Aston Villa finances YE 2014

jackbauer24

Interesting and quite depressing really. The gulf between the top 6 and everyone else is huge.

Also, this bit should be quoted to those people who still insist that lerner is somehow making money from the club

Although Randy Lerner did not inject any additional funds into Villa in 2013/14, he has been a most generous owner. On top of the initial £66 million paid to acquire the club in 2006, he has put in the best part of £300 million, split between £125.5 million of share capital, £114.5 million of loan notes and £46 million loans from the parent undertaking. In addition, he has cancelled repayment of £97.5 million of loans.
  • Like 2

I think the most worrying bit of the whole thing is that the majority of our increased revenue is TV money. Which everybody gets.

We haven't really increased our revenue by other means, which is what's going to make the difference vs other clubs.

I think the most worrying bit of the whole thing is that the majority of our increased revenue is TV money. Which everybody gets.

We haven't really increased our revenue by other means, which is what's going to make the difference vs other clubs.

I think it will be very difficult to increase other revenue when the team is struggling season after season as it has been now for pretty much the last five years. It can’t be an easy sell can it.

There is so much potential with the club though. It is not so long ago that we had the sixth highest income in the league. It needs us to have some relative success on the pitch which means competing for a Europa league place and when you look at what Southampton are doing this season and Everton have done over many seasons before this one then that should be achievable for a club of our size.

We need to become a team that focuses on cup competitions and entering Europe via those.

What with the Europa league now having the potential entrance to the CL, We could gain entrance to the Europa league much sooner than we would by winning the League Cup than we would by finishing 5th/6th in the league.

Winning cups also brings in more matches, more fans when we go further through the competition and silverware.

We're not going to win the league or even finish top 4 any time soon, we'd be better of finishing mid-table and throwing everything at the cups I think.

• Like 2

Hence the appointment of Fox. Thats what he is here to do. When is the dafabet deal up? Will be interesting to see where we go from there.

Hence the appointment of Fox. Thats what he is here to do. When is the dafabet deal up? Will be interesting to see where we go from there.

Yeah he's our hope at the moment on that front. But as Mark says, without performances on the pitch improving, it'll be a hard sell off the pitch.

We need to become a team that focuses on cup competitions and entering Europe via those.

What with the Europa league now having the potential entrance to the CL, We could gain entrance to the Europa league much sooner than we would by winning the League Cup than we would by finishing 5th/6th in the league.

Winning cups also brings in more matches, more fans when we go further through the competition and silverware.

We're not going to win the league or even finish top 4 any time soon, we'd be better of finishing mid-table and throwing everything at the cups I think.

Europa league would be the end of us.

You only have to look at what it does to other stable teams, all that travelling, and games adds up.

• Like 1

Doesn't it just show how awful he's been when you look at the money we've lost in order to fight relegation 4 years in a row.

He's entrusted that money to his managers - whom he has shown great faith in - and they have squandered it on poor signings and even poorer football.

Could it be 5th time lucky with Sherwood?

Yeah he's our hope at the moment on that front. But as Mark says, without performances on the pitch improving, it'll be a hard sell off the pitch.

Indeed.  Obviously the first thing we need to do is stay up, because if we don't we'll see teams like Bournemouth and Watford with higher turnover than us.

After that, yes, I think Fox will have his work cut out.  I can't see anybody tripping over themselves to throw money at us on the commercial side, unless things take a significant turn for the better on the playing side.  Winning the FA Cup would be a start.

Doesn't it just show how awful he's been when you look at the money we've lost in order to fight relegation 4 years in a row.

Yes.

But the distinction is between us doing badly because he's running us badly, but in reasonably good faith

and

us doing badly because lerner is bleeding the club of money and is set to make a fortune because of deliberate mismanagement.

I don't think anyone will argue that Lerner has done a good job. But there still seems to be a significant number of fans who think lerner is taking money from the club and is set to make a bucket load by selling us, when it just isn't true.

he'll make money over his initial investment, but he won't get close to making back what he's put in.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Thought this might be a better thread to discuss the wages league that was brought up in the Benteke thread.

Does anyone else find it hard to believe that our wage bill is higher than West Hams. Andy Carroll on 100k a week, they must be paying Song a fortune, Downing will have been on big bucks too.

Thought this might be a better thread to discuss the wages league that was brought up in the Benteke thread.

Does anyone else find it hard to believe that our wage bill is higher than West Hams. Andy Carroll on 100k a week, they must be paying Song a fortune, Downing will have been on big bucks too.

Our wage bill includes a massive number of non playing staff. We employ roughly 3 times as many people as spurs, for example, for some bizarre reason. That wouldn't help

He's entrusted that money to his managers - whom he has shown great faith in - and they have squandered it on poor signings and even poorer football.

Could it be 5th time lucky with Sherwood?

To be fair to Lambert, his signing, especially when he spent a couple of million, were decent / good

ASTON VILLA

Accounts for the year to 31 May 2014

Ownership Owned by Randy Lerner, via Reform Acquisitions LLC, a US company.

Turnover 9th highest, £117m (up from £84m in 2013)

Gate and matchday £13m

TV and broadcasting £73m

Commercial £22m

Sponsorship £9m

Wage bill Joint 9th highest, £69m (down from £72m)

Wages as proportion of turnover 59%

Loss before tax £4m (following £52m loss in 2013)

Net debt £102m

Interest payable £1m

Highest-paid director £265,792 to unnamed director (Paul Faulkner was the chief executive throughout the year; he resigned in July 2014.)

State they’re in

This was the season American MBNA credit-card scion Randy Lerner finally announced his Villa venture was over and he wanted to sell. Villa’s finances, despite a miserable season under a downbeat Paul Lambert, show the club being moulded into a state fit for sale.

The wage bill barely increased despite a £33m increase in income, and Villa stated they spent nothing, net, on transfers last summer. Lerner wrote off £90m loans, leaving £86m still owed to him. Perhaps the new TV deals, and Tim Sherwood’s Tiggerish bounce, will attract a buyer.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/apr/29/premier-league-finances-club-by-club

all other clubs are available on that link

The 59% wage ratio is interesting. 60% is the magical figure we are supposed to aim for so that very good especially with the new TV money due it'll give us a lot of room to improve the squad and even offer big wages to the likes of Benteke to keep hold of him.

The 59% wage ratio is interesting. 60% is the magical figure we are supposed to aim for so that very good especially with the new TV money due it'll give us a lot of room to improve the squad and even offer big wages to the likes of Benteke to keep hold of him.

You also have to remember that these figures are before the likes of Ireland left I believe, with Bent heading out the door in the summer I'd say our finances should be much healthier now.

Â