The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Not sure what's so hilarious, unless you had a look at some of the things you said and how wrong you were? I could imagine that could have you rolling around laughing.

I've already addressed your point scoring:

I've admitted plenty of times that I was completely wrong about Sherwood's appointment (including a number of posts in this very conversation, but I assume that's comething else you're choosing to ignore). I understand you thrive on point scoring, but continually bringing my posts up from 4 months ago doesn't really work when I already fully acknowledge how wrong they were, especially when they're completely irrelevant to the conversation. In fact, it comes across as incredibly petty.

so let's leave it there.

Okay, so we played with a high line which in retrospect didn't work out well for us, hindsight is a great thing and I didn't see too many people calling for changes to the lineup and/or approach before 12.45pm yesterday, aside of course from the Gil appreciation brigade.

Tactics or not tactics you cannot legislate for the shocking defending we saw yesterday, to a man the defence were shite, highlighted by Vlaar's awful backpass for the second goal.

The first goal was highly fortunate in the way it rebounded into Mane's path, the second goal as aforementioned was a calamity from Vlaar (even then, it again rebounded luckily into Mane's path) and you could argue that Given could have been stronger, the third goal was decent but the defence was again all at sea, I honestly can't remember the fourth and the fifth was the greatest goal Long has and will ever score (he just loves raising his game against us doesn't he?!).

The sixth was again just shit defending, no-one picked up the run of Pelle, he was all alone 8 yards out.

I'm not going to defend Sherwood, as Manager he has to shoulder the blame but I don't buy that his tactics lost us the game, it was shit defending all ends up.

Unfortunately and as per my fears pre-game I think the lads mentally weren't there and assumed the job had been done (which in hindsight it was/has), I just hope they can switch back on for the Cup final.

• Like 3

Like has been said a few times I don't think people are too upset with the tactics in terms of how we started. I'm certainly not.

Yes it was wrong in hindsight but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

The disappointing thing for many is that after 20-25 minutes it was clear to everyone watching that our tactics were not working at all, but nothing was changed.

I haven't even really seen him being criticized for yesterday. Most people just seem to be saying that it was a bad day at the office and that they hope he learns from his mistakes.

Exactly. That's literally all it is.

I said numerous times go ahead, I just find it strange that people want to.  I'd much rather focus on the brilliant job he's done and what we might be able to achieve with him for the future.

Again, which is ironic because that's mainly what people were doing, despite pointing out the negatives of yesterday's game, until you threw your toys out of the pram and decided we weren't allowed to say anything bad about the manager after we got humped 6-1

I asked why you'd want to be critical?  Same thing i'd ask if people were being critical of benteke, grealish, delph or cleverly after yesterdays game.  

6 - 1.

SIX - ONE

3 minute hat-trick maybe?

p.s. I think Sherwood has done an incredible job so far and long may it continue.

On 29th April 1978 we beat FA Cup finalists Ipswich Town 6-1 at Villa Park. The following week on 6th May Ipswich beat Arsenal 1-0 to win the cup. Just saying.

are you saying it's a sign? :D

But like I just said, it's not hindsight. That's a feeble get out. As the game was being played it was obvious.

Hindsight would be saying 'We would have won if we played 5-3-2'. We might have done, or we could have lost 10-0. We'll never know.

Seeing at the time that we were getting murdered from playing such a high line is an observation, not hindsight.

Yes  I remember the 6-1. i don't think Ipswich made a tackle all game. 

much the same as us yesterday.

Yep which was strange unless they all knew Spurs would beat Hull. 

I found it interesting just how long the odds of us winning were yesterday before the game.

We were the form team coming into it and Southampton were playing poorly. Going by form there was only ever 1 winner. Yet we were 4-1 to win. I can imagine quite a few punts on that.

Then we lose in such an inept and incompetent way.

Not seriously suggesting anything by the way. I'm sure wrestling is all kosher too ;)

• Like 1

Even Fergie would've copped criticism after Utd lost 6-1 to City a few years back!

It doesn't matter how well you're doing as a manager, it doesn't matter if you're the best manager to grace the game, if you lose 6-1 the fans are rightfully going to criticise you and question you're tactics/set up.

It was a shit performance but for people to post stuff like "but if hull won then..." is stupid.

We got hammerd played shit but move on now to the next game.

I was plenty critical of Lambert and so far I've been supportive of Sherwood, and of course I'm glad that we're safe. But the fact that we're safe in no way excuses yesterday's performance or makes either the team or the manager immune from criticism. Of course, the manager can't be held responsible for individual errors, but can absolutely be held responsible for the way team is set up, and in my opinion the tactics and shape have to be tailored to the circumstances. For the last few weeks we've been playing high tempo, pressing, attacking football, and it's worked really well, but this week we were playing away against a team known for fast breaks, with a defence that featured two players coming back from injury, one of whom was being played out of position. Perhaps those weren't the right circumstances to play a high defensive line or gung ho attacking football.

Sherwood isn't solely to blame for the result yesterday - as someone else said there's of plenty blame to go round - but I think he was partly to blame, and to me there's no dichotomy in being happy with the job he's done overall but unhappy with the job he did yesterday.

• Like 2

You'll see if he has learnt his lesson in the cup final. If we play with such a high line against Arsenal, we will get crucified. Playing an on form Arsenal team needs a tactical manager, because to me on form they are the best team in the league. Will test Sherwoods strengths this one!

I think to summarise;

With Lambert a played 10 games would result in W D D D L D L D D L (9pts)

With Sherwood it'd be more likely                          W L D W L W L W W L (16pts)

He will always 'go for it' so we're going to see a lot more wins, a lot more losses and very few draws. They'll be a few 'humiliations' by teams who read us but us ultimately more points on the board.

What concerns me most is one type of team will destroy is; passing teams. Grafting teams we'll compete with, counter attacking teams we'll compete with, teams that come for a draw we'll open up but passing teams will annihilate us. And that bodes very badly for the FA Cup Final.

not so sure, people would consider Liverpool and Spurs passing teams. What we have got done with under Sherwood is mainly pace. Stoke, QPR, Swansea and Southampton all exposed it but it can be retified in summer

I'm terrified of making a post and it being pulled up a year later because once somebody has stated something on this forum, that is their opinion forever and it can't be changed.

Or something like that.

(sherwood has done an amazing job)

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

Â