The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Whilst true, the previous manager had the old injuries/spending excuse as a reply for 'bad fortune', where-as Sherwood has had injuries too and has spent **** all.

I find it interesting how long it took Lambert to start getting serious criticism and how quickly some want to give it to Sherwood.
Mate, we just got smashed 6-1. Lambert took a hammering after the Chelsea 8-0 and rightly so. However, he is also getting lots and lots of praise for the work he had done. Again rightly so.

We are Premier League thanks to him. It's still OK to be annoyed at taking a pasting yesterday, especially those who travelled and nobody is calling "Sherwood Out" because of it!

I think those who travelled have a right to be annoyed but like I said, as soon as the spurs whistle went the result is meaningless. Its been a hard task, that didn't look achievable a few months back. Now it has been, along with getting us playing great stuff and to a cup final I have no idea why anyone (apart from those that went) would want to focus on it or criticise the manager for it.

Because this is a forum and it's a place for everyone to vent their opinions on the manager, good or bad?

I don't think only fans who went to the game have the right to criticise, we're all villa fans.

Yeah I worded it wrong. Everyone has a right to be annoyed I just dont get why people want to criticise him after doing such a fantastic job. Obviously everyone can if they want but it makes little sense to me. He's done everything asked of him and more.

If course we still have a right to criticise after such an embarrassing result, no team in the league should lose in that manner.

However, as much as sherwood is to blame tactically yesterday, he isnt to blame for sloppy individual errors, which had a hand in pretty much all of the goals we conceded

• Like 2

Whilst true, the previous manager had the old injuries/spending excuse as a reply for 'bad fortune', where-as Sherwood has had injuries too and has spent **** all.

I find it interesting how long it took Lambert to start getting serious criticism and how quickly some want to give it to Sherwood.
Mate, we just got smashed 6-1. Lambert took a hammering after the Chelsea 8-0 and rightly so. However, he is also getting lots and lots of praise for the work he had done. Again rightly so.We are Premier League thanks to him. It's still OK to be annoyed at taking a pasting yesterday, especially those who travelled and nobody is calling "Sherwood Out" because of it!
I think those who travelled have a right to be annoyed but like I said, as soon as the spurs whistle went the result is meaningless. Its been a hard task, that didn't look achievable a few months back. Now it has been, along with getting us playing great stuff and to a cup final I have no idea why anyone (apart from those that went) would want to focus on it or criticise the manager for it.
Because this is a forum and it's a place for everyone to vent their opinions on the manager, good or bad?I don't think only fans who went to the game have the right to criticise, we're all villa fans.
Yeah I worded it wrong. Everyone has a right to be annoyed I just dont get why people want to criticise him after doing such a fantastic job. Obviously everyone can if they want but it makes little sense to me. He's done everything asked of him and more.

You say everyone can if they want but in reality its as if we need to run everything by you first before we can post. You need to chill out and accept that people are going to pick apart things on a forum. Especially when we get battered.

You are right, he has done a fantastic job and it's brilliant we are safe and have a cup final to look forward to but people will rightly discuss that he has made a couple of mistakes. It's to be expected and doesn't detract from the job he has done but people are free to discuss it in the topic dedicated to him and you should back off a bit because tbh it's getting a bit tiresome having to explain it.

It's a great moment in time to be a villa fan after the past 4-5 years of dross but that doesn't mean we can't discuss things and yet still be happy at the same time. If you don't want to discuss all aspects of it (good and bad) then don't post or attack people who do.

The main point again:

You can discuss the mistakes (yes we realise they don't matter to you) while still feeling jubilant about it.

• Like 2

Mate, we just got smashed 6-1. Lambert took a hammering after the Chelsea 8-0 and rightly so. However, he is also getting lots and lots of praise for the work he had done. Again rightly so.We are Premier League thanks to him. It's still OK to be annoyed at taking a pasting yesterday, especially those who travelled and nobody is calling "Sherwood Out" because of it!
Because this is a forum and it's a place for everyone to vent their opinions on the manager, good or bad?I don't think only fans who went to the game have the right to criticise, we're all villa fans.

You say everyone can if they want but in reality its as if we need to run everything by you first before we can post. You need to chill out and accept that people are going to pick apart things on a forum. Especially when we get battered.

You are right, he has done a fantastic job and it's brilliant we are safe and have a cup final to look forward to but people will rightly discuss that he has made a couple of mistakes. It's to be expected and doesn't detract from the job he has done but people are free to discuss it in the topic dedicated to him and you should back off a bit because tbh it's getting a bit tiresome having to explain it.

It's a great moment in time to be a villa fan after the past 4-5 years of dross but that doesn't mean we can't discuss things and yet still be happy at the same time. If you don't want to discuss all aspects of it (good and bad) then don't post or attack people who do.

The main point again:

You can discuss the mistakes (yes we realise they don't matter to you) while still feeling jubilant about it.

Spot on Richie boy  B)

I think to summarise;

With Lambert a played 10 games would result in W D D D L D L D D L (9pts)

With Sherwood it'd be more likely                          W L D W L W L W W L (16pts)

He will always 'go for it' so we're going to see a lot more wins, a lot more losses and very few draws. They'll be a few 'humiliations' by teams who read us but us ultimately more points on the board.

