

Is Tim the nice guy joker all there is, Pulis showed him how an old pro doe's it . Get your basics right run the game from the touchline and react if it is going away from you, overran in midfield and the the gaffer becomes a rabbit in the headlights. Tactics are a major part in this game and the lesson was there for all to see, very average baggies side organised from the touchline were made to look unbeatable . Never understood the Wilkins appointment and the need for a football brain in the set up is paramount, players have to be coached well or they are just another bunch of garbage who run around a field and get beat.

I think Sherwood gas really made a mess of this summer transfers. He has blown 16m on Rudy and ayew who both look average at best. He has a good player that we been chasing all sumner in veretout and foes not play him. In addition he brings in lescott who my opinion has been shit for both games. Should bring Clark back for blose with Richards.

and his dubs are a joke, bacuna when we are losing the game. It's a complete farce

For me Tim has to grow a pair and drop Guzan, Gabby and possibly Westwood. Veretout and Ayew aren't going to get up to speed by not playing. Gana and Sachez should boss the midfield, and without Westwood we could afford Grealish/Sinclair, Gil and Adama in a midfield with whoever Grabs the opportunity upfront.

Sherwood will sort them out. His sound bites show he is already feeling the pressure, but surely based on Lambert, he will last until Feb even if we lose every game?!

I agree with the point about Veretout and Ayew - we need to give them a run to see what they can do.  We have written players like Ayew off far too quickly IMO. Ayew is a striker so play him there (maybe with Kozak if we want two).  I know people say Ayew is off the pace but he needs games and the backing of the manager to see what he can do.  What have we got to lose?  If he doesn't come off as a forward he will probably be somewhere around Gabby's level, but at least with him there is a chance he could actually be better than we think and start scoring goals!  Same with Veratout. Give him a run of games.  It's very risky, I know, but we bought players like Veretout for a reason and our current plan is not working.

Why are people saying that Sherwood thinks attacking football will win us games when I have yet to see any attacking football from us this season. Instead I've seen a team of individuals who lack energy, intent and a wanting to win. There is little organisation, movement or desire in this team and the spine of the team is soft and weak.

Â