The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Lol people think Van Gaal is actually good now?

WTF, Luis Van Gaal? this Luis Van Gaal?

Managerial honours

Club

Ajax

Eredivisie: 1993–94, 1994–95, 1995–96

KNVB Cup: 1992–93

Johan Cruijff Shield: 1993, 1994, 1995

UEFA Champions League: 1994–95

UEFA Cup: 1991–92

UEFA Super Cup: 1995

Intercontinental Cup: 1995

Barcelona

La Liga: 1997–98, 1998–99

Copa del Rey: 1997–98

UEFA Super Cup: 1997

AZ

Eredivisie: 2008–09

Bayern Munich

Bundesliga: 2009–10

DFB-Pokal: 2009–10

DFB-Supercup: 2010

International

Netherlands

FIFA World Cup third place: 2014

Awards and achievements

World Soccer Manager of the Year: 1995[93]

Onze d'Or Coach of the Year: 1995[94]

Rinus Michels Award: 2007, 2009[95]

Dutch Sports Coach of the Year: 2009, 2014[96][97]

Die Sprachwahrer des Jahres (3rd place): 2009[98]

German Football Manager of the Year: 2010[99]

The one who created the just incredible Ajax that last won the champions league for them? The one who's won trophies in 3 countries and managed some of the biggest teams in world football? 

Yeah actually I do think he's "good now".

Back in the **** 90s. Do you know how much managing the sport has changed since then? He was considered a failure at Bayern when managed there. Lacklustre at Barcelona, and he's done a pretty horrid job at Manure. 

He is a coach that is far beyond his golden days. His strategies do not work in modern football. 

Well it was glaringly obvious we needed Lambert out and a change.

We missed a trick not doing this earlier in the season (or in the summer it should have been imo). But the board obviously had faith PL could turn it around. Oh well we are where we are now and we have to get behind timmeh gillet. Truth is no one knows what impact he will have on what is a sufficient playing staff that should be able to get us out of the bottom 3. So many people like to make predictions on whats going to happen but no one knows. There werent many options out there for us to consider but im glad we got someone in who knows the English game rather than taking a punt on a foreigner. At least he wont have favourites who will play every week regardless of form. Im pretty sure he will go into this in a positive manner and we just have to believe the players will take to his methods and start enjoying playing football again. It will also be nice to have a manager who will proactive with in-game management, someone who will counteract the opposing sides' tactics and changes- something Lambert never did and probably cost us a lot of the time.

Welcome Sherwood, and good luck

There are calculated risks and there are blind gambles. I think we have gone with the latter, but sometimes they give the most excitement.

WBA went for a calculated risk with Pepe Mel.

Who would most rather have, Pepe Mel or Tim Sherwood?

I'm in the same boat as most people, in that he wasn't my first choice. However, I'm actually quite optimistic and hopeful.

As someone said last night, we have the players to play well, they're just severely lacking confidence and the tactics/coaching appears non-existent. Sherwood will bring confidence, coaching and (by default, as Lambert's weren't working) new tactics.

If he pisses a few people off, so what?

If a few players don't buy into his plans to make us better, and they get frozen out, good!

If he wears a gilet and talks about apples and pears, so what!?

I can see why some people are sceptical, as his managerial career has been very short, but he's supposedly been a very good coach for a number of years (you don't get given the interim Spurs job unless you're one one of, if not the best, coach in their back room staff).

Good luck Tim! I think you'll get some of our lads firing and I hope you prove your doubters wrong.

• Like 1

Disappointed that we went British. Again. It's like going to an ice-cream shop, looking at all the different flavours and deciding to really spice things up....

....by ordering a slightly different flavour of the usual vanilla.

I'm hoping he can shake things up nonetheless. Good Luck, Tim.

Managerial honours

Club

Ajax

Barcelona

AZ

Bayern Munich

International

Netherlands

Awards and achievements

The one who created the just incredible Ajax that last won the champions league for them? The one who's won trophies in 3 countries and managed some of the biggest teams in world football? 

Back in the **** 90s. Do you know how much managing the sport has changed since then? He was considered a failure at Bayern when managed there. Lacklustre at Barcelona, and he's done a pretty horrid job at Manure. 

He is a coach that is far beyond his golden days. His strategies do not work in modern football. 

Won the league plus other trophies with both Bayern and Barcelona, his out of date tactics were one of the best things to watch in the world cup.

Just out of interest if Van Gaal isn't a good manager, who is?

Well Tim is now the manager of Aston Villa, he might not be everyone's cup of tea but he is our new manager so lets get behind him. If he can improve on the anti football we have been playing and tell it like it is ( instead of we played well and we will go again) then that will be an improvement.

