The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Swansea are a decent side, and generally outplayed us. However, we put in a decent performance, especially on the break, and could easily have won it. Gomis and Sinclair both missed a number of decent opportunities. I would have to say though that overall if one team had to win it, it was them. They definitely shaded it, but we were close to getting a draw, and no one could really have considered that unfair.

We played with a lot of heart, just not the ability and flair shown recently, for much of the game, but you could see it all coming apart before the goal.

Was not really expecting anything from this game, so not too disappointed. Plenty of ups and downs to come before the end of the season, and I still think Sherwood can pull us through.

The referee was awful and was loudly booed and at one point he got a virtual standing ovation for giving us a free kick. Even though they shaded possession we had loads of chances and could have snatched it as Sherwood said I can't wait wait to get something we don't deserve. First half we were off the pace but were a lot better 2nd half. Not having a left back is hurting as it stops the natural flow of the game with who ever is playing there coming inside. The 2 injuries knackered our subs so all in all it was meant to be our day but if you can't win it we should edge on the side of caution and not lose every point is vital!!

I'm still finding the refusal to play Gil pretty irksome, and I think he should have been smarter to see the game out yesterday when Swansea were on top going into the last 15. Still, it was not a bad performance by any means. I'll be interested to see how we set up against United, although the QPR game in the week looks absolutely massive now. If we play even as well as we did yesterday we should just about have enough. If we play as against the Baggies in the cup and Sunderland we'll certainly be fine. 

Edited by PatrickCousens
  • Like 2

Can't knock him too much so far.

Largely good performances, with differing styles which is a rarity! Tactical switches which work and look like they change our play. Lovely stuff. He wants it as well, he really wants it.

But I'm sorry, his subs have not been good enough.

Subs remains a weak point.

Can't knock him too much so far.

Largely good performances, with differing styles which is a rarity! Tactical switches which work and look like they change our play. Lovely stuff. He wants it as well, he really wants it.

But I'm sorry, his subs have not been good enough.

Subs remains a weak point.

Yeah, he does seem to get them wrong every game doesn't he. 

One thing that I've noticed under Sherwood is that my mood is once again linked to a ridiculous level to how Villa did in their last game.

It always used to be like this, and whenever I reflected on it I always found it daft - a grown man, with family, work, responsibilities, having his mood shaped so fundamentally by how well 11 millionaires from a completely different social world kicked a ball around for an hour and a half. But there it was. Just part of being a fan. Although it was stupid, I was also quite proud of it - how connected I felt at an emotional level to my club.

For a good while before Sherwood joined, though, it had changed a bit. I was numbed to utterly dreadful performances and results and I had no real expectations of any other than failure for the club. Matches were pretty dispiriting, but I'd kind of excised its influence on my day-to-day life. Now it feels like because the hope is back it's all come crashing back on top of me again. So I am blaming Sherwood directly for the fact that I feel really pissed off this morning. Not even for the result, but for bringing back a sense of hope that has let all of this back into my life. Bastard!

• Like 3

Yeah Swansea are a good side. Double over Mancs this year, recently won away at Soton and now a double over our mightyness.

It just doesnt matter whos in charge though, AVFC will always concede late goals that cost us points.

That's because every team does. I've never seen any evidence that we are any better or worse at it than anyone else, relative to league position at the time.

• Like 1

I havent looked for any evidence but i would bet we do it more than anyone else over the course of a season.

What are we betting? Bearing in mind I did say relative to our position in the table. It is important to note that poor teams are going to conceed more late goals, but you allowed for that in your opening statement.

How far are we going back? 10 seasons? Seems fair.

It happened to QPR and Hull yesterday, if you count the 77th minute which given the situation - going behind, fighting back only to be dealt a sucker punch with 13 minutes to go - I would like to.

It happens a lot, trust me.

Edit - Sunderland lost to an 88th minute gutter on Saturday. The better the team, the less it will happen. We're currently used to being shit.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

Yeah Swansea are a good side. Double over Mancs this year, recently won away at Soton and now a double over our mightyness.

It just doesnt matter whos in charge though, AVFC will always concede late goals that cost us points.

Meh, they have a few good players as us, with a decent manager. Their team isn't amazing really when you look at their side, Premier League seems to have regressed alot the few years, you can clearly see that based on English teams results in europe recently. I think its easier for average sides to do well now.

Edited by villalad21

I think when you analyse the way we play, we are always susceptible to late goals....we are a very open team.

some of our fans like that they see it as exciting....as do Albion fans, watching Albion of course.

I find it a bit naive bordering on sloppy....the amount of times we give the ball away unforced is a concern imo, particularly when we play a team like Swansea who deny you space.

........under Sir Ron we went 1 goal up at home it was all over.

Edited by TRO

I bet of all the Premier League era clubs that have never been relegated, we have given up the most goals in the last 5 minutes of games. Not sure where I can look to confirm this suspicion though... :detect:

Is our new found optimism built on the flimsy foundations of a woeful Sunderland ...and a very poor away from home WBA....?......hardly a brave new world is it ?

You seem to be forgetting that we lost 7 league games in a row prior to those 2 wins.

These things can be spun both way. West Brom was a local derby so winning that wasn't exactly a given and despite how poor Sunderland are winning 4-0 away at a relegation rival is a pretty big positive.

We're certainly in a far better place than we were a month and a half ago under Lambert.

Beating the "shit" teams is hardly overstated given how shit we've been for so long.  It's barely been a couple of months since you'd have put us down for losses against WBA and sunderland, certainly the former.

I'm not gonna crash down on one defeat.  I wasn't even keen on the idea of Sherwood at the time, but the progression he has already shown gives me the belief that we have what it takes to beat enough of the "shit" teams for the remainder of the season and just about stay up.  That in itself is a pretty big deal, as I was resigned to going down...and many of us were trying to look to the positives (as fans) of going to chumpionship games when deep down we know that would be a disaster for our club.

Not expecting nothing at Manchester, so I hope Tim can get the boys fired up for the game to give it their best shot and maybe toy with something new.  Might as well go for broke, and see if we can pull off a masterstroke - but QPR we must go and win.

My optimism is at an all time high, really...though that isn't difficult lol.

Â