New manager

reykjavik

i would rather have mccoist than lennon but thats not gonna happen. people want passion? dont get anymore passionate than ally coist i would be very suprised if we wanted mccoist though

one name not mentioned martinez. eveton fans not very happy with him i wonder if lerner would pay the comp to try get him as i cant see martinez there in next few years

I see that CIty and Man Utd are meant to be eyeing the Real Madrid Manager, we should be sorted by the time that particular merry go round starts though.

Whadafuq

Say United get Ancelotti that leaves Van Gaal needing a job, we might not get him ourselves but might get the guy who he replaces at some European club perhaps. That's what I meant by merry-go-round. Despite people making jokes about lack of Premier League experience I do have a feeling that we're going to pull a big name out the hat, my guess is Klinsmann. Either that or someone from leftfield.

Oooookaaayy, must just be me then that doesn't see a fantasy future hypothesis as having any bearing on our search for a manager, I think you're fishing in the wrong pool dude

It's only football so just a bit of harmless fun so if things don't go as I think then no harm done to me. But I do think we really could be getting a big name, you don't get rid of Lambert for just anyone.

Rightyo

When Southampton lost Pochettino in the summer they didn't cry about it and open the yellow pages looking for an out of work british manager, they opened their eyes to build on the Pochettino 18 months and went and got a proven european pedigree manager in Koeman.

Saw an article on saints and they have this huge computer database on managers , players and how they would fit their club

Saints have already identified Koemans successor and probably that persons successor as well

Interesting insight and worth googling the article on yahoo

Sounds interesting. Had a quick Google but came up short, don't suppose you have the link?

Edited by penguin

Tim Sherwood in Aston Villa frame as club seeks swift appointment

Stuart James

@StuartJamesGNM

Thursday 12 February 2015 21.17 GMT

Aston Villa have not ruled out the possibility of naming a new manager before Sunday’s FA Cup fifth-round tie at home against Leicester City but the Midlands club would prefer that Paul Lambert’s replacement is a long-term appointment rather than a stop-gap until the end of the season.

Tom Fox, Villa’s chief executive, is tasked with leading that search for a new manager, assisted by Paddy Reilly, the club’s director of recruitment. There is an acceptance within the club that it is a tough managerial landscape and that, with only 13 league games remaining, Villa stuck in the bottom three and the transfer window closed, the timing is difficult.

Villa, however, are doing all they can to make a swift decision and have drawn up a shortlist of names with an open mind about how quickly the process can be completed and whether they can appoint someone capable of keeping the team up this season as well as buying into a longer-term strategy. The fall-back option – and it appears the more likely outcome at the moment – is to bring in a firefighter with a remit that does not extend beyond keeping Villa up.

For now Tim Sherwood remains the frontrunner, although Chris Ramsey’s decision to take the Queens Park Rangers job until the end of the season means the former Tottenham Hotspur manager would need to find a new No2. Ramsey was also seen as the coach in that partnership. There is no substance to speculation that Sam Allardyce, the West Ham United manager, is under consideration.

Villa want to bring in a manager who is keen to bring through younger players, prepared to work closely with Reilly – who returned to the club from Liverpool in November – and someone who is comfortable operating in a structure that will also see a director of football operations appointed.

Fox, meanwhile, appears to have upset Lambert after sacking him over the telephone – the Scot released a statement via the League Managers’ Association in which he pointedly made no mention of the chief executive. However, it is understood that Lambert did not get on the team bus and return to the Midlands with the Villa players after the 2-0 defeat at Hull City on Tuesday night.

With the Villa squad not due to train until Friday morning and Lambert not around on Wednesday – it is unclear whether he returned to Scotland – Fox was unable to break the news to the manager face to face.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/feb/12/tim-sherwood-aston-villa-manager

Edited by Isa

Gregg Evans Kamraan Ahmed Plenty of names flying around. Sherwood is the bookies favourite and Klinsmann is the fans choice. I know a lot of unemployed managers have shown an interest but Villa are looking at the two I've mentioned plus the likes of Hoddle, Dyche, and a few others.

-------

Keeping Villa in the Premier League is the main objective right now but there will also be an eye on the future. My story at 10.30pm tonight will explain more.

----------

Gregg Evans Tom Fox is in Birmingham doing most of the work right now. I'd expect Lerner will be over at some point.

https://www.facebook.com/events/782796988467429/permalink/782797495134045/

Edited by DK82

I see that CIty and Man Utd are meant to be eyeing the Real Madrid Manager, we should be sorted by the time that particular merry go round starts though.

Whadafuq

Say United get Ancelotti that leaves Van Gaal needing a job, we might not get him ourselves but might get the guy who he replaces at some European club perhaps. That's what I meant by merry-go-round. Despite people making jokes about lack of Premier League experience I do have a feeling that we're going to pull a big name out the hat, my guess is Klinsmann. Either that or someone from leftfield.

Oooookaaayy, must just be me then that doesn't see a fantasy future hypothesis as having any bearing on our search for a manager, I think you're fishing in the wrong pool dude

It's only football so just a bit of harmless fun so if things don't go as I think then no harm done to me. But I do think we really could be getting a big name, you don't get rid of Lambert for just anyone.

Rightyo

I'm just kind of hoping that useless is joking with us, because it's fairly clear to see that Man United and Man City's situations with their respective managers doesn't have any impact on us. None.

We don't get big names anymore useless. I hope you get the fact that in terms of prospective employers, we're on a par with Stoke City or Sunderland? Less in fact.

I suppose this is stating the obvious, but the harder I study it, the more I think the manager issue is a very serious problem and there just are NO obvious candidates who a) are able to come to Villa Park; B) want to come; c) would ever be asked.

Regarding Klinsmann ...

I have seen absolutely ZERO credible information to suggest concretely that there is a snowball's chance that Klinsmann would come to Villa.

Can someone show me the evidence otherwise, apart from bookies' guesses? Am I missing something?

Serving as chief of the US National squad, unless I'm mistaken, probably would pay more, esp. when you consider various endorsement deals, etc etc., depending on what kind deal he could get with Lerner. He currently makes £1.5 million as head coach of US soccer -- I think that's about $1m more a year than Lambert was making this year.

Lambert to Guardiola would be an organic progession. Ronaldo and messi would be more of a shock to the system but as you say would probably keep us in the division.

Trouble would be if we signed those two, other players would want matching wages and we'd have an upset dressing room. This never happened when we were signing players like Bowery.

But back to having no balls for the local press. 

On Lerner:

Whadafuq

Rightyo

I'm just kind of hoping that useless is joking with us, because it's fairly clear to see that Man United and Man City's situations with their respective managers doesn't have any impact on us. None.

We don't get big names anymore useless. I hope you get the fact that in terms of prospective employers, we're on a par with Stoke City or Sunderland? Less in fact.

But have you not read what I actually wrote? I'm not saying we'd get the United or City manager but perhaps the manager that maybe Van Gaal would replace at another European club if  he were to leave United. And don't worry about what facts I get, it's only football : )

Tim Sherwood in Aston Villa frame as club seeks swift appointment

Stuart James

@StuartJamesGNM

Thursday 12 February 2015 21.17 GMT

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/feb/12/tim-sherwood-aston-villa-manager

English football journalism, such a flippin' joke ... not one SINGLE SOURCE identified, not one. It's all "Villa think" this and "the feeling is" -- yeah, really? Since when do football clubs think?

• Like 1