What concerns me most is one type of team will destroy is; passing teams. Grafting teams we'll compete with, counter attacking teams we'll compete with, teams that come for a draw we'll open up but passing teams will annihilate us. And that bodes very badly for the FA Cup Final.

It'll be interesting to see how he sets us out in the final, if we try to defend the half way line against arsenal, they'll kill us.  We have the players to keep the ball ourselves so I don't see why it'd be a problem for us to not concede space in behind and start building from further back when we have the ball. Pressing up field to win it back is obviously key, but leaving a suicidal amoutn of space between the back 4 and your keeper is a different thing.

Reading all the people tearing holes in his poor tactics and inability to change things up, the way I see it, his tactics and management are a part of the reason we lost yesterday. They are also part of the reason we're in the FA Cup final and are officially safe after winning 4 of the previous 5 games.

So yesterday was terrible and frustrating, horrible to listen to let alone watch, but I'll take that after 2 months of complete revival. Without everything else he's done I'd have lost interest in football and wouldn't have bothered tuning in to the game.

True, however, it is a huge part of being a manager to be able to see when something isn't working and changing it. It's also you're job to determine what part of you're set up that the opposition will exploit the best and try to minimise that.

Yes, Sherwood has done really well so far, and his set up is a big reason why we stayed up and are in the FA Cup final, but it is naive to expect to be able to go into every game the same way and not have teams match up better and exploit you're weaknesses. In our case, a high line with slow defenders. After the first couple of goals Sherwood should have told the defence to just step back 5 or 10 yards and minimise the space behind. He didn't and we conceded 6 because of it.

We set up like that for the final, and Arsenal will tear us a new one.

We didn't concede all six because of a high line, though, did we!?

Maybe not all 6, but that's missing the point. We were set up in a way that Southampton could exploit, and they did over and over, Koeman even said so after the game and Sherwood didn't change it. Not saying Sherwood is a bad manager or that he's been shit, but it was extremely naive to set up like we did and to persist when it was so clearly not working.

• Like 3

We most likely would've been relegated if we'd kept with Lambert but that has nothing to do with today's result. Sherwood messed up and deserves criticism today for it.

Haha why? We've survived, job complete. Today's result means nothing.

Why some are so eager to want to have a go at him is beyond me.

Still want Gill here ahead of him?

Why are you so surprised that people are criticising one of the worst villa performances many of us have ever seen?
Because it makes no difference. I keep reading he deserves criticism. Why? Why do you want to go out of your way to criticise him. He's done a great job and completed the difficult task set for him. Why do you want to criticise him after that? What do you get from it after we've survived?

Its not his team, its not something he's built over years. He's come into a difficult situation and been excellent. It hasn't always been great. So what?

But nobody is criticising the job he's done. Everyone is agreeing he's done an excellent job.

But that doesn't mean we're not allowed to criticise anything. That's blind faith.

Which is the irony.

You can't seem to understand that people can be 100% behind the manager and still constructively criticise performances.

Just like under the previous manager you couldn't understand people wanting him out but not thinking absolutely everything he did was bad.

Not everything is black and white. I'm behind Sherwood. He's done an excellent job and its overwhelmingly positive.

But that doesn't mean I can't see how terrible we were yesterday. It doesn't change how I judge what he's done with the club.

The irony is the amount of times you accused people of blindly following Lambert and not being able to see the negatives. And that's exactly what you're doing with Sherwood.

• Like 4

Reading all the people tearing holes in his poor tactics and inability to change things up, the way I see it, his tactics and management are a part of the reason we lost yesterday. They are also part of the reason we're in the FA Cup final and are officially safe after winning 4 of the previous 5 games.

So yesterday was terrible and frustrating, horrible to listen to let alone watch, but I'll take that after 2 months of complete revival. Without everything else he's done I'd have lost interest in football and wouldn't have bothered tuning in to the game.

I don't have a problem with how we set up.

It's the 90 minutes of changing nothing that is the part to be criticised. I hope he learns from that.

Its very similar to the arsenal game earlier in the season. Battered for 90 minutes but a refusal to change things.

We didn't concede all six because of a high line, though, did we!?

Maybe not all 6, but that's missing the point. We were set up in a way that Southampton could exploit, and they did over and over, Koeman even said so after the game and Sherwood didn't change it. Not saying Sherwood is a bad manager or that he's been shit, but it was extremely naive to set up like we did and to persist when it was so clearly not working.

Well I'm glad you agree we didn't concede ALL six because of the high line.

The problem is, the defence costing us 3 goals in as many minutes automatically makes it night on impossible to recover from.  None of that was due to tactics as such, it was just total piss poor play from the defence. 

• Like 4

Been enjoying the football played that I forgot sherwood was manager when we lost to arenal at villa park - seems such a long time ago I'd blotted the crap performances from my old memory!!

The problem is, the defence costing us 3 goals in as many minutes automatically makes it night on impossible to recover from. None of that was due to tactics as such, it was just total piss poor play from the defence.

Someone else said this.

Yes those 3 goals put the game beyond us. But it wasn't as if we were only poor for those 3 goals. We were bad for 90 minutes yesterday.

Â