If we go on to lose every game and not score then fair enough but the bloke has just been given the job if you dont like if go support small heath!!!

• Like 1

Is it all football fans or just Villa ones that seem intent on planting their flag one side or the other and not budging?

I think he's a cock, but nobody can know what will happen

You'll look a bit silly complaining if he keeps us up.

2 camps seem to form pretty early on VT that's for sure.

There's just nothing to go on really to be able to judge how he'll get on here, hopefully he turns out to be the man who gets us back up near the top of the league again. 

In terms of our survival we NEED this appointment to give us momentum in the next 5 league fixtures, start with a win at Stoke and then who knows. 

He's a million miles away from Lambert in terms of PR, he'll be the media's darling but if I'm honest I'd prefer the criticism stayed in the dressing room, but I may be old school in that regard.

Managerial honours

Club

Ajax

Barcelona

AZ

Bayern Munich

International

Netherlands

Awards and achievements

People come out with some pretty embarrassing comments on this forum but that's next level. Lol.

• Like 3

One thing I hope for is not relying on the full backs for creativity.

Based on his time at Spurs I think that is unlikely. He won't try to be too clever tactically, it will be a variation of 4-4-2 utilising width and pace. They were a bit swashbuckling, there won't be many 0-0's that's for sure.

I was chatting with my mate last night and we decided he is the Anti-Lambert in almost every sense. If you can put your prejudices aside it should be fun. When was the last time we had fun?

Is it all football fans or just Villa ones that seem intent on planting their flag one side or the other and not budging?

I think he's a cock, but nobody can know what will happen

You'll look a bit silly complaining if he keeps us up.

2 camps seem to form pretty early on VT that's for sure.

There's just nothing to go on really to be able to judge how he'll get on here, hopefully he turns out to be the man who gets us back up near the top of the league again.

In terms of our survival we NEED this appointment to give us momentum in the next 5 league fixtures, start with a win at Stoke and then who knows.

He's a million miles away from Lambert in terms of PR, he'll be the media's darling but if I'm honest I'd prefer the criticism stayed in the dressing room, but I may be old school in that regard.

Is that old school? Managers used to be much more forthcoming with criticism. Back when footballers were men that is.

Personally couldn't give a shit about the PR and I'm already over thinking that he's a prick. If the football is fun and we score goals and pick up points then I'm happy.

• Like 1

Still so much negativity..some of these posts are mind boggling.

Slating our new manager before hes even started, some of our fans are a joke

Interesting. I don't see negativity. Nor do I see 2 camps

What I do see is people saying they are disappointed as he was not their first choice - but they all want him to prove them wrong.

So there seems to be only 1 camp: People hoping we do well under Tim.

• Like 2

Well Tim is now the manager of Aston Villa, he might not be everyone's cup of tea but he is our new manager so lets get behind him. If he can improve on the anti football we have been playing and tell it like it is ( instead of we played well and we will go again) then that will be an improvement.

If we go on to lose every game and not score then fair enough but the bloke has just been given the job if you dont like if go support small heath!!!

I saw one of his interviews where they had won and when asked about the game he said it was good to win but, he was more pleased with the way in which they played entertaining football, which was important to him.

Let's face it, entertainment is something that Villa fans have been denied for quite some time. Whether he can bring that or not is a different matter because we don't have the quality of players that Spurs have.

I'll say this for him. He seems honest and to the point. It will upset the shirkers and please the workers. To get a good squad of decent and honest players he will need time. So, with that in mind, can we please not crucify the man until he's at least had chance to get rid of those that aren't worth the shirt. Now, that might mean we get relegated. If we do, the blame cannot lie totally with him. Most of the damage was done before he came here and he's bought none of those players that he will have to get playing for him.

He wasn't my idea of a manager for us but, to be fair, I don't know who was. Therefore, I'm going to give Tim Sherwood plenty of time to get to where he wants to be at the Villa, even if we get relegated.

Edited by villarocker
  • Like 1

One thing I hope for is not relying on the full backs for creativity.

Based on his time at Spurs I think that is unlikely. He won't try to be too clever tactically, it will be a variation of 4-4-2 utilising width and pace. They were a bit swashbuckling, there won't be many 0-0's that's for sure.

I was chatting with my mate last night and we decided he is the Anti-Lambert in almost every sense. If you can put your prejudices aside it should be fun. When was the last time we had fun?

Hoping it works out then. Next week Vrs Stoke is the one I am looking forward to. It'll be the first time we have played 442 in a while I think?

Â